PDA

View Full Version : Black gunk on tips

RF Overlord
06-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Our new Silver Birch has this hard black coating on the underside of the tips and on the lower part of the rolled edge. This stuff looks like residue from exhaust condensation that got baked on. I've tried the following to remove it: Brakleen, gasoline, brake fluid, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, isopropyl alcohol, acetone, and Goo-Gone. The only thing that has any effect at all is Bon-Ami on a wet sponge, but even that is taking forever.

Any other suggestions?

Bradley G
06-09-2007, 03:38 PM
thanks for the "tips" , LOL
I wish I had something to offer!

RCSignals
06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
have you tried a mixture of vinegar and water? ;)

RCSignals
06-09-2007, 04:31 PM
if that doesn't work try an orange cleaner or full strength Simple Green

Hotrauder
06-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Our new Silver Birch has this hard black coating on the underside of the tips and on the lower part of the rolled edge. This stuff looks like residue from exhaust condensation that got baked on. I've tried the following to remove it: Brakleen, gasoline, brake fluid, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, isopropyl alcohol, acetone, and Goo-Gone. The only thing that has any effect at all is Bon-Ami on a wet sponge, but even that is taking forever.

Any other suggestions?

Bob, is it from the drag strip??? feel rubbery??? at least on the rolled edge of the fender??? Dennis

jgc61sr2002
06-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Mary and Bob - Congrats on new ride.:D

Try metal polish such as semi-chrome.

larryo340
06-09-2007, 05:07 PM
some stainless polish with four OOOO steel wool won't scratch tips

Drock96Marquis
06-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Are you sure it isn't undercoating spray?

MM03MOK
06-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Bob, is it from the drag strip??? feel rubbery??? at least on the rolled edge of the fender??? Dennis
No - "This stuff looks like residue from exhaust condensation that got baked on."

Are you sure it isn't undercoating spray?No undercoating on the car.

finster101
06-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Try Throttle body or carb spray and let it sit just a little. It is made to dissolve carbon, whitch sounds like what this is.

Mike
06-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Any other suggestions?

How about gas??

ckadiddle
06-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Find a fellow member that has replaced his original stock tips with beffle-free tips and take him out to dinner.

Marauderjack
06-10-2007, 03:38 AM
"FLITZ"......You can buy it at boating supply stores....It is a blue paste that comes in a tube.....cleans and polishes ANYTHING!!!:bows::beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

JMan
06-10-2007, 03:46 AM
If it's baked-on carbon, try using ammonia. Nothing loosens or removes carbon better than good old household NH4! Let it soak for 5 minutes first.

Best luck,

J (aka Heloise)

MM03MOK
06-10-2007, 05:38 AM
I've tried the following to remove it: Brakleen, gasoline, brake fluid, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, isopropyl alcohol, acetone, and Goo-Gone. Any other suggestions?

How about gas??You're funny! :rolleyes:

:D

rayjay
06-10-2007, 06:29 AM
I have this problem with my 04 DTR. It builds up during the winter months. I use Simple Green on a 0000 steel wool followed by a metal polish. Flitz works well.

CRUZTAKER
06-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Now available in your auto department.;)

RF Overlord
06-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I use Simple Green on a 0000 steel wool followed by a metal polish.We have a winner! It still took a huge amount of elbow grease, but it finally all came off. Many thanks to all who replied.

SilverSport
06-10-2007, 05:09 PM
In the future, a simple Brillo pad (or SOS) with lots of water will shine the hell out of stainless pipes. Found this trick out a long time ago when I was into 5.0 Mustangs. Will not scratch the pipes as long as you keep the pad wet. They come up as good as new with very little effort.

Rider90
06-10-2007, 06:44 PM
In the future, a simple Brillo pad (or SOS) with lots of water will shine the hell out of stainless pipes. Found this trick out a long time ago when I was into 5.0 Mustangs. Will not scratch the pipes as long as you keep the pad wet. They come up as good as new with very little effort.
Ditto!

This is one of my tricks in the bag for stainless & chrome. Really does work.

MENINBLK
06-10-2007, 07:08 PM
You could have just used Eagle One Nevr Dull.
It takes all the black stuff off my tips very easily.

RCSignals
06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
We have a winner! It still took a huge amount of elbow grease, but it finally all came off. Many thanks to all who replied.

Yeah, didn't I say Simple Green? :P

larryo340
06-10-2007, 09:03 PM
OOOO steel wheel has pratically no chance of scratching polished exhaust tip making it almost foolproof.

Mike
06-10-2007, 10:13 PM
You're funny! :rolleyes:

:D

I didn't notice you ALREADY tried gas :( glad you got it off though :D

wchain
06-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Meg's official recommendation is Wenol, but I'm glad to hear you got the stuff off! I could have supplied you with some Bubb Rubb Tips....

Daily 03
06-11-2007, 09:23 AM

Any other suggestions?

RF,
You will have to use Gasoline only and quit using Diesel Fuel. It is either save the Dollar or Elbow Grease.
Dale

SID210SA
06-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Even though you already got it off....When I used to detail cars, we used isopropyl alcohol and steel wool.....very easy to work and shines them up like new.

superiorone
06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Our new Silver Birch has this hard black coating on the underside of the tips and on the lower part of the rolled edge. This stuff looks like residue from exhaust condensation that got baked on.

Sounds like tar to me................ Have you been driving down any newly paved streets