PDA

View Full Version : Expert / Professional Car Wash

xopher
05-23-2007, 03:43 AM
Hello all. After about a year of thinking about a MM, my financial stars aligned, and I am starting my second full week as a very proud owner. She's bone stock with little wear, and I plan on keeping her that way for at least a few months before thinking about mods/tunes/gears/chargers/etc. That said...

With pollen season in full swing, and all the wonders of summer to try to make her grimy, I think it would be good to exchange tips and tricks about keeping a MM looking roadworthy. I assume many set aside a few hours each week and do the whole job, including a wax, by hand. I wanted to find out (especially you chemists hiding out there) what the best options are overall, including professional hand washes, touchless automatics and cloth automatics.

I want to find out which methods might risk damaging the MM paint or chrome, and what protectants/waxes will make both maintain their lustful luster the longest. If nothing else, please post your preferred method of cleaning, including any product brands or specific car washes you trust to do a good job. Any input will be greatly appreciated by this noob!! :)

For lack of a better choice, I have been getting quick rinses from a BP touchless (Hwy TT & 18, Waukesha, WI) and a Kwik Trip touchless (Grandview Blvd, Waukesha, WI).

MM2004
05-23-2007, 04:00 AM
Welcome!

Take advantage of the search function as there are many threads about this subject.

Everyone has their own methods, products and am sure someone will chime in.

Mike.

Bluerauder
05-23-2007, 04:16 AM
I think it would be good to exchange tips and tricks about keeping a MM looking roadworthy. I assume many set aside a few hours each week and do the whole job, including a wax, by hand.
The Bluerauder gets a bath at least weekly. I like to keep her clean and shiney as much as possible. Most of the time, I do a hand wash in the driveway followed by a coat of Meguiar's NXT and then some Turtle Wax ICE polish. I also try to get it professional detailed each year around my birthday (as long as my son keeps the birthday coupons coming :D). I have used an automatic car wash occasionally where they know me and my obsession with the car. They do a really good job vacuuming the inside, windows and a cloth towel wipe down. I also wipe down the engine compartment about every 2 weeks or so and clean it up a bit with ICE polish. The trick is to keep it clean so that the job is not that big.

People that ride in my MM think it is new because it is always clean inside and out. :) When I tell them that it is 4 years old, they can't believe it.

blackf0rk
05-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Professionally detailed by yours truly :)

Eric91Z
05-23-2007, 09:46 AM
My personal preference is Zaino products. From their car wash soap to polishes to detail spray. I highly recommend hand washing if you have the resources (which I don't right now). Power washing at a do-it-yourself place would be my next choice, but doesn't allow for a complete clean that hand washing does and will work on stripping off the polish/wax you use. And if you use a touchless place I would not recommend the "clear coat protectant" and other things they offer.

Since you are in Wisconsin, I might suggest a trip to Illinois and have Jason do a complete detail on the car. He does excellent work and is a sponsor on here and is an all around great guy.

http://www.jasonsautospa.com/

MERCMAN
05-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I hand wax the Black Beauty, but use a touchless car wash. Heres why:

http://environment.about.com/od/greenlivingdesign/a/car_wash.htm

I am not a "tree hugger" but this makes good sense to me :up:

Grifter
05-23-2007, 11:28 AM
i chose hand wash. i prefer to do it that way when i can. Summer is the only time I can do it though. Winter I do run it through the auto wash as often as possible. Touchless only. Even in the summer, if teh car is dirty I may run it through an auto wash if I am on the road..
I wont go to a professional car wash though. I dont want anyone touching my car with that 'chamois' they use right after i watch them pick it up off the ground.. I just dont like anyone touching my car period..

Rider90
05-23-2007, 12:33 PM
My personal preference is Zaino products. From their car wash soap to polishes to detail spray. I highly recommend hand washing if you have the resources (which I don't right now). Power washing at a do-it-yourself place would be my next choice, but doesn't allow for a complete clean that hand washing does and will work on stripping off the polish/wax you use. And if you use a touchless place I would not recommend the "clear coat protectant" and other things they offer.

Since you are in Wisconsin, I might suggest a trip to Illinois and have Jason do a complete detail on the car. He does excellent work and is a sponsor on here and is an all around great guy.

http://www.jasonsautospa.com/
Thanks for the compliments Eric, but I actually pulled my sponsorship a couple weeks ago.

Black Mac
05-24-2007, 04:38 AM
hand washing and touchless automatic atleast weekly. Five star shine treatment instead of regular waxes. its a five year application its been on my mm for 2 1/2 years still beads water like I just put it on. You can get it off eaby for $50.00 Check out the website five star shine for details. With that being said you can wash you mm and dry with chamois in no time and get that fresh waxed look every time with out all the work. People say that I must spend a lot of time keep her the way I do. Actually less than an hour to wash and dry.

Good luck

1of327
05-25-2007, 07:17 AM
I clean mine every night at 8pm at the dealership, with all Maguire stuff, clay bar twice a month and wax at least twice a week......not to mention the interior that I wipe down every other day and vacuum daily.

KillJoy
05-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Zaino.

Wash weekly when driven.

Wax often.

Keep in garage all the time it is home.

A cover is in the near future.

:up:

And...CONGRATS on the purchase!

KillJoy

MM2004
05-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Zaino.

Wash weekly when driven.

Wax often.

Keep in garage all the time it is home.

A cover is in the near future.

And...CONGRATS on the purchase!

KillJoy

You should be quite good at deatailing by hand. You haven't been allowed at any car washes since last year.

:burnout:

Mike.

KillJoy
05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
You should be quite good at deatailing by hand. You haven't been allowed at any car washes since last year.

:burnout:

Mike.

Actually.... a friend washes my car. Not sure why though??? He enjoys cleaning / detailing cars, so I let him. He won't even let me give him any money for it!!!! So...we usually take him out to dinner and buy :D

Good Friends = Good Stuff!!

KillJoy