PDA

View Full Version : exhaust advise

chucky
04-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I need some advise I want to mod my exhaust system I still cant get use to $1500.00 system prices. Id like some more power and better mileage and I think it should be a little louder. Does anyone think the same way?

Advancedautosec
04-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Im going to get some work on mine this week actually. for starters im having two of the cats removed and changing the mufflers to magnaflow. I think that will help it breathe a little better and be a little louder.

chucky
04-14-2007, 02:26 PM
if you remove the cats wont that cause it to code up (check engine light to come on)

Advancedautosec
04-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Ive been told by a couple of people that it wont. Im only removing one set of cats, still leaving a pair in there. That should be good enough, Ill know for sure by thursday. or maybe someone else on here might know.

ctrlraven
04-14-2007, 02:52 PM
I have my second set of cats removed and was pleased with the exhaust tone difference and it seemed to have a little more get up and go. I have Flowmaster 40 series with res-delete tips extened out past the bumper 1.5".

Having the second set removed will not throw a code because they sit behind the second set of cats and if you have a tune their turned off anyways.

fastblackmerc
04-14-2007, 03:13 PM
if you remove the cats wont that cause it to code up (check engine light to come on)

No, I had the 4 cats surgically removed and replaced with 2 hi-flow cats. No codes.

fastblackmerc
04-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I need some advise I want to mod my exhaust system I still cant get use to $1500.00 system prices. Id like some more power and better mileage and I think it should be a little louder. Does anyone think the same way?

Just remember "you get what you pay for" and quality work and parts aren't cheap.

Advancedautosec
04-14-2007, 03:17 PM
thanks for clarifying that about the cats.

KillJoy
04-14-2007, 04:00 PM
If I may...

I would recommend that you have your exhaust shop remove the Cat Pipe all the way to the Mufflers. (Leave the Mufflers, for now ;) )

Have them install, to the best of their ability, a new H-Pipe w/ 1 High Flow Cat on each Side. Have both sets of O2's installed, one in front of the Cat, the other behind it.

Drive it around a bit. If you want more sound, get a new set of mufflers (highly subjective, and individual preference) and get a set of Res Delete Tips, from Wes...a Vendor here ;) . Have those new tips extended 1.5" out past the end of the bumper. It will help kill some drone.

I would also recommend using SS Piping, and Mandrel Bends...but that is up to you :up:

KillJoy

crouse
04-14-2007, 05:15 PM
I agree with Killjoy.

I recently had a local shop install two 2.5" Magnaflow cats with a custom X-Pipe then to Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow mufflers. I think it's too loud inside the car and I don't like the sound. At around 2500 rpm & light to medium throttle, it sounds like a V6. From what I read, an H-Pipe will give a deeper sound. I've got a set of 03/04 Mustang Cobra exhaust manifolds that will be going on soon then I'm going to have my local exhaust shop connect up to my system then replace the X-pipe with an H-pipe.

Marauderjack
04-15-2007, 04:25 AM
I agree with Killjoy.

I recently had a local shop install two 2.5" Magnaflow cats with a custom X-Pipe then to Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow mufflers. I think it's too loud inside the car and I don't like the sound. At around 2500 rpm & light to medium throttle, it sounds like a V6. From what I read, an H-Pipe will give a deeper sound. I've got a set of 03/04 Mustang Cobra exhaust manifolds that will be going on soon then I'm going to have my local exhaust shop connect up to my system then replace the X-pipe with an H-pipe.

Good decision......"H" pipe will sound more mellow with Old School "Burble"!!!:beer: :beer: My "X" pipe sounded too "V6-ish" too ..... "Zippy"!!:argue:

If you have "Cabin Drone" it is usually a function of the type mufflers you have......all baffled mufflers resonate and drone.....straight through ones send all the racket out the back where it belongs!!!:bows:

If you still have OEM tips...stick with them for now and change later if you want more noise??:cool:

Good Luck!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

sailsmen
04-15-2007, 04:35 AM
I drive 20K per year and I am on the cell doing bus.

