PDA

View Full Version : Avic D3 install comments...

magindat
05-16-2007, 06:35 AM
This weekend I did my first Avic D3 for a fellow Marauderer. Follows are my comments and opinions:

The D3 is a non-motorized face unit with a slightly smaller screen and a front feed disc slot, unlike the D1 and D2 which are motorized face and hidden disc slots.

I usually do not use a 'kit' when installing the D1 or D2. I prefer to attach the Pioneer supplied ears. I then trim only the upper and lower 'lips' in the dash opening and let the ears rest against the side tabs. I then use a backstrap and this secures the unit in place with a tension rather than friction fit. It also allows the factory unit to be re-intalled since it relies on the side lips to clip in place. Also I do not like to use the trim ring on the motorized units as I feel it interferes with the function and causes stress to the mechanism.

The particular unit I installed did not come with a cage or side mounting 'ears'. This is unusual for Pioneer. In this case, I DID use the kit supplied by John. I trimmed all four lips in the opening leaving a tiny ridge on the sides. The unit slipped easily into place and the trim ring fit perfectly. I had to push the sides of the opening so those ridges I left 'locked in' to the ridges on the mounting kit's ears.

In addition, this install got a steering wheel interface, and a sub. It also included a Bluetooth interface. This got velcroed behind the AC control.

While this install looks absolutely awesome and almost totally factory, I am a bit disappointed with the inability to re-install the factory unit, should the owner decide to do that.

I took no pictures, I do hope the owner posts up, he IS a site member, but doesn't post much.

John, thanx for putting two more Marauderers together. We had a good time and it was a good install.

Dr Caleb
05-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Hmmmm. I had a friend give me a deal on a D3 this weekend. He's a pro installer, and the guy who wanted the unit reneged on the deal, so he sold it to me at his cost. Which I felt like I was robbing him of the unit. ;) Didn't say I felt bad about it, though.

So, I guess I'm going to need more than just what the unit comes with to install it? I've read your really excellent install writeups on the AVIC D2.

So I'll need a cage and wiring harness at least. Where did you get the steering remote interface? Where are the speed sensor and reverse wires that need to be tapped into?

I hate tapping into factory wiring harnesses. Gives me bad vibes for the future.

magindat
05-16-2007, 10:33 AM
John has everything you need.
Speed sensor is pin 14.
Steering wheel interface comes with instructions.
Reverse is black with pink stripe under driver's door sill.

The only actual tap is reverse. Everything else is in the harness you get from John.

GreekGod
05-17-2007, 06:02 AM
...I was pleasantly surprized with the size of John's car stereo department. I have been in a few such dealers showrooms, and John's is the biggest I've seen. He has a very experienced ("done it forever") installer, and a large selection of products.

3dogknight
05-18-2007, 06:46 AM
I wanted to wait a week or so before posting, just to be sure everything works as adverrtised - and IT DOES!

To start with, John is a excellent vendor and is focused on customer service. During my initial order of my D3, I learned that the Bluetooth unit I received would not work with the head unit. John immediately shipped out the proper unit before I even returned the original, then followed up to be sure I got it. Thanks for your commitment!

At John's recommendatiion, I contacted 'magindat' for the install. After just a few minutes on the phone, I got a good sense that he was knowledgeable about installs - specifically in regards to the Marauder. To be clear, this wasn't a pay n' play install. I was told that I would be doing a lot of work myself (and I did) but that I would have the opportunity to gain unique insight into how the Marauder was assembled.

The very first challenge we faced was the install of the MTX Thunderlink subwoofer. Since it did not line up exactly to the factory holes for the original sub, I was asked how I felt about drilling some holes. I felt that if I did not want the holes drilled, we would have found another way to get it done, but I was OK with it. After some imaginative and creative (hmm... magindat) design, a "hanger system" was manufactured for this sub using a variety of spare parts in the garage - including rubber bushings from a '68 Charger! When that was complete, the rest was downhill!

We continued throughout the day and finished up about 6 pm (about 8 hours start to finish, including lunch). I know some folks can do it faster, but this was not about speed. I drove two hours to learn and be a part of the process - not just stroke a check.

Once installed, we went through the checklist, turning every knob, selecting every setting, tweaking and tuning in every step. I was amazed at the sound quality and the fact that all the stuff I took off, went back in place without any annoying vibrations - even when cranked up!

I am totally stoked about this stereo and am very thankful for making a new friend and getting some hands-on training on my own car! If anyone is even half-way motivated to do some of their own work - I reccommend learnig from Rich. I'm sure I gave him a few laughs with my novice approach, but he was kind and calm with instruction. I hope I was a good student! I know I learned a lot! Thanks, Rich.

As far as the stereo goes - it is night and day difference compared to the cub scout-built crystal radio set that poorly disguised itself as an audio system. Go for the upgrade! You won't be disappointed!

GreekGod
05-18-2007, 06:59 AM
I highly recommend the back-up/rear view camera option.

magindat
05-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Hey Greg.
I had a nice time hanging out. I know I pushed your limits, but you done good. I hope you gained some confidence and learned some about your car.
I'm assuming by your post, you got the BB talking to the D3.
Glad you're enjoying it.
Rich

magindat
05-18-2007, 07:07 AM
I highly recommend the back-up/rear view camera option.

Of note, I did NOT do the recommended 'lock down' on this unit cuz I have a sneakin suspicion he'll be 'upgrading'!!!!! :rolleyes:

3dogknight
05-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Rich,

The Bluetooth does interface w/ my phone, but the phone call does not play sound through my speakers! Not sure if it was designed to do so - I can't find any info on it. So, because I already use a Bluetooth earpeice, this was an option I could have done without (unless the call 'should' play sound through the speakers and I just don't know how to configure it).

Does anyone know about this?

On deck is the back-up camera and in-the-hole is the multi disk player!

GreekGod
05-18-2007, 09:07 AM
The OEM 6 disc changer wouldn't work with my D2, so we are going to install Pioneer's 12 disc changer. It is a very reasonably priced up-grade to double storage capacity.

magindat
05-18-2007, 09:10 AM
The OEM 6 disc changer wouldn't work with my D2, so we are going to install Pioneer's 12 disc changer. It is a very reasonably priced up-grade to double storage capacity.

I managed to squeeze the 12 disc into the space the factory 6-disc went on DR's car. It took some doing, but it works.

magindat
05-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Rich,

The Bluetooth does interface w/ my phone, but the phone call does not play sound through my speakers! Not sure if it was designed to do so - I can't find any info on it. So, because I already use a Bluetooth earpeice, this was an option I could have done without (unless the call 'should' play sound through the speakers and I just don't know how to configure it).

PM on the way...

Pops
05-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I will find out more on the Bluetooth issue next week.

GreekGod
05-18-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/BlueManGrp.jpg

magindat
05-19-2007, 09:45 AM
I will find out more on the Bluetooth issue next week.

I know what it is. I PM'd him.

magindat
05-19-2007, 09:45 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/BlueManGrp.jpg

Why didn't I think of that!!!

:laugh:

magindat
05-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Rich,

It's fixed.