PDA

View Full Version : EBC Brake Pads

crouse
07-03-2007, 10:43 AM
I purchased the EBC brake system from Dennis Reinhart and installed them about one month ago. Since day one they've make a slight scraping sound when I apply the brakes. No, I don't have the pads on backwards.

I know these pads have a wear in layer, but with 1200 miles and very little highway driving, you'd think I'd be past that by now. At first there was a lot of brake dust, but now there is very little, so I'm thinking I'm past the wear in layer.

The performance of these pads sucks. Worse than the factory pads. I have to use more pedal pressure to stop than before.

Should I keep these on or use these pads for target practice and get something different. Any suggestions? If I get new pads, should I have the rotors turned to get a good surface or just install new pads?

Thanks,
Curt

jgc61sr2002
07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I generally replace the rotors when replacing the pads.
If there is no pulse in the peddle when breaking you may get away with changing the pads only.

jdando
07-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I would use the existing rotors, dress the rotors with emory cloth/sandpaper get new pads and then bed them in real good. Smoke pouring off the brake pads is good :D Make sure you go for a good cool down after bedding.

jeremy

magindat
07-03-2007, 11:13 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say you didn't bed them properly. As one steps up in performance pads, bedding becomes more and more important.

I've read it may be possible to re-bed the pads by dressing the rotors with abrasive paper, then re-bedding.

If you just used the pads after installation without beginning their life with some high speed panic stops to generate some heat, I'm afraid it's not the pad's fault...

O's Fan Rich
07-03-2007, 11:26 AM
I've also heard that driving with your foot resting on the brake a bit heats them up good too. That way you're not panic stopping at an inopportune moment.

Hotrauder
07-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Curt, Trust me, they suck. Period. I have had every one I know from brake shop to dealer to Carfixer and there is no fix. You are right on the money. You might try one of EBC's performance pads. I haven't. The whole darn kit is going in the trash soon. Dennis

O's Fan Rich
07-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Curt, Trust me, they suck. Period. I have had every one I know from brake shop to dealer to Carfixer and there is no fix. You are right on the money. You might try one of EBC's performance pads. I haven't. The whole darn kit is going in the trash soon. Dennis

Tell us how you REALLY feel Dennis....:flamer:

Grifter
07-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Kurt, have you changed out the brake fluid? It sounds silly, but fresh fluid does bring back some pedal.

KillJoy
07-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Did you install the EBC Rotors as well, at the same time?

Did you follow the break in procedure?

KillJoy

Big House
07-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Dumb question...what the heck is BEDDING? I got the same thing coming...so i really need to know how to do this bedding thing

KillJoy
07-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Dumb question...what the heck is BEDDING? I got the same thing coming...so i really need to know how to do this bedding thing

The way I do it.....

10 to 0
20 to 0
30 to 0
40 to 0
50 to 0
65 to 0
75 to 0

Let is cool each,

That is just me. Each manufacutere does their own thing.

KillJoy

Hotrauder
07-04-2007, 06:19 AM
Tell us how you REALLY feel Dennis....:flamer:

Sorry, but I have been trying to make this "GREAT" mod perform at least as well as the stock set up for a year... I am old and cranky and truely my EBC brakes suck. I am done messing with them and I am saving the moola for the big brake upgrade that I should have gone with in the first place. Dennis

O's Fan Rich
07-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Google "brake bedding" or "Bedding brakes" and there is a wealth of info to pop up.

Oh, and Dennis, I know... you've not been happy with those brakes for awhile.

PSG
07-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I am a mechanic for a municipality as i hav mentioned in the past , and we get special pads for the cop cars and if you just throw them on, all four corners with new or fresh cut rotor, then take them out on the road, they don't work worth a damn, we usually run the car up to about 50 or so then just stand on them till its totally stopped, do that a couple of times and they straiten out.also, i have worked on a few cars that run at limerock in ct, and some of the pads that the run, have such a hard lining that the don't work untill they get very hot, thats how there designed.some people spend all the money to put them on street cars and then don't understand that that isn't what they are set up for.normal street driving doesn't make enough heat to get them to work

cyclopsram
07-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Amen....unless you are under horrible conditions all the time your hi po brakes will never work right...you can't go to the 7-11 for a soda (pop) one minute and race at Lime Rock the next and expect the same setup to be supreme at both jobs...The Police Interceptor setup... broken in just a few panic stops.. will work well for most normal folks...and some abnormal ones...you are either a racer or a commuter...and now for the weekly spelling check... you can break your brakes, and you can peddle your wares, but you pedal your bicycle and put you foot on your brake pedal...and straighten out the road....Happy Holiday and keep em between the lines...

PSG
07-04-2007, 04:15 PM
you lost me

crouse
07-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Did you install the EBC Rotors as well, at the same time?

Did you follow the break in procedure?

KillJoy

I purchased the entire EBC rotor and brake pad kit for front and rear.

The instructions that came with the pads said nothing about bedding in the pads.

The outside of the box reads: The Brake-In coating on the pad surface is a major aid in helping pads to seat quickly and should not be removed or sanded.

crouse
07-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Found this on the EBC web site. I think I'll just keep the pads on and live with the noise.

4. Aeroplaning or Wind Noise on EBC GD series Sport Rotors under heavy braking
Provided you have the latest spec 3 slot version of EBC sport rotors the noise levels are as low as they will go with a sport rotor. We recently changed from 5 slot to 3 slot to reduce noise issues. The slots have a purpose of drawing cool air under the pad contact point and are therefore beneficial. On the 5 slot rotors experience shows us that noise gradually reduces over a period of driving but it can take up to 2000 miles use before this reaches its lowest point after which the noise is there to stay, some people like it, some people don’t. But if you are totally dissatisfied with the presence of this noise, please contact us again and we will come to a reasonable solution. There is ABSOLUTELY NO SAFETY ISSUE INVOLVED HERE.

9. Bedding in EBC pads
In Street use situations …
Bedding in when the red EBC surface coating (marked on the pads as Brake In) is applied.
Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.
Only after 200 miles urban driving (not 200 miles on a freeway where brakes are almost unused) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding on a QUIET ROAD in safe traffic apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated.
A smell may be noticed from the warm brakes, this is normal. Repeat this procedure a second time after the brakes have TOTALLY cooled down. EBC pads get better with miles. Even after this bed in procedure it can take up to 1500 miles before the pads are at their best. In the meantime the pads will be good and safe but true potential not realised. EBC makes performance pads that last, they do not bed in within 5 minutes driving. Noises will be more likely during the first 1000-1500 miles use whilst this chemical bedding takes place.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Sounds like EBC's instructions for their pads are totally different from what everyone else is advocating here. Point taken to read the manufacturer's own instructions and not just "go with the flow"...

Meteorite
07-07-2007, 06:34 AM
I followed, to the letter, the break-in procedure supplied with the EBC pads/rotors, and have been hilariously happy with the brakes ever since.

crouse
08-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Well, I've now had these pads on for about two months now and believe me they suck. This morning on my drive to work, I got on the brakes really hard at two intersections and at the third intersection, I had both feet on the pedal trying to stop. I'm thinking about going back to the stock pads. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement pad.

08-03-2007, 06:10 AM
I'd just get pads from the dealer if you really want stock pedal feel.

Meteorite
08-03-2007, 06:24 AM
Well, I've now had these pads on for about two months now and believe me they suck. This morning on my drive to work, I got on the brakes really hard at two intersections and at the third intersection, I had both feet on the pedal trying to stop. I'm thinking about going back to the stock pads. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement pad.

I cannot reconcile your data with my experience. I have the identical pads and rotors, and they have performed flawlessy for me. Better than stock pads, without a doubt.

Part-to-part variabililty?

Installation procedure?

Break-in (bedding) procedure?

I can't explain why yours "suck" but mine are completely quiet, leave less brake dust than stock, and stop on a dime. :dunno:

musclemerc
08-03-2007, 06:58 AM
to bed in rotors you go from 25~35 mph the slow to 10mph for 10 miles. I'm using the hawk pads and i'm happy with the way they perform!

wchain
08-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I would like to suggest Wagner Thermoquiets.

I run them in many various application, including active use police vehicles and the drivers love em.

Available thru me if you can't find them locally.

crouse
08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Wes, Thanks for the input. Just sent you an e-mail to order a set of fronts & rears. Curt

08-04-2007, 01:05 PM
I just had another idea that I don't think anyone came up with.

Did you open the bleeders when you installed your EBC pads (you should have, with an ABS vehicle so you don't contaminate the ABS controller parts by backflushing crap from the calipers upstream). If you did, are you 100% sure you did not introduce any air into the system, by having the C clamp or whatever you used to compress, slip a little before the bleeder was shut (I've had this happen before)? If you got some air into the system, you may be reducing the amount of force you are getting at the calipers because you are compressing some air, and not 100% fluid. A little bit of air may not show up as an unusually soft pedal. Just a thought, I've had it happen before.

MitchB
08-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Porterfield R4-S.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/index.html

Kenny Brown installed them on my supercharged Thunderbird while my car was at their shop in IN. Great street pad.

Mitch

Dennis Reinhart
08-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I purchased the EBC brake system from Dennis Reinhart and installed them about one month ago. Since day one they've make a slight scraping sound when I apply the brakes. No, I don't have the pads on backwards.

I know these pads have a wear in layer, but with 1200 miles and very little highway driving, you'd think I'd be past that by now. At first there was a lot of brake dust, but now there is very little, so I'm thinking I'm past the wear in layer.

The performance of these pads sucks. Worse than the factory pads. I have to use more pedal pressure to stop than before.

Should I keep these on or use these pads for target practice and get something different. Any suggestions? If I get new pads, should I have the rotors turned to get a good surface or just install new pads?

Thanks,
Curt

Well Curt you never have bothered to call me to express your dissatisfaction its kinda of hard to help.
If you want to give me a call, I will immediately call EBC, with you on the phone and I would have there top person there Joseph, on the phone with us.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

EBC is used on the Florida Highway Marauder Patrol cars, I have no complaints from them, and other members here have them as well, and if you read the instructions, there is a brake in period, if you do not follow it the pads will glaze up and you will have pedal fade which is exactly what you are describing, you also have to insure that when you install the new rotors the hubs must be cleaned to insure the rotors seat properly on the hubs, or that can cause issues as well. If you have not used them for target practice give me a call Monday since Joseph is on vacation till then, and will see what he suggests.