PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Pan Replacement

MENINBLK
06-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Hi Guys,

Before I start, I want to say that this is NOT an endorsement for a product or a vendor.
I came across this on a google search and it looks very interesting.
I am only presenting it for information and opinions.

I have been contemplating replacing the stock tranny pan for a deeper pan that holds more oil.
I have seen the FRPP pan, the B&M pan, the U-Haul pan and they aren't exactly what I was looking for.

I came across this Mag-Hytec pan.
http://mag-hytec.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_in fo&products_id=12&zenid=5d422e9230cf657c5ead86af d9fee409
It requires no gasket because it uses and o-ring to seal agains the bottom of the tranny.
It also requires the use of this Ford 4X4 Filter - F6AZ7A098AA.

I know everyone has been asking about what filter to use with a deep pan.
I think this is the one to use.

What do you guys think about this pan ?
This is the description of the pan from MonsterMarketplace.com...
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Automotive/Landing3134a9.html

"Every Mag-Hytec transmission pan comes fully assembled with everything you need to install it yourself.
Mag-Hytec's heavy duty differential covers and transmission pans provide increased
lubricant and cooling capacity for hard working recreational and service vehicles.
Mag-Hytec covers and pans set your vehicle apart in both aesthetics and function
- cast in A356-T6 aluminum and texture powder coated black with machined cooling fins.
Magnetic drain plugs trap worn gear material promoting fluid integrity.
Each unit is fitted with ARP 568 O-rings for superior sealing.
All hardware is 303 stainless steel, in most applications no gasket or sealant is required,
and all Mag-Hytec parts are covered by a lifetime limited warranty."

magindat
06-11-2007, 08:19 AM
That thing looks the same as an Art Carr pan, just painted black. Save your self 75 bucks and go with what we know.
http://reinhartautomotive.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=12345&Product_Code=MM-ACDTK&Category_Code=9

I honestly don't see 75 bucks more value.

KillJoy
06-11-2007, 08:21 AM
For the price... why not get the Art Carr, or Ford???

KillJoy

fastblackmerc
06-11-2007, 08:47 AM
That thing looks the same as an Art Carr pan, just painted black. Save your self 75 bucks and go with what we know.
http://reinhartautomotive.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=12345&Product_Code=MM-ACDTK&Category_Code=9

I honestly don't see 75 bucks more value.

+1... why spend more money for the "textured powder coating" which might affect the cooling properties?

ts-pa
11-20-2007, 10:23 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I'd like to report that I have used a B&M 40287 (newer number is 40291) since 2004 without any problems. It uses the stock filter & came with a longer pickup tube. I also reused the original gasket without any problems.

It has a drain plug & adds 3 quarts to the capacity over the oem pan. It is pretty thick aluminum, about 3/16" as I recall.

One thing I didn't like about it was that it came with black oxide socket head cap screws, which are now showing signs of rust. No worries, I will get Stainless Steel versions for future use from McMaster-Carr. The stock bolt is M8 X 1.25 X 15mm long. I will replace with 18-8 SS M8 X 1.25 X 20 McMaster-Carr #91292A147 and add McMaster-Carr #90895A030 SS serrated lock washers. The extra length on the bolt is due to pan thickness increase.

A word of caution, the pan will be lower than the frame rails. Be very careful of speed bumps!

cyclopsram
11-21-2007, 03:39 AM
me be liking the Ford/Uhaul pan with drain plug, available from your local fomoco dealer

ts-pa
11-21-2007, 04:34 AM
me be liking the Ford/Uhaul pan with drain plug, available from your local fomoco dealer

Does that add capacity, or just a drain plug?

jimlam56
11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Does that add capacity, or just a drain plug?

No extra capacity, but it does have the drain plug. I'm not convinced extra capacity is a benefit anyway.

RF Overlord
11-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I agree w/ cyclops and jimlam.

Although having extra capacity is never a negative, I think it's only a benefit if you autocross, tow things regularly, make lots of trips down the 1320, or generally drive like a maniac. Having the Ford/U-Haul pan with drain plug makes doing a drain-and-fill so easy and so much less messy, it becomes a no-brainer to do one at every other oil change. This keeps the fluid fresh for most types of normal driving.

Local Boy
11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
I assume the Pan you are speaking of is the E-350 pan?

ALOHA

ts-pa
11-21-2007, 10:51 AM
....or generally drive like a maniac.

I know that my mother-in-law would say that this would be me. ;)

I tow a small boat, 1600lbs for once a year vacation, about 8 hrs. drive. I would rather have the capacity for peace of mind. Cheap insurance!

magindat
11-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Drive like a maniac or have a higher stall converter...

Get more capacity and get fins for cooling along with the ability to do regular changes.

RF Overlord
11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
or have a higher stall converter...Good catch, Rich. I should have included that.

I assume the Pan you are speaking of is the E-350 pan?Ford built this pan to order specifically for the E-350s they delivered to U-Haul. I don't think it came on regular production E-350s.

Local Boy
11-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification, my friend...

ALOHA

rauder775
11-21-2007, 07:20 PM
I put the "Uhaul" pan on mine last year when I did the Flush. Have not had to drain yet, but just makes sense. They should have done this from the Factory.

jdando
11-21-2007, 09:25 PM
I...or generally drive like a maniac...

I guess that is me:cool:

My FRP pan is treating me right.

jeremy

Local Boy
11-21-2007, 11:51 PM
I agree...rauder775...Got one too!

ALOHA

GrazniM
11-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Although this thread is dated I want to point out the Mag-Hytec pan is similar to the TCI premium 1.5qt pan. One major issue - the rail reinforcments to the rear of the pan need to be cut away because the MM chassis crossmember (directly behind the pan) is so close it prohibits installation. I have the TCI, with o-ring seal, etc., and it is great. Another point, you will have to change to the matching Ford tranny filter without pickup tube - i believe FT-100 instead of the MM's FT-105; this is a very low profile pan with internal cooling ribs (as well as external) so they interfere with the FT-105 pickup that would ordinarily be sitting in the OEM well....