PDA

View Full Version : muffler rattle, need suggestions!!

ultravorx
04-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, heres a new problem with my marauder, should be a simple fix. I have aero turbine mufflers witht he reinhart full exhaust kit. Today i started to hear a rattle under the car, i went underneath and sure enough, the rattle is from the muffler!!

Then i noticed a 2" crack at the neck of the muffler. Stranger thing there is no weld near this area, but exhaust air is leaking out of there. So basically i need new mufflers.

I've been thinking of getting flowmaster 40 series, because they have a nice sound to them, i also heard good things with the magnaflows as well. Basically what im looking for is a decent idle rumble. and a loud roar when you really step on it.

Any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks,

Frank

Rider90
04-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Frank,

Do a search on Spintech, on this board. I created a few threads, with videos, that should still be working. That should help you out atleast in the Spintech department.

Grifter
04-07-2007, 09:28 PM
what are you doing with the old mufflers? :D

ctrlraven
04-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I've been thinking of getting flowmaster 40 series, because they have a nice sound to them. Basically what im looking for is a decent idle rumble. and a loud roar when you really step on it.

Thanks,

Frank

Kind of long but you'll hear idle and loud roar upclose and from far away. I only have oem exhaust piping with flowmasters 40s and res-delete tips in this video. Last month I had my rear cats removed, sounds even better now....for the mean time lol.
1PMtU6feomQ

You'll hear a lot of drone, it's not that loud in person, my video camera just picks sound up extremely well.

fastblackmerc
04-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Magnaflows are the only way to go!

ckadiddle
04-08-2007, 07:34 AM
My local exhaust nad brakes guy and another exhaust guy I consulted both prefer magnaflows for long term durability. But, listen to what other folks with similar setups to your have and decide from there. You have to be happy with them, not the rest of us.

Several of us in the Orlando area had mufflers completely eliminated, I was the only one to go back and have magnaflows installed. Sounded awesome, like a big block old school Parnelli Jones racing Marauder. Definitely a head turner. The difference? For them, the MM is a "play" car, the drive it for fun on weekends and such. Mine is driven to work every day, on out of town trips, grocery store, dr appts, it's our everything car. Our main mode of transport. I loved the sound, but it was annoying to me on some days and drone was annoying in the back seat on a long trip.

FordNut
04-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Most folks have gone with Magnaflows. Personally, I like my Edelbrocks.

Marauder386
04-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Personally, I like F R P dual-mode mufflers...

8)

Drock96Marquis
04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Personally, I like F R P dual-mode mufflers...

8)
Didn't another member find his FRPP dual-modes internal's disintegrated after a few years? (was it Defyant?)

gonzo50
04-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I've been thinking of getting flowmaster 40 series, because they have a nice sound to them, i also heard good things with the magnaflows as well. Basically what im looking for is a decent idle rumble. and a loud roar when you really step on it.

Thanks,
Frank

Magnaflows are the only way to go!
Yes Sir........Magnaflows all the way, you wont get that rumble you're looking for with just the mufflers by themselves.
I like my set up with the Hi-Flow Cats, X-Pipe, and the 18" MagnaFlows. :banana:
You could also go with the res-delete tips, and Headers.

ultravorx
04-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Yes Sir........Magnaflows all the way, you wont get that rumble you're looking for with just the mufflers by themselves.
I like my set up with the Hi-Flow Cats, X-Pipe, and the 18" MagnaFlows. :banana:
You could also go with the res-delete tips, and Headers.

Right now i have the full exhaust kit from reinhart. x pipe, cobra manifolds, high flow cats.

I would consider going muffler(less), but i know i have an inspection due in november, so i'd get hit there.

I think i figured out where the crack/rattle came from. During my problem with the shut down dealer, my car was encased in snow, and the tow truck had to go in sideways and i remember him hitting and lifting the muffler in question. Now its time to pony up, right now im debating between spintech and magnaflows!

I really appreciate the feedback, it really does help!!!

Frank

KillJoy
04-08-2007, 05:57 PM
The bad thing w/ asking opinions on mufflers, is that, well....it is opinion.

Everyone's ear likes, or dislikes, certain things.

Zack had a full 3" previously. Sounded awesome! But, it was not for me...it was TOO loud.

Jerry (in Ohio), is muffler-less. Also sounded great....but the DRONE!!!

I had a Gibson on my Dakota (R.I.P). It made that wee V6 sound like a BIG BLOCK!.... until you punched it :rolleyes:

Another thing to consider is each person's Mods. One may have the Cobra Setup, another the Kooks. One Res Deletes, another the 4" honkers. Each of these little things WILL add up to a different sound.

MY recommendation, it to listen to as many different setups as you can. Hell, Mustangs are close enough :D If you are happy w/ what you have, why not just buy the same thing? If you just have 1 bad muffler...it would be cheaper ;)

KillJoy

Herco23
04-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I've had Borla Exhaust and love the sound.

Kennyrauder
04-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I have the cat,s meow. Magnaflows kooks headers, kooks catalitic converters& h pipe ..tips delete &megs tips. My Marauder turns heads everywhere I go. Plus the increase in performance. All supplied by Denis Reinhart but installed here in Canada,. I'm sure Denis could install what you neede & in your budget,

DEFYANT
04-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Didn't another member find his FRPP dual-modes internal's disintegrated after a few years? (was it Defyant?)

Yup. There is a slight rattle until they warm up. I am planning ona trip to Atlanta for some...... changes :D , oh and SSHS in November.