PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a new Lentech Tranny is going to be ordered

MarauderTJA
05-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Well today I was feeling rather "cocky" so I took my buddy's girlfriend (from England) on a ride in a real V8 muscle car. Dead stop, nailed it, took off and the car hooked really great with the new Nitto DR's. She (the girl) was screaming, being only use to little 4 cyl from the UK and absolutely loved it. Wanted to do it again:shake:. When it hit second gear it seemed OK and then I could feel the tranny slipping:(. Knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I planned on having it in prior to SSHS7. Now this is going to really bug me. I hate that. That is all I will be thinking about. Glad I am taking off for a five week road trip in my SVT Focus on Saturday. Will dull the pain.

I drive the car every day when I am home and it is fine. Drove it home normal and she shifts fine, but I think the high horsepower is taking its toll on the beefed 4R75W transmission. The only weak link left in the car. Actually I am surprised on how well this tranny has held up. Almost three years S/C'd, numerous runs down the track (32k) with the stock motor and around 6 runs with the built engine including my personal best run. So I guess I really cannot complain. Time for the Lentech Street Terminator Plus:bows:.......takes three -four weeks to get one built....now for $400. extra tranny brake or not:confused: Should I raise the stall to 3500 from 3000:dunno:

sailsmen
05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Yes, raise the stall. Zack told me he saved a sig amount of time by raising it.

MarauderTJA
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes, raise the stall. Zack told me he saved a sig amount of time by raising it.

I will probably be raising it to 3500. PI gives one free upgrade on the Stallion. Plus it will be better with the trans brake which I probably will add as well:rolleyes:. Great thing about this tranny, put it drive and go. Whether on the street where she is 99% of the time or the track 2%. Two friends of mine have Lentech's and swear by them.....

HwyCruiser
05-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Bummer. Did you give her grief for making you break your car?

Will the Lentech be standalone or does can the PCM control it? Just wondering how the shifts and tc lockup is controlled.

tmac1337
05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Tom, did you do the quick stop, arm across the chest trick?:P

snowbird
05-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Tom,

Sorry to hear about the tranny. In a way, that box was on borrowed time with that engine in front but it is still deceiving when it does happen.

The Lentech should do it !

TooManyFords
05-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Tom, before you order, see if they will give us a deal if we order two at the same time... I will need one by the end of June as well.

John

TooManyFords
05-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Will the Lentech be standalone or does can the PCM control it? Just wondering how the shifts and tc lockup is controlled.
The PCM controls it still.

Oh, and Tom, ask how much extra for the transbrake option.

;)

John

Zack
05-22-2007, 10:47 PM
I think a Lentech is way overpriced and the owner has no idea what paramaters to change in the PCM to mate to his transmission.

There is no point in spending thousands on a transmission for what you can do in your own garage for a couple of hundred.
You want to spend some coin, take your stock clutch packs in for machining to handle another clutch.

Who did your first transmission?
And one more thing, I always hear transmission builders say return your line pressures to stock when you build your trans... I feel this is suicide.
My trans pressures are jacked through the roof and it feels as good as the day I beefed it up. I admit Ive had a few problems with OD bands, but not with clutches.

JMan
05-23-2007, 04:08 AM

When are you coming over to clean my monitor! That is funny!

J

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 05:09 AM
Bummer. Did you give her grief for making you break your car?

Naw, she was too excited (and a doll) to do that. The car drives normal and even under boost without a problem. Just when I really hammer it from a dead stop is when I notice the slippage in second gear.

The Lentech works off the PCM just like the normal and works of the PCM. Put it in drive and go.

TooManyFords
05-23-2007, 05:09 AM
I went back to the web site and now I'm not so sure Zack isn't right. I have to make a call to see whether or not the PCM really does control it or if it is supposed to use a TV cable like his AOD's listed. If it is the latter then I will keep looking.

I really don't want a full manual body either.

Maybe a full rebuild with new shafts, clutches and such is the way to go.

John

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 05:10 AM
Tom, before you order, see if they will give us a deal if we order two at the same time... I will need one by the end of June as well.

John

Don't think they willl make any deals John. But I will ask.