I was looking for durability, increased performance and a better sound. I purchased Reinharts Cobra Exhaust system.

It met the criteria.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Does Reinhart's system use the Ford SVT dual mode mufflers? Those look like a neat idea.

Krytin
04-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Ford SVT dual mode mufflers? Those look like a neat idea.
Hopefully the person on this site who has tried them and found the oposite will join in on this! Not neat when the little trap doors/flappers freeze up in one position - and they will!

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Oh, that's too bad. It looks like a great compromise to have low noise when you are cruising. I was thinking of using them on one of my other vehicles.

oldekid
04-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Hopefully the person on this site who has tried them and found the oposite will join in on this! Not neat when the little trap doors/flappers freeze up in one position - and they will!I've had them on mine now for right at two years. . . . and not one problem. I would probably love it if they did stick in the open position. . . but that's just me.
:beer:

fastblackmerc
04-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Hopefully the person on this site who has tried them and found the oposite will join in on this! Not neat when the little trap doors/flappers freeze up in one position - and they will!

Either freeze or break off.

DEFYANT
04-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Does Reinhart's system use the Ford SVT dual mode mufflers? Those look like a neat idea.

No.

Ay, you talkin 'bout me?

I have the DMs. After a couple of years they have begun to rattle when cold. After the system heats up, they are fine. I have devloped a small drone around 2200-2500 RPM... but it is not bad. I started off with the Magnaflows. And they sounded fantastic. But after a short break in period, they DRONED!!

During real heavy use, they seem to stay "open". And sound awsome - with my exhaust set up.

My future plan is to Dynomat the interior as part of an ongoing better sound system project. If it gets real quiet like I've been told, I *may* go back to the Magnaflows when I see TAF in November.

magindat
04-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Good decision......"H" pipe will sound more mellow with Old School "Burble"!!!:beer: :beer: My "X" pipe sounded too "V6-ish" too ..... "Zippy"!!:argue:

If you have "Cabin Drone" it is usually a function of the type mufflers you have......all baffled mufflers resonate and drone.....straight through ones send all the racket out the back where it belongs!!!:bows:

If you still have OEM tips...stick with them for now and change later if you want more noise??:cool:

Good Luck!!:beer:

Trnaslation: Use Mangaflow and NOT Flowmaster!!!! :D

tmac1337
04-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Cobra25 may have a used Reinhart exhaust system for sale, in great shape, for only a few hundred bucks, PM him.

Marauderjack
04-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Amen...Bro!!!!:beer:

I was just trying to be "Politically Correct" since there is a high level of sensitivity here lately!!:eek:

Exhaust tone is so subjective NOBODY can tell anyone else what is right.....I got lucky after 4 stages of exhaust changes!!:beer:

I am VERY happy with the results and would do it again!!:D

Krytin
04-17-2007, 11:40 AM
No.

Ay, you talkin 'bout me?

I have the DMs. After a couple of years they have begun to rattle when cold. After the system heats up, they are fine. I have devloped a small drone around 2200-2500 RPM... but it is not bad. I started off with the Magnaflows. And they sounded fantastic. But after a short break in period, they DRONED!!

During real heavy use, they seem to stay "open". And sound awsome - with my exhaust set up.

My future plan is to Dynomat the interior as part of an ongoing better sound system project. If it gets real quiet like I've been told, I *may* go back to the Magnaflows when I see TAF in November.

Yeah, I'm tawkin' about you!
I don't like to mention people by name in case I get the facts wrong!

RCSignals
04-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Amen...Bro!!!!:beer:

I was just trying to be "Politically Correct" since there is a high level of sensitivity here lately!!:eek:

Exhaust tone is so subjective NOBODY can tell anyone else what is right.....I got lucky after 4 stages of exhaust changes!!:beer:

I am VERY happy with the results and would do it again!!:D

Sensitivity over Mangaflow or Flowmaster ? :eek:
Exhaust system threads are the new oil threads :lol:

chucky
04-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Is the Reinhart exhaust system for a stock setup Ive heard people say its more for a sc setup.