PDA

View Full Version : X-Calibrator2

RCSignals
04-18-2007, 12:18 PM
When this tuner came out it was said there would be a later upgrade for more features such as data logging etc. Is this now available?
If so where can this be obtained, and are all the current units sold upgraded?

Should the tuner come standard with a USB cable or is that an extra item?

Lidio
04-18-2007, 12:42 PM
When this tuner came out it was said there would be a later upgrade for more features such as data logging etc. Is this now available?
If so where can this be obtained, and are all the current units sold upgraded?

Should the tuner come standard with a USB cable or is that an extra item?

The unit doesn't come with a USB cable. You need to get that on your own. It works the best as a pass through data logger by down loading SCT's software called "Live-Link". With this you can use a laptop plugged into the Xcal-II and watch lots of stuff on OBD-II Ford's.

To be honest I've never used the built in data logging features on the Xcal-II's.

TooManyFords
04-18-2007, 12:55 PM
To be honest I've never used the built in data logging features on the Xcal-II's.

Maybe because the XCal-II doesn't have onboard datalogging?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

:D

John

RCSignals
04-18-2007, 01:27 PM
The unit doesn't come with a USB cable. You need to get that on your own. It works the best as a pass through data logger by down loading SCT's software called "Live-Link". With this you can use a laptop plugged into the Xcal-II and watch lots of stuff on OBD-II Ford's.

thanks Lidio.

I had thought there was some reflash for the X-Cal2 itself to enable data logging. Maybe all that is needed is the Live -Link software.

jdando
04-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I have done some data logging with a friends XCAL-II and the Live Link software. It was not a seamless, easy process. I have the Trilogy S/C that has a daughter board in the ECM which makes it even more glitchy:help:

All that being said, it can be done and give you a ton of information.

Here is a screenshot of one of my logs.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/1/0/2/screenshot1.jpg

When I was data logging I had frequent software crashes, I would hope they have updated the software since then and it is more stable.

Here is the link for the Live -Link download.
http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php

There is also a forum for Live-Link.
http://www.sctflash.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76

jeremy

RCSignals
04-18-2007, 03:34 PM
thanks for that. When you say Trilogy daughter board you must mean a chip?

jdando
04-18-2007, 05:15 PM
thanks for that. When you say Trilogy daughter board you must mean a chip?

Yep, exactly.

Raudermaster
04-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Jeremy, (or Lidio) is the LiveLink software free? Is it on the SCT CD or what?

Lidio
04-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Jeremy, (or Lidio) is the LiveLink software free? Is it on the SCT CD or what?

Yes its free on SCT's site, I never looked to see if it was included in the CD that comes with Xcal-II's.

RCSignals
04-18-2007, 08:02 PM
You have to read the available software downloads carefully. Some talk about converting a 9415 to a 9400 etc.

With my luck I'd end up with an expensive paper weight

Marauder386
04-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Your having problems with the LiveLink because of the chip on your ECM...its not really intended to read over the chips, no matter what brand it is.

:cool:

Lidio
04-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Your having problems with the LiveLink because of the chip on your ECM...its not really intended to read over the chips, no matter what brand it is.

:cool:

If that's the case, SCT offers a special adapter cable that goes on the OBD port that allows the data logging to work correctly if you have a chip at the same time that your trying to use the Live-Link software with a Xcal-II. You cant flash a EEC-5 computer while a chip is installed. But with this adapter cable - the Live-Link is fully functional.

DEFYANT
04-19-2007, 05:22 AM
I have countless data logs using the x-cal2. Never had a problem. I use a flash tune, so there is no chip.

I would like to learn more about this software. I've posted this over on sctflash as have many others. Sct does not like to tell us the details of how to use their product. They tell you what it can do but not how to do it.

jdando
04-19-2007, 06:20 AM
With my luck I'd end up with an expensive paper weight

I do not think so. Your XCAL-II is a good tool regardless of the datalogging or not. Datalogging is a added bonus of the unit. The Live-Link is a free download, so the only thing you will be out is your time.

If you enter into this project thinking it will be "plug and play" or a very simple process you will probably be disappointed. If you go in with a mindset of "lets see what I can learn and how I can make this work" you will learn tons about OBDI-II, EEC, XCAL-II and Live-Link. Another important point for me is not to put a hard deadline, like this has to work NOW.

For me it took phone calls to Lidio, Charlie and Todd, download/install/reinstall of drivers, buying special cables, etc.

If you already have a XCAL-II go for it! Use the resources available on the board, feel free to pm me or call.

jeremy

RCSignals
04-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks. I do have the X-cal2 as it comes with the Trilogy kit. I'm interested in taking advantage of it's features. They are there so why not?

I agree with Charlie, the SCT site isn't the most user friendly for the 'how to' parts.