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 05:27 AM
I think a Lentech is way overpriced and the owner has no idea what paramaters to change in the PCM to mate to his transmission.

There is no point in spending thousands on a transmission for what you can do in your own garage for a couple of hundred.
You want to spend some coin, take your stock clutch packs in for machining to handle another clutch.

Who did your first transmission?
And one more thing, I always hear transmission builders say return your line pressures to stock when you build your trans... I feel this is suicide.
My trans pressures are jacked through the roof and it feels as good as the day I beefed it up. I admit Ive had a few problems with OD bands, but not with clutches.

From what I understand from Scott Beer, the PCM still controls all shift parameters. But I will look further into this. A friend of mine (Lou) here where I live (who isn't on the board) will have one in his 03 D1SC Procharger built motor Marauder within two weeks as he totally blew his tranny. My race shop, J&J Performance is one of the best high performance shops in Florida. They know their stuff. Will see how it turns out.

My transmission 4R75W is stock other than a shift kit, B&M fan cooler, deep pan and PI Stallion. The Lentech comes with a shift kit. Here is the link:

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/plusetrans.html

Zack, have you heard anything about www.gearstar.net (http://www.gearstar.net) I got a quote from
get this, ZACK Farah (thought there was only ONE ZACK). He quoted me: "a rebuild of my transmission to level 4 specs, 300 mm steel shafts & carriers, power paks, hardened Kollen steels, new bushings, sealing, rings, gaskets, 3 shift kit with it staying automatic, with the capability of engaging any gear and hold it. $2895. with a 24 month warranty."

BAD MERC
05-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Tom, do a manual and some wheelie bars. Everybody knows you want to...

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 05:30 AM
I went back to the web site and now I'm not so sure Zack isn't right. I have to make a call to see whether or not the PCM really does control it or if it is supposed to use a TV cable like his AOD's listed. If it is the latter then I will keep looking.

I really don't want a full manual body either.

Maybe a full rebuild with new shafts, clutches and such is the way to go.

John

I am somewhat confused on the PCM issue. This is not what I heard with the AOD-E trannys. Time for some research.

Trans brake is $400. and I don't want manual shifting either. My son-in-law has an FB Tranmission with 3 speed manual shift and electronic OD with a trans brake. He loves it, but I want to retain my automatic.

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 05:32 AM

Really wanted too she had really nice t***. But I remained a Marauder gentleman;)

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 05:39 AM

No manual, trans brake yeah,,,,wheelie bars:hmmm:

Hey I bought a new car cover, you want my old one? Still in good shape.

RoyLPita
05-23-2007, 05:56 AM
NAVCHAP has one in his MM now. It just needs to be retuned on the PCM side.

BTW, Are you shipping your core up to them?

Zack
05-23-2007, 05:57 AM
The pcm WILL control the Lentech.

Lets hope Fordnut will chime in.

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 06:22 AM
NAVCHAP has one in his MM now. It just needs to be retuned on the PCM side.

BTW, Are you shipping your core up to them?

Thanks Brian that is what I thought. And no, I am not shipping the core to them. Makes no sense. $400. to ship for a $200 core charge. I'll get it repaired and add an Art Caar build kit and sell the tranny down the road.

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 06:24 AM
The pcm WILL control the Lentech.

Lets hope Fordnut will chime in.

Thanks Zack. That is what I thought. Your right, Brian (Fordnut) has one in his car.

SC Cheesehead
05-23-2007, 06:48 AM

Hey, THAT's what I wanna see, launching a MM with the front end about 2 feet in the air!:banana:

SCCH

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey, THAT's what I wanna see, launching a MM with the front end about 2 feet in the air!:banana:

SCCH

Me too! But it won't happen with my car. Maybe Marty's, Jerry's or John's (TMF):D.

RoyLPita
05-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks Brian that is what I thought. And no, I am not shipping the core to them. Makes no sense. $400. to ship for a $200 core charge. I'll get it repaired and add an Art Caar build kit and sell the tranny down the road.

