PDA

View Full Version : Install Tomorrow!

Zack
04-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Gonna transform Mike's car into a beast by dusk Saturday.
He's got the Standard Kit with the high mount Intercooler.
While were at it, Ill be installing the Rear Head cooling mod and swapping his upper and lower intake with powdercoated pieces.

I read through the manual already and dont forsee any problems.

I gotta hand it to Greg, this is the most well-packaged blower available.
I thought the T-KIT was impressive until I opened the procharger box.

If were are not too into it tomorrow, Ill take pictures as the we progress.

Wait, that's what Mike is there for, to pass me the beer and snap photos.
See Mike, you ARE good for something... :bigcry:

KillJoy
04-06-2007, 08:28 AM
:up:

Good luck guys! It shouldn't be too hard to get done in a day.

What is the "high mount intercooler"?

How easy / hard is it to do the Rear Cooling Mod w/o the Trans removed???

KillJoy

Zack
04-06-2007, 08:44 AM

Greg has 2 locations in his kit. One down low and the other behind the grill. Thought you knew that.

Easy.

KillJoy

rvaldez1
04-06-2007, 08:45 AM
While were at it, Ill be installing the Rear Head cooling mod and swapping his upper and lower intake with powdercoated pieces.

Cool Zack, what the hell, dont you have any free time!

High-C
04-06-2007, 09:07 AM

Ill be installing the Rear Head cooling mod and swapping his upper and lower intake with powdercoated pieces.

Zack, get some pics up of the powdercoated pieces before and after... I am having my cam covers coated (still looking for a good place) and I want to see how the intakes turn out. I'm sure it'll look great and SCREAM too. - C

Mike
04-06-2007, 01:36 PM

KillJoy

The "high mount intercooler" mounts behind the grill.

Mike
04-06-2007, 01:38 PM

This is going to be VERY interesting tomorrow :rolleyes:

KillJoy
04-06-2007, 01:40 PM
The "high mount intercooler" mounts behind the grill.

Yeah....I have seen those.... I just hadn't heard it worded like that though.

So.....when u getting that Chrome / Black Badgeless Grille???

KillJoy

Mike
04-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah....I have seen those.... I just hadn't heard it worded like that though.

So.....when u getting that Chrome / Black Badgeless Grille???

KillJoy

I've been thinking about it, but haven't made up my mind yet :confused:

fastblackmerc
04-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Zack, get some pics up of the powdercoated pieces before and after... I am having my cam covers coated (still looking for a good place) and I want to see how the intakes turn out. I'm sure it'll look great and SCREAM too. - C

I had my cam covers and crossover tube coated by a guy here in the Raleigh, NC area. Excellent job and reasonably priced. PM me and I'll give you his # if your interested.

High-C
04-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I had my cam covers and crossover tube coated by a guy here in the Raleigh, NC area. Excellent job and reasonably priced. PM me and I'll give you his # if your interested.

I'm still a long way from the funds for my next project... I am just making sure that I prep properly. I will keep your man in mind and I appreciate your advice. - C

Drewstang
04-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Be sure to spell out in detail the rear head cooling mod.:)

I would like to do this before summer gets here.

RUSTY
04-06-2007, 07:31 PM
And if possible the intercooler install photos
Thanks

DEFYANT
04-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Mike, Congrats on getting supercharged. You are going to love it!!

Zack, I look forward to your review of the install.

Have fun you guys :D

michael ward
04-06-2007, 08:47 PM
good luck guys hope all goes well lot of pics and a good burnout:burnout:

Rider90
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Enjoy it, Mike! You'll love your new-found power :beer:

MM03MOK
04-07-2007, 04:40 AM
You're in good hands, Mike! You'll be all set for our next road trip!! :beer:

Mike
04-07-2007, 05:04 AM
You're in good hands, Mike! You'll be all set for our next road trip!! :beer:

I know I am!! I feel very good about the install and who's doing it :banana2:

Zack
04-08-2007, 07:42 AM
16 hours later we finished.
We broke the adapter off the drivers side exhaust manifold which led to many hours of trying to make up time. I really thought it was going well because we started at 8:30am and I already had the fuel pump in and the upper and lower intake off at 9:30. As well as the plugs installed.

The cooling mod was pretty uneventful until I lost the freeze plug inside the head. Took a solid hour to get that out.

The blower and bracket assembly is very user friendly and took the least amount of time. I also like how the stock cooling fan shroud is reused upside down.
Installing the intercooler was easy, but the pipes....
I feel the pipes and collars could be improved upon. There are just too many pipes and collars and hose clamps. There must have been 8-10 pipes included. Another concern I had was the lack of support of these pipes once installed A bracket of some sort on each side underneath the car would secure things nicely.
The last rant is the hose/pipe hook up to the inlet of the intercooler. Many sware words could be avoided with a tight turn 90 degree collar. For 20 bucks, this would make life much easier. We also had a collar blow off on the test ride at this location. I also had to trim the 90 degree elbow on the inlet of the blower.

