PDA

View Full Version : Sending in Wheels for Refinishing - Least Expensive Way to Ship???

KillJoy
05-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Well, I am sending my wheels out, once again, to be refinished. This time, to Wes.

I just got the tires dismounted from the Wheels, and removed the Center Caps. The Wheels are now ready to ship.

What is the least expensive method, and carrier, to ship wheels?????

KillJoy

duhtroll
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
You'll have to shop around. The company I used claimed FedEx Ground was cheaper, and to send them in one large package, but I found UPS to be cheaper (cost of box not included) when sending them separately.

Weigh them in the shipping boxes, or add a pound for each box. Then go to the different websites and do the calculation thing using zip codes. We don't have a DHL so I only had UPS, USPS and FedEx to choose from.

I think I spent something like $50-55 each way, for each pair (did them separately to spread out costs over the winter when I wasn't driving on them anyway).

Oh yeah, INSURANCE.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Might I ask why you are sending them out again? Did you have them redone before?

FordNut
05-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Fedex ground has been the cheapest way I've found. Best place to get boxes is at a tire/wheel store, get some used boxes that they ordered new wheels in.

KillJoy
05-28-2007, 12:01 PM
EDIT: Might I ask why you are sending them out again? Did you have them redone before?

Yup. A local tire shop nicked all 4 wheens doing an alignment. The repair shop did a crappy job, IMO. The same tire shop has nicked 3 of the wheels again. So, they are paying again...but only for 3. I am paying for the 4th, and shipping.

KillJoy

FordNut
05-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Yup. A local tire shop nicked all 4 wheens doing an alignment. The repair shop did a crappy job, IMO. The same tire shop has nicked 3 of the wheels again. So, they are paying again...but only for 3. I am paying for the 4th, and shipping.

KillJoy

Thinking about a different tire shop?

Where did you have the repairs done before?

Glenn
05-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Rates for a LTL carrier are normally very reasonable. I would put them into a wheel box and then strap them to a pallet and then stretchwrap the whole package. You will not have any damage with the wheels on a pallet.

Glenn

BAD MERC
05-28-2007, 02:42 PM
When I had Carfixer do mine at Scanlon Lincoln/ Mercury - he had special scopes that don't crush down on the finish. They sit against the lip and attach to the spokes with straps. Way cool and not a single blemish. Of course, Claude IS the man!

KillJoy

jim geary
05-28-2007, 04:10 PM
I'ed call Wes and ask him about the shipping. He's done an awful lot of shipping in his day. He should know.

KillJoy
05-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Thinking about a different tire shop?

Where did you have the repairs done before?

Yes, different shop. This time Wes is getting them taken care of. :up:

The previous place was a wheel shop here in Columbus, Ohio.

KillJoy

CRUZTAKER
05-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Not to steal away from my friend Wes...

But Stevo, my wheel refinisher is right here in town. ;)

A guy in Medina does powder coating, and another in Macedonia does refinishing.

KillJoy
05-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Not to steal away from my friend Wes...

But Stevo, my wheel refinisher is right here in town. ;)

A guy in Medina does powder coating, and another in Macedonia does refinishing.

Price?

Do they Gaurantee OEM QUALITY? Will they hold up my me being a PITA stickler for high quality???

You got my #.....

KillJoy

CRUZTAKER
05-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Of course dude....:burnout:

Zack
05-28-2007, 06:08 PM
I have Reinhart's UPS account #.

KillJoy
05-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Of course dude....:burnout:

Price??

KillJoy

KillJoy
05-28-2007, 06:16 PM
I have Reinhart's UPS account #.

HAHA!!!!

KillJoy

DEFYANT
05-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Just pop the tires off, put the rims back on and drive them there yourself.

Really.

KillJoy
05-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Just pop the tires off, put the rims back on and drive them there yourself.

Really.

DOH!!!!!

KillJoy

martyo
05-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Fedex ground has been the cheapest way I've found. Best place to get boxes is at a tire/wheel store, get some used boxes that they ordered new wheels in.

FedEx Ground is the official shipping company for Legal Knevil!!

wchain
05-29-2007, 07:53 AM
I use fedex ground too.

KillJoy
05-29-2007, 08:04 AM
I will be heading to FedEx after work today to get these suckers shipped out.

How much should I expect to pay per wheel?

Should I box them myself, or let them do it?

How much should I insure them for?

KillJoy

martyo
05-29-2007, 08:25 AM
I will be heading to FedEx after work today to get these suckers shipped out.

How much should I expect to pay per wheel?

Should I box them myself, or let them do it?

How much should I insure them for?

KillJoy

Box them yourself and insure for $200-$300 per wheel.

I am not sure what the shipping charges will be.

CRUZTAKER
05-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Better update Stevo...;)

These are being done loooocoooo-ly.:P