Keith decided to not to send it either. I have it to sell the forced rear lube and converter from and rebuild the rest to sell later.

juno
05-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Tom,

Before you make your decision please call Darrin at bc-automotive.com 317-514-0816.

Tell him I sent you and you are another Marauder guy , but with insane power. :)

He will ask you every detail about your car and build you a custom to your car unit, not a 'generic' custom unit.

Talk to him about the PI converter also. Mine fried and is not going back in the car, their custom triple disc unit will.

He is very customer orientated and you will be impressed with the detail he goes into.

I got all my parts from him. I was hoping for a quick turn around on a local build, but that will not be the case. I should have just shipped him mine right from the start.

His prices are very competitive and he is great to deal with.

While you are at it, discuss tranny and tuning issues also.

Good luck!

MarauderTJA
05-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Tom,

Before you make your decision please call Darrin at bc-automotive.com 317-514-0816.

Tell him I sent you and you are another Marauder guy , but with insane power. :)

He will ask you every detail about your car and build you a custom to your car unit, not a 'generic' custom unit.

Talk to him about the PI converter also. Mine fried and is not going back in the car, their custom triple disc unit will.

He is very customer orientated and you will be impressed with the detail he goes into.

I got all my parts from him. I was hoping for a quick turn around on a local build, but that will not be the case. I should have just shipped him mine right from the start.

His prices are very competitive and he is great to deal with.

While you are at it, discuss tranny and tuning issues also.

Good luck!

Thanks Jay, will do...

FordNut
05-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I have a LenTech Street Terminator. It is PCM controlled. Be sure and send your old tranny in for rebuild. Steve Schingler didn't and he got the wrong tailhousing and shaft on the one they sent him.

TooManyFords
05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I have a LenTech Street Terminator. It is PCM controlled. Be sure and send your old tranny in for rebuild. Steve Schingler didn't and he got the wrong tailhousing and shaft on the one they sent him.

Would ou check with them to see if the line pressure is "fixed" in the valve body or does the PCM control it. I ask because the info on their web site infers that they use a "fixed" pressure all the time...

Thanks!

John

magindat
05-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Would ou check with them to see if the line pressure is "fixed" in the valve body or does the PCM control it. I ask because the info on their web site infers that they use a "fixed" pressure all the time...

Thanks!

John

John,
I seem to remember (from watching a 4R70W rebuild) that the trans expert told me the line pressure is not EXTERNALLY adjustable at all, but can only be adjusted with the pan off at a black solenoidish looking device (he pointed to).
Just my recollection, FWIW.
Is that 'thing' he pointed to replaceable to MAKE it externally adjustable? Cuz it sure would be cool if I could set her to 'comfort' mode or 'git some' mode!
Watchin and learnin....
Rich

I think it was this thingy:
http://www.becontrols.com/products/productimages/aodboost.jpg
"Line pressure boost controller?"

TooManyFords
05-23-2007, 01:02 PM
If it cannot be adjusted, then what am I tweaking in ProRacer to firm up the shifts??

John

juno
05-23-2007, 02:04 PM
I believe we are adjusting the line pressure with the tuners by adusting how the solenoids contol the pressue regulator.

On another note John, how do you like the Proracer software? I am looking into getting more familiar with my tunes!

FordNut
05-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks!

John

The valve body can be ordered either fixed pressure or adjustable. I believe the adjustable pressure configuration is only adjustable within a certain range instead of being fully adjustable like the OEM. They recommended that I NOT get the fixed pressure valve body since I put a lot of street miles on it.

TooManyFords
05-23-2007, 06:22 PM
The valve body can be ordered either fixed pressure or adjustable. I believe the adjustable pressure configuration is only adjustable within a certain range instead of being fully adjustable like the OEM. They recommended that I NOT get the fixed pressure valve body since I put a lot of street miles on it.

Gee, I think that answers all the questions I have.

Thanks Brian.

