PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Chris
10-03-2002, 07:33 PM
hi. been readin this forum for a while. just got my marauder a week ago. i'm kinda havin a crisis. i'm a complete car idiot. i don't deserve to have this thing but i saw it and knew i couldn't go without it. so anyway, i washed it but there were waterspots all over the place. i'm only 18 so i've never really taken care of a car or worried about how it looked. so i asked my friend, who knows tons about cars, what i should do to get the waterspots off, and he said to get the softest towel i can find and dry it right after i wash it. so thats what i did. then a day later i noticed it had all these tiny little scratches all over the place when you looked at it at the right angle in the right light. so you all can imagine, i just started freaking out. so i just need whatever advice i can get. am i just completely screwed over here? is there anything i can do? please help

cutt
10-03-2002, 07:46 PM
to avoid this from happening again dry your car with a good chamois.to remove the scratches just give it a good wax job. i use maguires on mine.

Chris
10-03-2002, 08:22 PM
so wax is all i need and it'll be good as new?

JT03
10-03-2002, 09:04 PM
You will drive yourself crazy examining black paint in certain kind of lighting situations and in direct sunlight. Black cars show everything. This is the way I wash my car - First, go to Pep Boys and buy yourself a California Water Blade and The Absorber. Maybe a new bucket and a cotton shampoo pad. Wash your car when the paint is cool and out of direct sunlight. You can use Dawn dishwashing liquid ONLY if you intend on waxing later, as this will strip the wax and make your car squeaky clean. If you don't intend on waxing, use any reputable car wash. I prefer Zaino. After washing and rinsing, use the water blade to quickly remove excess water. Follow up with The Absorber (follow directions on Absorber). Then take your WHITE 100% Cotton Made in the USA towel (buy a good one), fold to make a pad size and gently wipe down the car using a spray gloss enhancer detailer. (I use Zaino or Slick Stuff by The Wax Shop). The Slick Stuff spreads easier after the car has been waxed. After a few times of doing this, you will develop your own little tricks and techniques. Before you know it, you'll be a pro! :D Hope this helps!

Logan
10-04-2002, 05:18 AM
I'm a big fan of the water blade too... Works great. :)

Now, about those scratches. If you're worried about them, take the car to a car detailer or paint shop and have them buff and wax the car for you. They can buff the scratches out and polish/wax it... Depending on the shop and what you have done, it can range from $40 to $200.

Once that's done, just follow the other suggestions. There are numerous threads on this site regarding washing your car and the various premium wax systems available...

cyclone03
10-04-2002, 03:57 PM
With your NEW towel tear the tags off of them!The tags will also scratch.

Logan
10-04-2002, 06:40 PM
I actually cut all the edges off the entire towel...

piglet
10-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Chris,

Listen to Logan and JT03. They helped to guide me through the Zaino car detailing gig. It is a pain in the arm but well worth it. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=307

Any questions just ask everyone here is very nice and willing to help via the key board.

Grand_Marquis
10-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Also, for your wheels...either get a wheel brush or one of those wheel cleaner sprays you get in auto stores...they do wonders. ;)

tetsu
10-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Grand_Marquis
Also, for your wheels...either get a wheel brush or one of those wheel cleaner sprays you get in auto stores...they do wonders. ;)

the MM wheels are clearcoated. I wax mine just like the rest of
it with Mequiar's Gold Class Liquid.

After they are cleaned and waxed up, they clean off in a jiffy with just car soal and mitt.

I claybarred the nose on mine and got off 5 pieces of rusting metal out of the paint. Dang if claybarring isnt a royal pain the the rear! Contrary to popular opinion, those claybars dont do so well at bugs however.

Johnny