PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Tranny?

TooManyFords
05-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I've now got a vibration about 55-60 mph and think it is time to start looking into upgrading the rest of the drivetrain.

I'm going to have the driveshaft checked and balanced first. Then swap out the big rear tires for som stock sized ones to make sure they are not the problem. And finally, I've checked the tailshaft housing and see a little fluid there. I suspect I may have finally done the tranny in.

So, I'm looking for options to replate the 4R70W.

I like the looks of the FB Performance 4STB-E but I would rather not have a manual valve body. I like the trans-brake and locking OD in it too.

Are there any other options?

John

Zack
05-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Maybe the sidewalls on the tires are giving up. Makes sense.

FordNut
05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Maybe the tires, I would also look into gettina a carbon fiber driveshaft. I would have gotten a CF instead of the MMX if it had been readily available when I got my upgraded shaft.

As for tranny, one popular option with the 'stang crowd is the TH400 with a GearVendors overdrive unit attached to it. Strong, still has OD, but loses the locking torque converter.

Mad4Macs
05-03-2007, 03:37 PM
I've now got a vibration about 55-60 mph and think it is time to start looking into upgrading the rest of the drivetrain.

Vibrations??? Aren't you running a 6-71??? Dude, what you're hearing is the Earth as it Trembles Beneath Your Throttle.
Even Chuck Norris is impressed.

TooManyFords
05-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Process of elimination time:

1. Swap the rears for a pair off the 07 mustang and test.

2. Replace the plugs -again- to make sure it's not a load-based miss.

3. ???

FordNut
05-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Process of elimination time:

3. ???

Re-clock the driveshaft.

cyclopsram
05-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Probably the vibration is a shimmy shake ...tires like to be out of dynamic balance at those speeds...

MarauderTJA
05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Go with a Lentech Street Terminator Plus John. Rated for 1000 HP and drives normal. Around $3K but will do the job. Shifts normal on the street in Drive, yet has the guts to handle massive power. That is my last and final upgrade to my car. Hope to have it by the end of the summer. Then I can run teh race tune this fall at SSHS7 with C16 gas and a 100 shot.

FordNut
05-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Go with a Lentech Street Terminator Plus John. Rated for 1000 HP and drives normal. Around $3K but will do the job. Shifts normal on the street in Drive, yet has the guts to handle massive power. That is my last and final upgrade to my car. Hope to have it by the end of the summer. Then I can run teh race tune this fall at SSHS7 with C16 gas and a 100 shot.

That's what I'm running and I like it.

TooManyFords
05-03-2007, 07:47 PM

Yep! That and a transbrake mod and I think I've found my tranny.

Thanks guys.

I'll post up this weekend what I find with the vibration.

John