PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Clay Bar by Turtle Wax

tomd
06-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Has anyone tried this yet? If so how did it turn out? Is it easy to work with?

Liquid Clay Bar by Turtle Wax

fastblackmerc
06-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Just bought a bottle yesterday, will try it this week.

Bluerauder
06-09-2007, 05:23 AM

Someone else asked the same question about a month ago. Waiting on reports of its use. I have used ICE polish for about a year and like it quite a bit. Looks like I'll have to try out the ICE Clay Bar soon.

>>>>>> http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34850&highlight=liquid+clay

P.S. Nice avatar. :up:

superiorone
06-09-2007, 07:44 AM
I bought it about a month ago and it worked great, I havd some swirl marks and surface scratches, also some hard water stains........EVERYTHING IS GONE. I would highly recommend it, plus I would really only trust someone experienced with the actual clay bar! But like I said it works great, just be sure to wax your beast after you are done. :banana:

fastblackmerc
06-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Anyone can claybar, just follow the directions. Main thing is to keep the area your working on lubed.

superiorone
06-09-2007, 07:51 AM
I guess it just looks intimadating to me, I am sooo cautious with my car I would kill someone if I mucked it up trying something new. I thought the liquid clay bar worked great, it took off all old wax and all contaminates, but I don't know how it compares to the real clay bar.

tomd
06-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Sounds like maybe I should run :run: :burnout: out and get some. :thinker::hmmm:

martyo
06-09-2007, 08:34 AM
\Main thing is to keep the area your working on lubed.

This is good dating advice too! :D

Steve_NC
06-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I love the ICE wax, and I have seen the Clay Bar stuff at the FLAPS. Let us know how this new stuff works out.

Ken
06-09-2007, 06:26 PM
This is good dating advice too! :DThanks, Marty!:D

Ken

Drock96Marquis
06-09-2007, 06:56 PM
'liquid' clay bar? I take it that it's pretty much a paint cleaner, which is why it removed a few light swirls as well.

martyo
06-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks, Marty!:D

Ken

No problem Ken. Tune in next week, when we discuss why keeping it waxed is good for relationships!

RCSignals
06-09-2007, 08:17 PM
No problem Ken. Tune in next week, when we discuss why keeping it waxed is good for relationships!

Will this symposium have pictures and charts?

Rider90
06-09-2007, 11:32 PM
'liquid' clay bar? I take it that it's pretty much a paint cleaner, which is why it removed a few light swirls as well.
ding ding ding :banana2:

A clay bar is just that, a clay bar. Any substitute takes away the exact purpose of the clay, and is only titled a "Liquid Clay Bar" for marketing purposes. Just my two cents.

superford3
06-10-2007, 06:07 AM
i will only use an actual clay bar ,i dont think the liquid would work as well but i have not tried it

STLR FN
06-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I have both the regular clay bar and liquid. Haven't given the liquid a shot yet.

Bluerauder
06-13-2007, 09:18 AM

I tried to pick up the Liquid Clay Bar at the local Auto Zone store. There was a "hole" on the shelf where the product should be. Must be a popular item. Was listed at around $14.79 (I think).

Ended up getting the Meguiar's Clay Bar package for about $16. I like the Meguiar's and it was really quick (2 hours for the entire car). Finish is smooth and glassy now. Can't imagine the liquid stuff being any easier or better. In fact, the box says that it is better than the liquids ... so it's gotta be true. ;)

Tom Kuznicki
06-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Hello everyone, I, just yesterday tried the turtle wax liquid clay bar on our black Marauder and after finishing the job, I was very disappointed with the results. I normally use the ( real ) clay bar and get superior results but this stuff appears to have left more spider web type scratches after doing the job exactly as the directions stated. So for my .02 cents, I would only recommend using the actual clay bar, I know, it takes alot longer, but, it sure looks good when the job is done.

tomd
06-26-2007, 03:36 AM
Liquid clay bar did work great and it is easy to use, hardest thing was shaking the heck out of the bottle all the time! I don't like using a clay bar because it would always fly out of my hand and onto the ground! Didn't have that problem with the liquid clay. I also used the liquid clay bar and ICE polish on a garage kept 2003 sliver car, it work great, ICE is easy to work with, easy on, easy off! I'll try ICE on my black Marauder in the next day or so to see how well it works with black paint, BUT I will be taking the ICE off with a buffer.

I hope to try out the liquid clay bar on my son’s 2003 truck that sits outside to see if it will make it look real real nice. :D I’ll let you know if and when that happens.

xopher
07-06-2007, 04:33 PM
A clay bar is just that, a clay bar. Any substitute takes away the exact purpose of the clay, and is only titled a "Liquid Clay Bar" for marketing purposes. Just my two cents.
Right on the money. A few weekends ago, I dropped a bill on make-up for the Marauder--all the fixins. After reading here, and taking a gamble, I decided on Turtle Wax Liquid Clay Bar, then Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax, then Turtle Wax Liquid Ice (along with a California Feather Duster--er--Car Duster and Water Blade, etc...). Rinsed, then apprehensively did the trunk with the 'Liquid Clay Bar' (As Rider90 has pointed out, a true clay bar is a tool to remove contaminants. This is important later.). The 'Liquid Clay Bar' instructions essentially say to wash with the stuff and then towel dry. I was in a hurry that day and didn't want to towel dry. I reached in my trunk for my California Water Blade. I slowly pulled the silicone Blade across the trunk, from front to back, leaving this:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/7/1/1/9/Photo_062307_002.jpg

Sorry for the ridiculous high res, but I needed to show that this is actually the opposite of a clay bar. If a clay bar is designed to remove impurities, and this is leaving stuff on my car, it's bordering on false advertising.
I was pissed, but I finished the job and put on the NXT Tech and the Liquid Ice and she looked fine, but I knew--and know now--that there is an itty bitty coat of some white crap in between my clear coar and NXT Tech. The giveaway to this happening should have been the fact that the 'Liquid Clay Bar' actually separates and settles in the bottle.
In the end, I wasn't pissed, as this was the fruit of my labor:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/7/1/1/9/bling.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/7/1/1/9/Photo_062307_009.jpg

but 'Liquid Clay Bar' is pretty close to false advertising. I'm gonna need to drive down to Rider90 in the near future and get this done right.

MyTMerc
07-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Since Jason is not close by, I bought some of the liquid clay bar to try it out after hearing good reports. I haven't tried it on my black MM but I can tell you it did a great job removing the handy work of local knuckle head that vandalized one of my daughter's white Scion XC with black permanent marker. Needless to say, she was heartbroken. It took me a while but it removed all of it! Order is restored and all is well.

RCSignals
07-06-2007, 05:56 PM
This liquid clay bar seems to be similar to another turtle wax product from years ago, called color back. It was basically a very fine cut polish with a few other 'conditioners' added.

tomd
07-07-2007, 03:27 AM
I agree with Xopher regarding the white cloudy film left behind from the liquid clay bar. He said, "The 'Liquid Clay Bar' instructions essentially say to wash with the stuff and then towel dry." What it says is rise with cool water then towel dry, which won’t work. You will need to wash the car again to remove that cloudy film, but that only takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes.

I did use the ICE polish on my black Marauder and it did work great! But I wouldn’t use ICE polish on a black car unless you have a orbital buffer with a micro or 100% cotton pad, the buffer makes it a lot easier! It sure did turn out real shinny! Should you end up using too much of the ICE, have a spray bottle near by with cool water in it and lightly spray the area and rebuff.

You’ll only need to buy one bottle of ICE cuz it will last forever, I used very little to do two cars. You could pass it around neighborhood and the bottle will still come back half full! :lol: