PDA

View Full Version : X Pipe or H Pipe

04MRADR
05-08-2007, 08:05 PM
:cool: I see many items on the threads about X Pipe versus H Pipe. Can someone explain to me what the difference is? I am a geek with terminology. Am I right that H pipes are essentially stright thru exhaust while X Pipe is where the pipes come together in the center of the car off the maifolds and then flare out again to get to the exhaust tips?

Also, do any of the major muffler manufacturers (Borla, Magnaflow, Dynamax, or Flowmaster) sell a complete either X Pipe or H Pipe system with mufflers that's easy to install? Any suggestions? Would you know the system part numbers?

Raudermaster
05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty sure all of them use H pipes, I could be wrong though. I know Bassani sells X pipe's.

Marauderjack
05-09-2007, 03:41 AM
Ironically most OEM systems are "H" pipe oriented while aftermarket suppliers lean toward "X" arrangements and claim power gains??:confused:

There are no bolt on "Complete" kits for the Marauder.....The number of cars produced was way too small for manufacturers to develop systems!!:shake:

Paul's HP was working with Bassani (sp?) and I was interested in the prototype they were testing but they trashed it when it showed no performance gain and exhaust sound is very subjective!!??:confused:

The OEM exhaust system on the Marauder is actually pretty good!!!:beer: Ask Lidio....he put down some impressive 1320 numbers with the OEM exhaust on his blower car!!:bows:

My take on it.....dicounting any HP gains.....is the "H" pipe gives more of a low pithced, "Old School" Hot Rod sound while the "X" gives a higher pitched "Zoomey" sound....it basically boils down to what YOU want in the way of sound since 5-10 HP either way won't make much difference anyway??:rolleyes:

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

jim geary
05-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Kooks made a complete system for sale to Marauder owners. 1800.00 Don't know if it's still available or not, but I enjoy mine with the 18" magnaflows. The only thing the system didn't come with was Wes's 4" tips.

Rider90
05-09-2007, 08:27 AM
I've heard great things about the "U" pipe. ;)

ctrlraven
05-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Theirs a "performance" and sound difference between the two. Yes the X-pipe will show a slight hp gain over an H-pipe but at a higher rpm range. If you want some down low muscle car sound go with an H-pipe, if you want the top end zippy sound go with an X-pipe lol. Either way the car will be louder and run a little better and if your not into drag racing it then either one would do just fine. Best thing to do is hang out with some other Marauder owners who have modified their exhaust and listen to it inside and outside of the car and then make your own judgement. Me I perfer an H-pipe for some 40 series dual chamber Flowmasters for that throaty muscle sound.

Zack
05-09-2007, 09:04 AM
When I did a custom exhaust for my car, I went old school, No H or X.
Absolutely no difference.

rvaldez1
05-09-2007, 12:10 PM
When I did a custom exhaust for my car, I went old school, No H or X.
Absolutely no difference.

I followed Zack this past weekend while he was in the kenne bell. That som*itch is LOUD! It sounds like fricken nascar.

KAILUAZ
05-13-2007, 07:11 AM
X's sound best with the modular motors. Had one on my 04 Stang and it was killer.

Raudermaster
05-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Agreed with above. I've heard many N/A '99/'01 Cobra's with X's and they sound great.

KillJoy
05-13-2007, 08:14 AM
You know....asking folks opinion on exhaust SOUND, is like "Which Blizzard flavor is best?". I mean, it is OBVIOULSY Heath Bar...but still :D

Everyone has a opinion, and rarely do 2 folks always share the same ones.....

KillJoy

PS - H > X :D

Cobra25
05-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Theirs a "performance" and sound difference between the two. Yes the X-pipe will show a slight hp gain over an H-pipe but at a higher rpm range. If you want some down low muscle car sound go with an H-pipe, if you want the top end zippy sound go with an X-pipe lol. Either way the car will be louder and run a little better and if your not into drag racing it then either one would do just fine. Best thing to do is hang out with some other Marauder owners who have modified their exhaust and listen to it inside and outside of the car and then make your own judgement. Me I perfer an H-pipe for some 40 series dual chamber Flowmasters for that throaty muscle sound. I Have to agree with what he says. I Had the X Pipe, but when I re-did my exhaust I changed it for the H Pipe. I Like the sound better.

Marauderjack
05-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Mustangs do sound good and unique with "X" and FloMasters but there will be DRONE inside the car......Nature of the beast and it is a SPORTS CAR and should be noisey inside and out!!:beer:

Our cars are sporty but more of a comfortable luxury sedan and should be relatively quiet inside and "Throaty" outside.....For this reason I ended up with "H" pipe and 18" Magnaflows....Noise out back and no drone!!:bows:

My "X" pipe was "ZIPPY" sounding and though it was better than the OEM exhaust.....my "H" pipe hits the sweet spot for me!!:D

To each his own......;)

Marauderjack:burnout:

Raudermaster
05-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Once I get my DR exhaust on I'll have to see if I approve of the X pipe (which I'm sure I will since I like that sound.) If I don't though, I'm really stuck on what other H pipe I should get?

cyclopsram
05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Da bums at Borla won't make a Panther system for anything newer than a 2002...

merc6
05-13-2007, 04:36 PM
X's sound best with the modular motors. Had one on my 04 Stang and it was killer.
I love the sound of 4v stangs with x pipe. I am seriously considering the swap when I get back if I don't try to arrage for it to happen while i'm still here. Wish we had a marauder exhaust site like the mustang guys have dedicated to just sound betwen stock and modded with difrent company kits. I still liked ctrlravens old "illegal" setup. never heard it from inside the car tho.

Raudermaster
05-13-2007, 06:50 PM
I LOVE the Borla XR1's. Too damn pricey though! I think they're a bit cheaper than the FRPP muffler's though.