We ended up capping off/eliminating the egr and I think Mike will leave it this way. Funny, it didnt throw a code making me think its turned off in the supplied tune, which is a good thing.

Got the tune loaded and the car fired right up! We had an o-ring on the transfer tube leak on us but we got that straightened out quickly(We used the existing tube cause this car had a procharger on it a while back) The o-ring just gave up when we loosened it.

The IAT sensor is supposed to be installed in a collar near the throttle body, but I drilled a hole in the aluminum elbow and installed it with a gromet.

We never beat on the car, but it ran really good.
All in all, we had fun and enjoyed the install.
Ive installed every kit available!

KillJoy
04-08-2007, 08:08 AM

How easy does the PTK Turbo Kit install compaired to the S/C options?

:poke:

;)

KillJoy

Mike
04-08-2007, 11:21 AM
First I'd like to THANK Zack for all the work he put into getting the car running in one day and running right :bows: :bows: :bows:

Second I'd like to thank Greg *FIT* :bows: :bows: :bows: for a great product. Everything was packaged so you could find things easily and it wasn't too difficult to install. I would have to agree with Zack though when he said there were too many connections, but I also know it's done this way to help keep costs down.

Yes, I will keep the EGR capped off at the manifold, just using the proper cap (we had to use what parts/pieces were available) and I hope to change that tomorrow.

I hope that in the next couple of weeks I can get it on the dyno and do my best to post what numbers come up.

Last but not least, a thanks to Becky for letting me keep Zack for the day!! ;) ;) ;)

16 hours later we finished.
We broke the adapter off the drivers side exhaust manifold which led to many hours of trying to make up time. I really thought it was going well because we started at 8:30am and I already had the fuel pump in and the upper and lower intake off at 9:30. As well as the plugs installed.

The cooling mod was pretty uneventful until I lost the freeze plug inside the head. Took a solid hour to get that out.

The blower and bracket assembly is very user friendly and took the least amount of time. I also like how the stock cooling fan shroud is reused upside down.
Installing the intercooler was easy, but the pipes....
I feel the pipes and collars could be improved upon. There are just too many pipes and collars and hose clamps. There must have been 8-10 pipes included. Another concern I had was the lack of support of these pipes once installed A bracket of some sort on each side underneath the car would secure things nicely.
The last rant is the hose/pipe hook up to the inlet of the intercooler. Many sware words could be avoided with a tight turn 90 degree collar. For 20 bucks, this would make life much easier. We also had a collar blow off on the test ride at this location. I also had to trim the 90 degree elbow on the inlet of the blower.

We ended up capping off/eliminating the egr and I think Mike will leave it this way. Funny, it didnt throw a code making me think its turned off in the supplied tune, which is a good thing.

Got the tune loaded and the car fired right up! We had an o-ring on the transfer tube leak on us but we got that straightened out quickly(We used the existing tube cause this car had a procharger on it a while back) The o-ring just gave up when we loosened it.

The IAT sensor is supposed to be installed in a collar near the throttle body, but I drilled a hole in the aluminum elbow and installed it with a gromet.

We never beat on the car, but it ran really good.
All in all, we had fun and enjoyed the install.

Marauderjack
04-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Welcome to the world of "Pressure" Mike!!:beer:

What did you do with the PCV system?? The PC setup is not good and should be changed!!:shake:

Simple and very inexpensive!!:bows:

Marauderjack:burnout:

MarauderTJA
04-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Congratulations Mike:up:. Welcome to the world of boost...you might as well order a set of rear tires now....you'll need them.:D

Mike
04-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Congratulations Mike:up:. Welcome to the world of boost...you might as well order a set of rear tires now....you'll need them.:D

I've already thought of that. When buying a s/c think about purchasing a new set of rears at the same time :burn: !!!

juno
04-09-2007, 06:14 AM
How easy does the PTK Turbo Kit install compaired to the S/C options?

:poke:

;)

KillJoy

Ouch!! :D :D

But in reality it's a weekend project as you have to replace the headers also. A couple of good wrenches could do it in one long day.

Zack
04-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Welcome to the world of "Pressure" Mike!!:beer:

What did you do with the PCV system?? The PC setup is not good and should be changed!!:shake:

Simple and very inexpensive!!:bows:

If you mean route the drivers side to the intake manifold accompanied with an EV-111, we can do that.

The only benefit to this, which is a big one I suppose, is keeping oil out of the piping and intercooler.

We'll do that soon, just wanted to get it in and running.