John

Dennis Reinhart
05-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Well today I was feeling rather "cocky" so I took my buddy's girlfriend (from England) on a ride in a real V8 muscle car. Dead stop, nailed it, took off and the car hooked really great with the new Nitto DR's. She (the girl) was screaming, being only use to little 4 cyl from the UK and absolutely loved it. Wanted to do it again:shake:. When it hit second gear it seemed OK and then I could feel the tranny slipping:(. Knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I planned on having it in prior to SSHS7. Now this is going to really bug me. I hate that. That is all I will be thinking about. Glad I am taking off for a five week road trip in my SVT Focus on Saturday. Will dull the pain.

I drive the car every day when I am home and it is fine. Drove it home normal and she shifts fine, but I think the high horsepower is taking its toll on the beefed 4R75W transmission. The only weak link left in the car. Actually I am surprised on how well this tranny has held up. Almost three years S/C'd, numerous runs down the track (32k) with the stock motor and around 6 runs with the built engine including my personal best run. So I guess I really cannot complain. Time for the Lentech Street Terminator Plus:bows:.......takes three -four weeks to get one built....now for $400. extra tranny brake or not:confused: Should I raise the stall to 3500 from 3000:dunno:

Send the converter back have it upgraded to a 3500 tripple disk and I would shop around before going with Lentech, call me when you get a chance.

BAD MERC
05-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Yes!! But I owe you one. My baby will be stored in the garage for a few weeks while I adjust to having ANOTHER car payment. By the way, Grundy is going to insure my Marauder at a $40,000 loss value ($12,000 audio system too) for $520.00 a year. No mileage limitations. I have my 2006 Taurus back so I now have an everyday car. Yaaaahoooo!!!! I am selling my Mitsubishi Diamante and Mercury Sable now.
No manual, trans brake yeah,,,,wheelie bars:hmmm:

Hey I bought a new car cover, you want my old one? Still in good shape.

MarauderTJA
05-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Send the converter back have it upgraded to a 3500 tripple disk and I would shop around before going with Lentech, call me when you get a chance.

Will do Dennis.

MarauderTJA
05-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Yes!! But I owe you one. My baby will be stored in the garage for a few weeks while I adjust to having ANOTHER car payment. By the way, Grundy is going to insure my Marauder at a $40,000 loss value ($12,000 audio system too) for $520.00 a year. No mileage limitations. I have my 2006 Taurus back so I now have an everyday car. Yaaaahoooo!!!! I am selling my Mitsubishi Diamante and Mercury Sable now.

I'll give you a call tomorrow. I need to call Grundy as well. Need some serious insruance on my baby. Send me the number if you would. Thanks.

Shora
05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Grundy is going to insure my Marauder at a $40,000 loss value ($12,000 audio system too) for $520.00 a year. No mileage limitations.

Where are you paying such insurance prices? I am paying $1,920 a year and that is with a $1000 deductible here in Miami, FL (home of stolen cars and uninsured drivers).

RCSignals
05-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Gundy is the best for specialty/collector car insurance

RoyLPita
05-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Keith decided to not to send it either. I have it to sell the forced rear lube and converter from and rebuild the rest to sell later.

I sold the forced rear lube setup and the converter.

TooManyFords
05-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Just FYI, I've decided to go the "Legal Kneivel" route and have Team Ford rebuild mine to these specs. I should save a few $$ in the process.

Carry on...

John

Blackmobile
07-04-2007, 07:54 AM
I was curious what the price range was for a Lentech. I lost 1st gear torque in my OEM and have gone to a local shop who are trying to fit me into a high $$ unit, with all the goodies and I do mean ALL except the trans brake. I'd like a little bit more information to help chop his price down.

Ed

Blackmobile
07-04-2007, 08:00 AM
I was curious what the price range was for a Lentech. I lost 1st gear torque in my OEM and have gone to a local shop who are trying to fit me into a high $$ unit, with all the goodies and I do mean ALL except the trans brake. I'd like a little bit more information to help chop his price down.

Ed

I just went to their website and it answered my question, Thanks guys, and now I see that choosing a blower isn't the only hard choice to make.

MarauderTJA
07-04-2007, 10:13 AM
There is another choice and less money and just as strong from
www.BC-Automotive.net (http://www.BC-Automotive.net). Talk to Darrin and tell him I sent you. I am going with him on my new built tranny.

John Nero
07-04-2007, 10:27 AM
www.BC-Automotive.net (http://www.BC-Automotive.net). Talk to Darrin and tell him I sent you. I am going with him on my new built tranny.

bc-automotive.com

MarauderTJA
07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Your right. Sorry.

Blackmobile
07-04-2007, 04:54 PM

I'd like to but the shop I'm dealing with already has the trans out, so it appears I'm already in bed with this shop so I have to make things as comfortable as possible:alone:.

In the back of my mind I do believe they will deliver on their promises. so check them out www.atfspeed.com (http://www.atfspeed.com), and I'll fill you in on my results

MarauderTJA
07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
I'd like to but the shop I'm dealing with already has the trans out, so it appears I'm already in bed with this shop so I have to make things as comfortable as possible:alone:.

In the back of my mind I do believe they will deliver on their promises. so check them out www.atfspeed.com (http://www.atfspeed.com), and I'll fill you in on my results

I hear ya Ed. As long as get what you need taken care of, it'a all good.:beer:

MarauderTJA
07-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Well after conducting considerable research on getting a new custom built transmission I have decided and ordered a BC Automotive built tranmission (and torque convertor) from Darrin in Indianapolis. Made a lot of calls and inquiries on his work. Everyone, yes everyone who has dealt with his company has had nothing but outstanding comments on his work as well as standing by his built transmissions.

It is being custom built for my normal day to day driving as well as application to be able to handle 1000 crank horsepower which will allow me to run my C-16, 750 RWHP tune with a 100 shot of nitrous. Working on getting the car ready for SSHS7 this November to put her in the 10's. I will keep everyone posted on progress once in the car.

magindat
07-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Well after conducting considerable research on getting a new custom built transmission I have decided and ordered a BC Automotive built tranmission (and torque convertor) from Darrin in Indianapolis. Made a lot of calls and inquiries on his work. Everyone, yes everyone who has dealt with his company has had nothing but outstanding comments on his work as well as standing by his built transmissions.

It is being custom built for my normal day to day driving as well as application to be able to handle 1000 crank horsepower which will allow me to run my C-16, 750 RWHP tune with a 100 shot of nitrous. Working on getting the car ready for SSHS7 this November to put her in the 10's. I will keep everyone posted on progress once in the car.

All I have to say is...

:eek: 'HOLY *****'!!!!!!:bows:

sailsmen
07-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Are you going w/ a roll bar?

W/ 1,000 CHP why do you need a transmission?:confused:

F4 Phantoms do not have a transmission!

MarauderTJA
07-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Are you going w/ a roll bar?

W/ 1,000 CHP why do you need a transmission?:confused:

F4 Phantoms do not have a transmission!

The roll bar is still in question:sweat:. I did find a company here in Florida who does custom roll bars that blend in with the interior and are really nice looking.

BTW, the car does not have a 1000 CHP even with the C-16 race tune:shake:, but the tranny is capable of handling that amount.

magindat
07-19-2007, 12:38 PM
my C-16, 750 RWHP tune with a 100 shot of nitrous.... to put her in the 10's....

BTW, the car does not have a 1000 CHP even with the C-16 race tune:shake:, but the tranny is capable of handling that amount.

So what?! 750-850 BHP is still fargin RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Whatchu gonna do about the rear-end?

sailsmen
07-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Doesn't 750RWHP + 100 shot = 1,000 Crank HP?

MarauderTJA
07-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Doesn't 750RWHP + 100 shot = 1,000 Crank HP?

The 750 RWHP includes the 100 shot.

MarauderTJA
07-20-2007, 05:55 AM
So what?! 750-850 BHP is still fargin RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Whatchu gonna do about the rear-end?

Already have it built with a Detroit Truetrac and 31 spline axles.

merc
07-20-2007, 07:15 AM
I hope you bring this car to SSHS7. Looks like the big three will attend.

MarauderTJA
07-20-2007, 08:49 AM
I hope you bring this car to SSHS7. Looks like the big three will attend.

Already registered. Working on getting everything ready. My goal is to keep the car looking like it came off the showroom floor. Can't compete with JB and Marty, nor will I try.