PDA

View Full Version : Hey Metco Watts Link Guys...

Rider90
05-09-2007, 05:54 AM
I was doing some research on the watts link, and like most of you I was very well informed after reading one of the best threads on the topic:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22816

Thanks to those that participated in that :beer:

I was looking to hear from those that upgraded, without doing any other suspension upgrades at the time, what your thoughts were? Fordnut I have yours, thank you. I was looking for more feedback on this mod if anyone has done it without incorporating another suspension mod at the same time.

RoyLPita
05-09-2007, 06:17 AM
I have installed two sets to 2 other member's MMs and also fixed a 3rd's mistake of installing one backwards.

Todd
05-09-2007, 06:32 AM
I have installed two sets to 2 other member's MMs and also fixed a 3rd's mistake of installing one backwards.

But do you have any feedback on the upgrade itself without any other mods...??????

I am looking to eventually do this. I would like to hear what seat of the pants difference is felt without much else upgraded. Like Rider90 asked. Can you even tell a difference if this is the only thing you did (if you got to drive them after you upgraded them assuming they were someone elses cars)?

RoyLPita
05-09-2007, 06:37 AM
I do not know because I didn't drive the first 2 vehicles after the change was done. I only drove the 3rd one. Sorry.

fastblackmerc
05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I also installed the Metco Watts link but this was after installing the front & rear Addco's and Metco upper & lower control arms. I couldn't feel any difference at all.

Rider90
05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
I also installed the Metco Watts link but this was after installing the front & rear Addco's and Metco upper & lower control arms. I couldn't feel any difference at all.
That's what I have now (Metco CA & Addcos) and was wondering if a difference was even felt after that. I guess not...Anyone else?? Thank you :beer:

RCSignals
05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
From everything I've read, been told and what I can tell from that, the only difference felt is an emotional one.
there has never been any definitive answer to the Metco WATTS links actually making a difference in handling. They do look nice, but who can see them?
I've read about stock control Arm failures, but so far not a stock WATTS link.
Anti-sway bars and control Arms, Metco or M+Z are a different story on handling improvement.

MM2004
05-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I've got Addco bars and Z&M CA's.

Could not be happier with the handing performance gains.

:burnout:

Mike.

magindat
05-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Jason,
Picture how the watts link works. They are made from basically the same material as the CA's, but unlike the CA's are not subject to twistage. Their function is in a direct (or nearly direct) back-and-forth motion along their length. Since twisting is the enemy of the CA material and the Watts links are not subject to such forces, I really and truly can't see how the stock construction is any less stiff (in the direction of it's function) than anything else.
Given the slight curve of the links, it's possible there's a tiny bit of bowage in the direction of the curve, but I imagine that would only be under enormous load like say at high speed on a circuit track.
If I was an avid auto-crosser like say Jeremy (jdando), I'd put em on. For my occasional track time and daily driving I can't see an advantage.
To qualify, this is coming from 20 years worth of hydraulics, air suspension, and lowering. I've had to build entire suspensions from scratch and had to rebuild ones that were hacked up by the first guy. I think in terms of strength and safety FIRST. If you get strength and safety, performance is all tweaking. I only say this so you can see my thoughts are not merely speculative.
Best to you on your decision.

fastblackmerc
05-10-2007, 07:26 AM
If you stay with the stock Watts link for piece of mind you might want to stiffen it up by boxing the links together with another Watts link.

Eric91Z
05-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Couldn't tell you the difference, but I did the Metco control arms, Watts link, DS safety loop, and Addco sway bars (front and rear) all at the same time and the car is definitely much better for it. Feels more planted and the rear end doesn't "jump" over bumps like it did before. Definitely much more planted.

I have yet to really push it hard, but I have been faster where this stuff starts to shine and with no body roll or understeer. But I can see where the Naake setup would help with mid-corner handling and control. I can't wait to add that too.

I figure like anything, a suspension works best when designed to work together and I think this is a great setup with absolutely no loss in ride quality. If anything, it is actually better because it is more controlled.