Marauderjack
04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
If you mean route the drivers side to the intake manifold accompanied with an EV-111, we can do that.

The only benefit to this, which is a big one I suppose, is keeping oil out of the piping and intercooler.

Yepperz Zack......That's it and it will not only keep the crud out of the blower but also keep the oil cleaner as well!!

NICE JOB!!:beer:

michael ward
04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
any pictures like to see that setup??

Zack
04-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I took about 3 in the first hour but didnt take any more, like usual!

Joe Walsh
04-09-2007, 10:34 AM

Yepperz Zack......That's it and it will not only keep the crud out of the blower but also keep the oil cleaner as well!!

I want to make this PCV mod to my Procharger when(ever) I get around to installing it.
Can you go in to more detail about this mod, how it re-routes the PCV line(s) and if it affects the OEM PCV function at all?
EV-111 is a Mustang Cobra PCV?
Thanks, Joe

Marauderjack
04-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I want to make this PCV mod to my Procharger when(ever) I get around to installing it.
Can you go in to more detail about this mod, how it re-routes the PCV line(s) and if it affects the OEM PCV function at all?
EV-111 is a Mustang Cobra PCV?
Thanks, Joe

Michael & Joe,

It is really quite simple!!:beer:

You put the EV-111 in the grommet at the back of the driver's side valve cover and route it to the present PCV vacuum fitting on the intake (passenger's side).....Now remove the OEM PCV valve and pry the plastic retainer out of the bottom and remove the guts (as I recall it was a spring and plastic valve inside)??:confused: Put the gutted OEM PCV valve (it is now simply a vent fitting) back in place and route it to the fitting on the blower intake tube.

Now what happens is while under vacuum the EV-111 PCV valve allows crank case fumes to be drawn into the intake thus "sweeping" moisture, blow by, and whatever else into the intake to be burned.......Under boost the EV-111 closes so the crank case will not be pressurized and any venting necessary goes through the gutted OEM PCV valve to the blower intake!!:bows:

I have had mine set up like this for 53K miles and the blower is still clean leading me to believe that the venting under pressure is very minimal while the PCV setup remains very efficient!!:beer:

I think I have some photos if anyone needs them.....shoot me a PM!!;)

da'law
04-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Will definitely enjoy it and with a Zack install the car will rust away before anything he has does breaks. I have had mine installed for about a month and half and I had to order new rear tires already as they sacrified themselves for my enjoyment at 19,500 miles.

Mike
04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Michael & Joe,

It is really quite simple!!:beer:

You put the EV-111 in the grommet at the back of the driver's side valve cover and route it to the present PCV vacuum fitting on the intake (passenger's side).....Now remove the OEM PCV valve and pry the plastic retainer out of the bottom and remove the guts (as I recall it was a spring and plastic valve inside)??:confused: Put the gutted OEM PCV valve (it is now simply a vent fitting) back in place and route it to the fitting on the blower intake tube.

Now what happens is while under vacuum the EV-111 PCV valve allows crank case fumes to be drawn into the intake thus "sweeping" moisture, blow by, and whatever else into the intake to be burned.......Under boost the EV-111 closes so the crank case will not be pressurized and any venting necessary goes through the gutted OEM PCV valve to the blower intake!!:bows:

I have had mine set up like this for 53K miles and the blower is still clean leading me to believe that the venting under pressure is very minimal while the PCV setup remains very efficient!!:beer:

I think I have some photos if anyone needs them.....shoot me a PM!!;)

Thanks for the explanation :D

da'law
04-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Pm sent........

Mike
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Pm sent as well

Marauderjack
04-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey Guys....

Attached are a couple of pix....you can't see too much but it is really easy to do!!:cool:

HwyCruiser
04-09-2007, 03:20 PM
See here for a write-up on the PCV mod.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25641

Credit Jack for the where goes whats.

Joe Walsh
04-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the explanation, photos, and the link to the prior thread!

Just one more question; what is the difference between the EV-111 and the EV-153 PCV valves?

Marauderjack
04-10-2007, 03:59 AM
Hey folks,

I posted up some better pix in post #36....

Marauderjack:beer:

HwyCruiser
04-10-2007, 05:33 AM

Zack - first, good job on the install.

The EGR isn't turned off, it only operates in a very narrow load band above 2k rpm... basically on the highway with the cruise on. That's probably the only reason I still get 20 mpg with the 4.30s. No reason not to hook it back up.

Zack
04-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Zack - first, good job on the install.

The EGR isn't turned off, it only operates in a very narrow load band above 2k rpm... basically on the highway with the cruise on. That's probably the only reason I still get 20 mpg with the 4.30s. No reason not to hook it back up.

EGR's are a waste of space.
Ever try doing the cooling mod with the EGR tube still there? :bigcry: