PDA

View Full Version : MV V Update #7 Marauderville Communications

Bluerauder
06-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Just a recommendation and a consideration for communications in and around all of the Marauderville V events. In years past, attendees have found that a set of FRS/GMRS* portable two-way radios come in very handy. They are quite useful during convoys to give folks a "heads-up" on a turn or exit ahead. Also a good idea for "tail end Charlie" to pick up stragglers or folks that may have lost the main body of the convoy in traffic. Those with FRS/GMRS can relay the info on to the lead vehicle. Some owners prefer CB radio for this. Others run both systems.

Such radios are also useful at "ground" based events and can be used to avoid a lot of walking around. FRS/GRMS channel 5 has been frequently used at past events as the event channel.

* FRS/GMRS stands for Family Radio System/'Ground Mobile Radio System. FRS only is good to about 1-2 mile range. Dual capable FRS/GMRS are good to about 5-10 miles depending on conditions.

I picked up a set of Motorola "Talkabout" radios Model T6500R a couple years ago and they work just fine. They are not expensive at all.

Just something to consider. You can pick 'em up at Best Buy, Target, the military PX and many other electronic or big box stores.

pantheroc
06-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Check garage sales also for the radios! Just picked one up labelled for $1, lady gave it to me free. It uses "AA" batteries. Be sure it is not a custom battery only model. It was cheap because she couldn't find the other one and though it was useless without it.

MyTMerc
06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Charlie, we spoke about using channel 5 for the convoy's correct?

My radio is operator challenged due to a short between the headsets. (Probably why I didn't see the bold print the first time I read this post)

rayjay
07-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I think I have a set of these. I'll have to locate them and get them charged up.

1stMerc
07-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Pretty much all two way radios can work with other brands correct?

Since Motorola seems to be the going brand i bought a set, but don't like the fact that you can't leave them on the charger longer than 16 hrs.

Before i take these back, what is anyone else who has radios using?

Also does anyone have a license for GMRS?

fastblackmerc
07-17-2007, 05:31 PM
No license needed.

pantheroc
07-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Pretty much all two way radios can work with other brands correct?

Since Motorola seems to be the going brand i bought a set, but don't like the fact that you can't leave them on the charger longer than 16 hrs.

Before i take these back, what is anyone else who has radios using?

Get ones with longest distance and with Ni-Mh batteries (don't get with Ni-Cd, battery memory issues).

Test the units before you leave the store. I bought a $30 set and the battery terminals were not maintaining good contact with batteries.

1stMerc
07-17-2007, 09:17 PM
The ones i bought do have a tentative 18 mile range and the NiMH batteries also can use regular AA batteries. So i'm good in that respect. Just not crazy about not being able to leave the radios in the charger when not in use. Got em at Walmart so couldn't test them in store.

Thanks for the advice.

Bluerauder
07-18-2007, 12:22 AM

No license required as long as you are operating on FRS channels. According to my booklet ... "The FCC requires all operators using GMRS frequencies obtain a radio license before operating their equipment."

My set offers 22 channels: Channels 1-7 FRS/GMRS combined, Channels 8-14 FRS only, and Channels 15-22 GMRS only.

I went ahead and got the FCC license prior to MV III so I could use any and all channels as necessary. However, the booklet really isn't clear about the dual FRS/GMRS channels in the 1-7 band. In the past we have traditionally used Channel 5.

1stMerc
07-18-2007, 05:06 AM
No license required as long as you are operating on FRS channels. According to my booklet ... "The FCC requires all operators using GMRS frequencies obtain a radio license before operating their equipment."

My set offers 22 channels: Channels 1-7 FRS/GMRS combined, Channels 8-14 FRS only, and Channels 15-22 GMRS only.

I went ahead and got the FCC license prior to MV III so I could use any and all channels as necessary. However, the booklet really isn't clear about the dual FRS/GMRS channels in the 1-7 band. In the past we have traditionally used Channel 5.

That's the part i was refering to. The Cobra instruction book of one set i had bought and (took back) said in the 1-7 dual mode you had to make sure the radio was on "low power" for FRS mode, and had the appropriate button for same. That's the hassle part. Who is going to be checking for that.
Most of the web sites i had visited says you have to have a license for GMRS mode. Not that the FCC will come after anyone ???. I suggest we move to channel 8 for communications, to be on the safe side.

Thoughts??

fastblackmerc
07-18-2007, 05:09 AM
The FCC will only investigate if there is misuse / abuse.

Bluerauder
07-18-2007, 07:42 AM
That's the part i was refering to. The Cobra instruction book of one set i had bought and (took back) said in the 1-7 dual mode you had to make sure the radio was on "low power" for FRS mode, and had the appropriate button for same. That's the hassle part. Who is going to be checking for that.
Most of the web sites i had visited says you have to have a license for GMRS mode. Not that the FCC will come after anyone ???. I suggest we move to channel 8 for communications, to be on the safe side.

Thoughts??
I have NO experience with anything other than Channel 5. I assume that folks with prior expereince picked "5" for a reason. Not too much idle chatter or interference with it. I'll let guys who know radios chime in.

BTW -- we were using Ch 5 on our little visit up to Camp David and no one ever came beating on my door afterwards. As stated above, I really think it is a question of abuse of the airwaves. So go to "low power" whenever you feel the need to drop the F-Bomb. :jk:

rayjay
07-21-2007, 08:36 AM
I think I have a set of these. I'll have to locate them and get them charged up.

Wife tossed the charging cord, but they work on AAA batteries so I'm good to go.

Redster
07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
I have a couple that my wife and I use. Got them at Wal-Mart for $14. We used them on one cruise down here without a problem. Only problem that I have is when you are in a loud environment, like a car race, they are useless. You get drowned out by ambient noise. Recommend.