PDA

View Full Version : Racer killed at Capitol

2ndMDRebel
06-19-2007, 06:39 AM
I heard a racer was killed in an accident saturday night at Capitol and read in the paper that it was true. The story I got was that his rear suspension failed and put him into the jersey-wall where the car then flipped over, the article in the paper didn't have any particulars on what caused the accident, just that he was 40 and had been racing there a few years.

Has anyone heard more about this?

merc
06-19-2007, 07:05 AM
That was 2 Saturdays again, June 9th to be exact. I thought the guy was riding a motorcycle.

As most already know Capitol Raceway had a terrible accident this past Saturday. We are all very saddened by the death of
Mr. Tim Powell.
The arrangements are as follows: Thursday June 14, from 2 to 4 PM and 6 to 8 PM at the Trinity Baptist Church
located at 2671 Mattawoman Beantown Rd., Waldorf, Md. 20601
Friday June 15, at 11 AM the service will be held at the
Trinity Memorial Gardens located at
3221 Mattawoman Beantown Rd. in Waldorf.
Trinity Baptist Church 301-645-7889
Trinity Memorial Gardens 301-932-8900
Mr. Powell's family has requested that I ask if anyone has video could they please contact our office at
410-793-0661

Driver named in raceway death

CROFTON - County police have identified the driver killed in a crash during a race at Capitol Raceway in Crofton Saturday night.

Timothy James Powell, age and address unavailable, lost control of his vehicle and careened into a Jersey wall at the quarter-mile drag strip at 6:44 p.m., police said. The car flipped over after hitting the wall.

Rescuers performed CPR on Mr. Powell at the scene, and he was taken to Baltimore Washington Medical Center in Glen Burnie, where he was pronounced dead.

Raceway officials said the driver had raced there for a few years, but declined any further comment this morning.

This was the second accident in two months at Capitol Raceway. Last month, a 16-year-old girl was injured when she wrecked a dragster on the track. The raceway is off Route 3 just north of Conway Road.

- From staff reports

Breadfan
06-19-2007, 07:06 AM
I saw it on MIR's website last week - unless there was a second accident it happened on June 9, 2007 at Capitol. I cannot find the info on MIR's site anymore otherwise I would have posted it - it had info regarding what happened.

merc
06-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I guess it was not a motorcycle or Rice.

A Waldorf man was killed while drag racing at the Capitol Raceway in Crofton on Saturday, despite efforts by witnesses to save his life, police said.
Timothy James Powell, 40, was killed during a drag race after he lost control of his vehicle, according to a police report.

Officers with the Anne Arundel County Police department responded to Capitol Raceway and discovered Powell had been racing at 6:44 p.m. when he lost control of his vehicle and struck a jersey wall on the opposite side of the track.

The vehicle overturned as a result of the collision with the wall. Witnesses on the scene removed Powell from the vehicle, and CPR was performed, police said.

Emergency medical personnel arrived on the scene and assumed the life-saving efforts, according to the report. Powell was transported to Baltimore Washington Medical Center in Glen Burnie, where he was pronounced dead as a result of his injuries, police said.

Powell had a passion for racing his 1963 Corvette, according to his brother, Dana Powell. He was a member of the National Hot Rod Association and the International Hot Rod Association.

Raceway owner Kimberly Cunningham said Powell was a ‘‘nice person” and she enjoyed having him race at the track.

A post on the raceway’s Web site said, ‘‘As most already know Capitol Raceway had a terrible accident this past Saturday. We are all very saddened by the death of Mr. Tim Powell.”

‘‘It just wasn’t his time,” Dana Powell said. ‘‘One thing I can say, though, is that he died doing something he loved. If he wasn’t doing anything else he was at the racetrack.”

Tim Powell had been racing since the 1980s and had raced all over the country, Dana Powell said.

‘‘He always had a smile on his face,” he said. ‘‘He was just a good person.”

Police ruled his death an accident, and racing resumed at the venue Sunday.

A funeral will be held at 11 a.m. June 15 at Trinity Memorial Gardens in Waldorf.

E-mail Michael Kantor at mkantor@somdnews.com.