PDA

View Full Version : Popping noise from rear of car

Fourth Horseman
10-04-2002, 08:29 AM
For the past couple of weeks, whenever I go diagonally through a gutter I hear a popping type noise from the rear of the car. Going straight through a gutter does not produce the sound, it's only when the car gets torqued going through with load on the corners.

Could it be sway bar bushings? Any other guesses?

Wags
10-04-2002, 09:31 AM
Fourth Horseman,

I get the exact same thing when backing out of the drive, on an angle. I only get it in the right rear. I was going to get that checked out next time I go to the dealer.

Wags

MarauderMike
10-04-2002, 02:44 PM
Ditto on noise from the right rear, haven't had time to get it back into the dealer yet.

cyclone03
10-04-2002, 05:22 PM
My guess is the watts link bushings.

mungce
10-06-2002, 09:41 AM
same here, when I drive slowly through a deep dip, I hear a pop from one of either side ! I had first thought the tires were rubbing, but thats not it. Anybody got an answer ?

Smokie
10-27-2002, 03:02 PM
I also have that noise coming from rear when going over a bump at slow speed, at first I thought it was some of the junk my wife keeps in trunk organizer, but I no longer believe thats the case. has anyone taken their car to the dealer about this issue ?

Logan
10-27-2002, 08:30 PM
...add me to the list too... It hasn't annoyed me enough for me to get under there and check it out yet...

Jim
10-28-2002, 05:25 AM
Mine does it as well; I've had the dealer check it twice now...

No joy.

Oh, well. I'm thinking it is just some bushing(s) in the rear suspension getting torqued a little differently, then releasing with a *pop*. I'm ignoring it when I hear it (rarely) and reminding the dealer about it whenever I take the car in for something else.

Like today, when I'm taking it in for the 3rd time to have them fix the really annoying rattles from the 2 drivers side doors...

-Jim

Wags
10-28-2002, 05:29 AM
Mine is going in this Friday for many things, and the popping is on it. I'm also having problems with them about the warranty and mods. Has anyones dealer been a pain about mods and the warranty?

Wags

Larry Vogel
10-28-2002, 01:26 PM
Try a shot of WD40 under their on all the rubber bushings or do each one, one at a time to see which one is tight.

Smokie
10-28-2002, 05:00 PM
Larry's suggestion of spraying the rubber bushings sound good will try tomorrow, the only thing is I'm going to use pure silicone spray. WD-40 is a solvent not a lubricant. It can deteriorate plastic and rubber. :)

Fourth Horseman
10-30-2002, 09:58 PM
Curiously, my popping noise seems to have vanished. I wonder if it's a result of the colder weather. *shrug*