PDA

View Full Version : Need Classic Help

Dragcity
04-12-2007, 07:34 AM
It is time for me to tap into the vast knowledge of my peers here.

I pulled out my 1965 Thunderbird this week. Nice to see her again. The exhaust manifolds have been leaking for a good long time now, and I have been trying to locate a manufacturer of headers for this old Bird....

The only thing I was able to find was somebody on e-bay that says he has the exact application. I just don't trust it...

I know the Thunderbird is not a popular car to put headers on, but the OEM exhaust manifolds have a tendancy to leak all the time. The proper application of headers will solve this problem forever.

This is an original, numbers matching, un-bastardized Thunderbird. It has power stearing, air and the factory 4 barrel 390. Dual exhaust was standard.

I will be rebuilding the engine this year, and want to plan on the permanent exhaust fix. If I must, I will resurface the manifolds and hope for the best, but would really like to do the headers...

Any ideas. I have struck out thus far.

Thanks all...

JMan
04-13-2007, 03:18 AM
Dude,
That car is worth far more money unadulterated. Take the OE pipes to a machine shop and have them surfaced. Get some topline FelPro gaskets and make sure to retension the fasteners after a couple dozen thermal cycles. Please don't ruin an all-original classic like that one!

Best wishes,

J

Marauderjack
04-13-2007, 03:31 AM
Hey Joe.....

Re-surface the manifolds and get some Earl's gaskets that have aluminum frames with graphite inserts and are reusable!!! This was the ONLY way I could solve exhaust leaks on my Cobra!!!:beer: :bows:

Check with Summit and see if they have them for your car.....well worth the $35-$40 in the long run!!

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

Dragcity
04-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info. guys. And thanks for the vote for keeping her all original, that's what I want too.

Looks like I'll be getting dirty in a few weeks. Hope none of those manifold studs break. I'll start soaking them down now!

Jack, is that just gasket material and I make my own, or pre-cut per application?