PDA

View Full Version : any secrets to installing Kooks L.tubes??

sabtaj1
04-04-2007, 08:35 AM
I am wondering if there are any secrets to installing the Kooks long tube headers and x pipe. I will be putting some on here with in the next couple weeks and checking to see if there are any certain ways to do it to make it a little easier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Pics would be good to if you have them. Jason

KillJoy
04-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I know on the Mustang's, it is easier if you support the engine, and drop the cross member.

After looking at the MM from underneath, this MAY be the same route to take???

KillJoy

DEFYANT
04-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Howzabout:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Defyant/168342605044d9532e5e438.jpg

O's Fan Rich
04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I was looking at this just yesterday, since I have the SW headers. And having done the Cobra manifolds and x-pipe already.
Seems to me that removing the inner fender wells will be a big help. Then do one side at a time, raising the motor about 2 inches.

MADRODER
04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
According to Kooks website.....4-5 hrs....

Zack
04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
The drivers motor mount will not need to be touched. The passenger side yes.
The A/C compressor will need to be unbolted and moved forward.
Exhaust stud # 4(Top), #7(bottom) will need about 5/16" removed.

No wheel liners need to be removed.
The starter needs to be removed, good luck getting it back in! Have exact length 1/4" extension for that top bolt.

Do yourself a favor and eliminate the EGR, it is a pain. Also makes it easier for the cooling mod in the future.

Have a short open/box 13mm handy.

TooManyFords
04-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Adding to Zack's write-up..

I recommend having the header flange cut to make room for the oil dipstick tube so you don't have to remove it and try to get it back in. I broke one trying to reinstall it after putting the headers on.

Take your time. There are a lot of places to get frustrated when doing it. And I really recommend a hoist. I can't imagine doing this laying on my back in a driveway.

John

sabtaj1
04-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks very much. Should help alot.

Zack
04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Adding to Zack's write-up..

I recommend having the header flange cut to make room for the oil dipstick tube so you don't have to remove it and try to get it back in. I broke one trying to reinstall it after putting the headers on.

Take your time. There are a lot of places to get frustrated when doing it. And I really recommend a hoist. I can't imagine doing this laying on my back in a driveway.

John

Ive done this on one car, it works well.

Hoist? Whats that? :D

Also Jason, I coated the slip on pipes with high-temp anti-seize. Makes for an EASIER removal later on.

sabtaj1
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
OK, sounds good. I do have one more question. What do I have to do to remove the egr? I rember you saying this before and then you said it here to. Any info on the good and the bad of removing the egr would be good too. Thanks again.

burt ragio
04-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Did you use the same exaust manifold gaskets ?
Whats your take on the copper gaskets ?
I've also read some people are changeing out the studs & useing stang 8 locking fasteners part #8906.

sabtaj1
04-04-2007, 12:27 PM
I have not done the exhaust yet, soon. I will probably get new gaskets. No paper for me becouse they suck. I would do the copper ones. And I will most likely just use the original stud seeming everyone on here seems to not be having any problems doing that. I assume so anyways, never heard otherwise.

Zack
04-04-2007, 01:14 PM
To remove the EGR, I think you will need a -10 Flare Cap. I dont know cause I just have it welded closed. On the egr end, I cut the pipe about an inch from the fitting , crimp it and weld that shut. Or you can make a blockoff plate out of aluminum. Note: You will need to shut off the egr in the pcm. So factor in that programming fee before you make the decision.

You can reuse the manifold gaskets, but definitely swap the flange gaskets with copper.

sabtaj1
04-04-2007, 01:23 PM
This seems to be quite the job for installing these headers. I dont know if I wanna take the egr off or not then. I am not sure how much dennis would charge to change my progrm for me. I guess I will have to call him or somthing.

burt ragio
04-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Is the ( egr ) is the exaust gas recurculator pipe that warms the intake mixture durring cold starts ?
If this were disconnected how wound this effect engine functions in warm and cold weather and air fuel ratio or yearly auto inspections ?

KillJoy
04-04-2007, 01:41 PM
This seems to be quite the job for installing these headers. I dont know if I wanna take the egr off or not then. I am not sure how much dennis would charge to change my progrm for me. I guess I will have to call him or somthing.

If you have a DR Tune, updates are free.

KillJoy

Zack
04-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Is the ( egr ) is the exaust gas recurculator pipe that warms the intake mixture durring cold starts ?
If this were disconnected how wound this effect engine functions in warm and cold weather and air fuel ratio or yearly auto inspections ?

It affects nothing.
It is a complete waste of space, just like the coolant line routing through the intake manifold.
The car will run fine without it.

sabtaj1
04-04-2007, 03:14 PM
If you have a DR Tune, updates are free.

KillJoy

Thats good to know. I didnt know that. I am glad I asked this question, I have learned alot from this thread. More than I could find researching it. I will try to take pics when installing to give some insight, I am sure there alredy are pics but I couldnt find em. Thank you all for your responses. If you think of anything else... well you know. Thanks again. Jason