PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Chicago- Taxicab

harryo
07-17-2007, 07:03 AM
I have seen it for the second time, a Marauder Yellow Cab!!!! You can hear it coming. It just does not seem right.

1of327
07-17-2007, 07:19 AM
I gotta see a pic to believe this.....

Breadfan
07-17-2007, 08:13 AM
There's an independant taxi owner in my community, he stopped when I was washing my car and asked me about it, said he likes his Grand Marquis but that this [the MM] would be a "real fast taxi"

RoyLPita
07-17-2007, 08:45 AM
+1 on the pics.

Lou
07-17-2007, 09:37 AM
I have seen it for the second time, a Marauder Yellow Cab!!!! You can hear it coming. It just does not seem right.

Aw man that's just WRONG!!:eek:

Rider90
07-17-2007, 10:06 AM
I don't believe it, until I see it.

There are so many "No's" when it comes to making a Marauder into a fleet vehicle. First, you have the 302 H.P. engine that doesn't belong in ANY Taxi Driver's hands. We've seen drivers snap 28 spline axles because they're flooring it through puddles and getting traction on the other side - That's with a SOHC 4.6L. Unbelievable right? Drivers dump any fluid they can find into the gas tank if the vehicle doesn't get good gas mileage, they think it breaks too often, or they're being moved to a different car soon.

With the extra power of the DOHC 4.6L, the transmission will go faster due to the extra heat because the driver has 302 ponies on tap, and he'll use it every chance he has. Imagine he has 302 H.P. and he uses every bit of it - Now his gas mileage sucks. Now it is burning a hole into his pocket - And you REALLY think he is putting 93 in it? $$$ So you've got a driver that fills up with 87/89 on a good day, who romps on it left and right. Can you say knock?

Now lets say the Chicago driver holds his own medallion, and his own vehicle. That this Marauder is his, that he put on the street. I guess he wasn't interested in making a profit - With the low Chicago-set meter rates ($1.80/mile) that have not been changed in YEARS ever since gas prices started going up, he now has to fork over extra for premium gas - Otherwise he'll fork over extra for repairs due to the inevitable detonation with cheap fuel, which every single driver is looking for. A penny saved is a penny earned...

Do you even know what kind of oil these cars get? Not the suggested 5w-20, it's the cheapest stuff that can be found on the planet. Intervals are monitored and followed religiously, but the oil is junk. Filters are generally good though.

I've seen a dozen Grand Marquis in Chicago and the Suburbs of Chicago with 5-spoke rims, chrome pipes, and depending on how serious the driver is about being a wanna-be I'll even see different headlights. Heck I've even seen the local police department sport around a black Crown Victoria with Marauder wheels. There are so many Marauder wanna-bes out there it's pretty sick...I'm willing to bet it's just a wanna-be.

So I'm calling B.S.! :beer:

hot-rauder
07-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't believe it, until I see it.

There are so many "No's" when it comes to making a Marauder into a fleet vehicle. First, you have the 302 H.P. engine that doesn't belong in ANY Taxi Driver's hands. We've seen drivers snap 28 spline axles because they're flooring it through puddles and getting traction on the other side - That's with a SOHC 4.6L. Unbelievable right? Drivers dump any fluid they can find into the gas tank if the vehicle doesn't get good gas mileage, they think it breaks too often, or they're being moved to a different car soon.

With the extra power of the DOHC 4.6L, the transmission will go faster due to the extra heat because the driver has 302 ponies on tap, and he'll use it every chance he has. Imagine he has 302 H.P. and he uses every bit of it - Now his gas mileage sucks. Now it is burning a hole into his pocket - And you REALLY think he is putting 93 in it? $$$ So you've got a driver that fills up with 87/89 on a good day, who romps on it left and right. Can you say knock?

Now lets say the Chicago driver holds his own medallion, and his own vehicle. That this Marauder is his, that he put on the street. I guess he wasn't interested in making a profit - With the low Chicago-set meter rates ($1.80/mile) that have not been changed in YEARS ever since gas prices started going up, he now has to fork over extra for premium gas - Otherwise he'll fork over extra for repairs due to the inevitable detonation with cheap fuel, which every single driver is looking for. A penny saved is a penny earned...

Do you even know what kind of oil these cars get? Not the suggested 5w-20, it's the cheapest stuff that can be found on the planet. Intervals are monitored and followed religiously, but the oil is junk. Filters are generally good though.

I've seen a dozen Grand Marquis in Chicago and the Suburbs of Chicago with 5-spoke rims, chrome pipes, and depending on how serious the driver is about being a wanna-be I'll even see different headlights. Heck I've even seen the local police department sport around a black Crown Victoria with Marauder wheels. There are so many Marauder wanna-bes out there it's pretty sick...I'm willing to bet it's just a wanna-be.

So I'm calling B.S.! :beer:

im glad someone posted it... i dont like to type that much very often:D
i too am calling:bs:

rvaldez1
07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I am in the loop every day (all around the loop), I have yet to see a marauder cab, though I have seen a few things out of the ordinary.

Just from a practical perspective a rauder would not work as a taxi, tires cost too much, rims would easily get bent/scratched, and not too forget the damn center console, taxis have way too much crap to have a center console in the way.

I have to see it to believe it.

rayjay
07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
A couple years ago someone posted a picture of a MM being used for a cab in NYC. IIRC it was beat.

OneBADLsE
07-17-2007, 03:25 PM
IN NYC there is a DBP being used as a TAXI! Blackend300a has the pic of it...I couldnt believe it

Shora
07-17-2007, 03:58 PM
You all have valid points on why a Marauder won't make a practical taxi. However, there are enough dumba$$es that I bet there are a few out there.

I bet that someone found a good deal on a used Marauder and thought that it would be a better deal than a used MGM or Lincoln Towncar (used here often).

I also bet that he didn't know much about the Marauder when be bought it and maybe didn't notice that it needs 93 octane and that the tires are more expansive and don't last as long. After all, how many here were shocked at the fast wear points of our rears?

About the "crap in the center consol": I agree that more room is better but FHP is using Marauders in their fleet (I see them everyday) and they have as much "crap" or more in theirs.

Lou
07-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Well if there's some guy using a Prius or one of those square xb thingies, I guess anything is possible

hot-rauder
07-19-2007, 04:22 PM
IN NYC there is a DBP being used as a TAXI! Blackend300a has the pic of it...I couldnt believe it

acn blackend get here so we can see such a tragedy... well at least its a blue one and not black, never want to hurt the good ones jk:P

** sorry blue guys i am just upset that you are so rare:). and its probably fun to see your face when you see a blue one being used as a cab.**

chapel1
07-19-2007, 05:33 PM
With the Marauder the cabbie need to run the vacuum hoses to the back seat to cool the passengers?

Rider90
07-19-2007, 05:39 PM
With the Marauder the cabbie need to run the vacuum hoses to the back seat to cool the passengers?
In Chicago they just hook up ducting to a center vent (Usually right side of radio) and run that to the upper vent in the plastic divider.

hot-rauder
07-19-2007, 06:19 PM
In Chicago they just hook up ducting to a center vent (Usually right side of radio) and run that to the upper vent in the plastic divider.

still crapping up the rauder

SID210SA
07-20-2007, 05:34 AM
Well if there's some guy using a Prius or one of those square xb thingies, I guess anything is possible

Here is our one and only Prius Taxi:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/12/one_prius_enter.html

But thank God, no Marauder Taxi's here!!