PDA

View Full Version : New Mods Procharger #1

tmac1337
06-01-2007, 01:54 PM
I've been play'n around with the car. Some of you Procharger and Vortech owners may be interested in a couple of these things.

First is the kit that was assembled by Scott Beer for the PCV lines which now dump into a Moroso aluminum canister with a small filter on top. I had two inline reversed PCV valves which would close under boost, at least theoretically until they gummed up into an open position only after a couple thousand miles. So that system was out for me, and I know a few of you guys are using it also. Hope your luck is better than mine.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa81/tmac1337/IMG_9671.jpg

Second, my belt was slipping with a 360 blower pulley and I did not want to spend the cash to transition to an eight rib setup, sooooo this cool little extra tensioner was machined up by Scott and Pals and bolted on to existing bolt locations on the front of the engine. The tensioner is adjustable and takes all the slack out of the belt line. This baby does work and is high quality. It will work on any Procharger car, and I would think the Vortech air to airs as well. PM me and I'll give you the information on how to acquire one of them as I believe the fabricator has a mock up and can make more.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa81/tmac1337/IMG_9673.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa81/tmac1337/IMG_9674.jpg

Thats all for now. I won't share all my tricks with you guys....just most of em;)

PROCHARGER ROCKS! ALL THE DYNO'S SAY SO!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa81/tmac1337/IMG_9676.jpg

greggash
06-01-2007, 02:24 PM
The PCV system now drains into a vented canister....that takes care of a few leaks.
although it is no longer Positive Crank caser Ventilation (no vacuum), it is ventilation for the gasses within the engine.

I modified mine also.

I like the pulley too!

Cobra25
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Both look great Tim.

CRUZTAKER
06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Were more than one pully thingies made?

HwyCruiser
06-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Looks good Tim!

What size belt are you running with that extra pulley? Hey, is that a cheater water pump I see there? :P

tmac1337
06-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Were more than one pully thingies made?

Mine is the first, at least for a Marauder that I know of. From what I was told, more will be made if wanted. I do not want to violate vendor rules, so PM me if you want more info.

tmac1337
06-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Looks good Tim!

What size belt are you running with that extra pulley? Hey, is that a cheater water pump I see there? :P

The extra pulley does not require that you run a longer belt, it only applies pressure inwards and takes up all the slack in the belt line to prevent slippage. I currently have the 360 pulley, stock size idle tensioner, running a Gatorback 4061073.

A cheater water pump? Never.....

snowbird
06-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Look great to me and a nice alternative for the one who don't want to change for early front cover or go to 8 ribs.

The postman is on the way !!

Cobra25
06-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I saw the mods in person tonite before we all went out too dinner. It was professionality done and looks Great.

Zack
06-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Fordnut was the first to mock up an extra pulley in this location.

However, I really want 2 of them!

Mike M
06-01-2007, 09:14 PM
How did you know the belt was slipping?
What was the symtoms of the clogged/stuck pcv?

MarauderTJA
06-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Looks great Tim:up:. Glad to see that you could stay with the 3.60 pulley. I'll call you on the tensioner. I like it and want to get one to keep around as a spare.

TooManyFords
06-02-2007, 05:01 AM
The extra pulley does not require that you run a longer belt, it only applies pressure inwards and takes up all the slack in the belt line to prevent slippage. I currently have the 360 pulley, stock size idle tensioner, running a Gatorback.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't a slightly shorter belt be the same thing? It looks like it only goes between the power steering and alternator pulleys so where is the benefit? You're still dealing with the original tensioner in the stock (MM or Cobra) location, correct? If so, how does this make the tensioner any stronger?

:confused:

John

maraudernkc
06-02-2007, 07:53 AM
John, You can't fit a smaller belt than the one we have on there now. You have to put this one on the power steering pulley and bump the motor.

Tim, what kind of HP and TQ numbers did she make?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't a slightly shorter belt be the same thing? It looks like it only goes between the power steering and alternator pulleys so where is the benefit? You're still dealing with the original tensioner in the stock (MM or Cobra) location, correct? If so, how does this make the tensioner any stronger?

John

tmac1337
06-02-2007, 09:03 AM
How did you know the belt was slipping?
What was the symtoms of the clogged/stuck pcv?

I had a loss of boost on the dyno, and it was apparent the belt was slipping from all the black dust. The PCV system was also looked at to see if boost was being lost there. At least one reversed valve was gummed open instead of closing under boost, so it was time for a change. I'll see how the canister works out.

tmac1337
06-02-2007, 09:10 AM

John

John, that blower must have been taken off and put back on 15 times while different size belts, and blower pullies were tried out to get it real tight and prevent slipping. The stock belt tensioner had the stops cut out some in order to attempt to get the belt tighter.......no good.......when the movement went to far the belt would rub on the tensioner assembly. So another tensioner was put on and we tried a larger tensioner pulley so it would not rub on the assembly. That stock sized pulley was later put back on when it still rubbed and we used the extra larger pulley on the new fabricated tensioner. The fabricated one has multiple mount locations for the pulley. The end result is the belt line is tight as possible.

tmac1337
06-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Tim, what kind of HP and TQ numbers did she make? Greg, the car has always fluctuated around the mid to upper 400's. I don't get too carried away by the dyno numbers anymore since every dyno will give you a different number, and depending on current dyno conditions like temperature ect.., spark will be added or decreased in Scott Beer's tunes. All I care about is that my car runs great.......and it does at that:beer:

tmac1337
06-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Any of you guys have an opinion reference the PCV catch can setup with a filter vent? It not being vacuum anymore?

Thanks.

RCSignals
06-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Any of you guys have an opinion reference the PCV catch can setup with a filter vent? It not being vacuum anymore?

Thanks.

Just not being vacuum it isn't really 'PCV' anymore.

It's venting to atmosphere?

HwyCruiser
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks.

Tim, we're you running the Cobra EV-153 PCV valve? I just checked mine, and after over a year of service the check valve still moves freely. There's a bit of an oil film inside which is to be expected, but it wasn't "gummed up" at all. At $5 I'm going to start replacing it yearly anyway but I've been very happy with it's performance.

From what I understand, the PCV system allows a stream of fresh, metered air to flow through the engine heads and block and sucks out fumes into the combustion cycle increasing engine life. You definitely want to at least vent it so excessive pressure doesn't blow oil past your cam cover gaskets, but you aren't getting the benefit of circulating fresh air through the engine. Plus it'll probably make your engine stink a bit of oil.

Let me ask you this, did changing the PCV system get your boost back?

tmac1337
06-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Let me ask you this, did changing the PCV system get your boost back?

I am making 11 psi with the 360 pulley, which is to be expected. The 370 was making 9 psi. So it would appear that either the belt slip was responsible for the boost backing off or a little was lost in the PCV system:confused:

In any regards, the car is running great, I just wanted to know if there was any big negatives to having the PCV system setup the way I do currently with it venting into the atmosphere?

HwyCruiser
06-02-2007, 12:43 PM
In any regards, the car is running great, I just wanted to know if there was any big negatives to having the PCV system setup the way I do currently with it venting into the atmosphere?

Alright then, I refer the gentleman to my previous comments.

tmac1337
06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
I just spoke with Beer and asked him some more questions about the PCV system and the catch can setup. He likes this thing and stated it's a very popular mod for the cobra and lightning folks. The PCV system cycles dirty vapor air back into the combustion cycle where it is vented. He does not like the possibility of vapor into the motor on boosted cars with overspin and has seen a lot of the PCV systems fail and harm boosted cars. There can be an odor from the vented gases if they are sucked up into the cabin compartment from the engine compartment.

Oh well, I run it for awhile and see what I think.

Thanks for any input and opinions you guys have had. I have seen a lot of mods done to these cars over the last few years, some good, some bad, live and learn. I'll see how these things work for me.

KillJoy
06-02-2007, 04:03 PM
How much? I want one.

KillJoy

Marauderjack
06-03-2007, 03:55 AM
The PCV system is simply a mechanism to "sweep" light contaminants (blowby & moisture) from the oil and extend engine life in street vehicles!! The military found out years ago they could double the oil change interval and still double engine life with the PCV system!!:beer:

Now....IF your system works OK with a pressurized intake (shuts check valve) it makes sense to keep it as is but if you are pressurizing your crank case you are MUCH better of just venting the CC to the atmosphere (if you vent to the blower intake you will eventually gunk up the impeller)!!:shake: You should also shorten oil change intervals to be safe!!:beer:

My "Cobra PCV" (EV-111 or EV-153) is still very clean and apparently functions well.....I currently have about 60K miles on my blower setup!!:bows:

I prefer the PCV and 5K mile oil changes myself!!;)

Marauderjack:burnout:

tmac1337
06-06-2007, 05:20 PM
For all you guys interested in the fabricated belt tensioner to snug up your belt line....some should be available w/in a couple of weeks, or so I have been told.