PDA

View Full Version : Petition For Virginia Driver Fines...

High-C
07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe this will help???

http://www.petitiononline.com/va3202/ (http://www.petitiononline.com/va3202/)

CBT
07-17-2007, 01:05 PM
112,505 is my signature number, thanks bro!

High-C
07-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Dude, These points blow my mind... I cannot believe that they are punishing residents that already pay insane state taxes. Don't even get me started about Fairfax County taxes as well. - C

1. The fines inflict a punishment on drivers that is disproportionate to the degree of the offense they committed.
2. The fines are mandatory, and judges are given no discretion in sentencing.
3. The language of the bill states that the purpose is to "generate revenue" and hence the fines have nothing to do with traffic safety.
4. The bill's sponsor, Del. David Albo (R- 42nd District) is a partner in a law firm that specializes in traffic court cases and stands to benefit personally from this legislation. This type of conflict of interest should not be tolerated.
5. The fines in the bill apply ONLY to Virginia residents, hence unfairly creating different penalties for the same traffic offense based solely on residency.
6. In order to generate additional revenue, points for driving offenses remain on the offender's license for up to 11 years. This will unnecessarily increase the offender's insurance rates for a time frame that is incongruent with the degree of the offense.

CBT
07-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Dude, These points blow my mind... I cannot believe that they are punishing residents that already pay insane state taxes. Don't even get me started about Fairfax County taxes as well. - C

1. The fines inflict a punishment on drivers that is disproportionate to the degree of the offense they committed.
2. The fines are mandatory, and judges are given no discretion in sentencing.
3. The language of the bill states that the purpose is to "generate revenue" and hence the fines have nothing to do with traffic safety.
4. The bill's sponsor, Del. David Albo (R- 42nd District) is a partner in a law firm that specializes in traffic court cases and stands to benefit personally from this legislation. This type of conflict of interest should not be tolerated.
5. The fines in the bill apply ONLY to Virginia residents, hence unfairly creating different penalties for the same traffic offense based solely on residency.
6. In order to generate additional revenue, points for driving offenses remain on the offender's license for up to 11 years. This will unnecessarily increase the offender's insurance rates for a time frame that is incongruent with the degree of the offense.
Number 5 means illegal immigrants will not be fined, but you and I will, because WE are legal Virginia residents. Cool, huh?

69marquis conv
07-17-2007, 01:36 PM
:mad2::mad2::mad2:

jonroe
07-18-2007, 03:46 AM
I'm number 118,468. Typical Northern Virginia politicians from both sides who won't do their job which is to secure appropriate VA state funding from Richmond for NoVA projects. This is total B/S.

fastblackmerc
07-18-2007, 05:04 AM
What are you Va guys going to do about this? I say impeach the bill's sponsor.

Bluerauder
07-18-2007, 07:56 AM
I am in too; but I forgot to write down my signature number. :o Many of the legislators are now back tracking on their vote and have asked for a "special session" to reconsider this thing. Seems many of them have a reading comprehension problem or maybe can't read at all. Seems the public outrage on this has caused this to backfire in their faces. It is doubtful that a special session will be convened since this is an election year and they just don't want to open up this "Can-o-Worms" to the open public scrutiny that it is likely to get. Last time it just slid through with about 2,000 other :bs: legislative bills and no one really took notice. My delegate asked me for my opinion on the fines and other related "fees" and I gave her a NWIH response. She voted against it. :D

merc6
07-19-2007, 01:19 PM
137246 is mine. Need to move to md or even tx.

Haggis
07-20-2007, 04:42 AM
As the old saying goes; 'Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.'

I heard this morning on the news that the fines are for those caught duing 20mph over the speed limit. Something has to be done about the idiot drivers in the DC area.

Bluerauder
07-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Something has to be done about the idiot drivers in the DC area.
I agree. But "Idiot Driver's" account for about 50% of the folks on the roads around here. However, I would rather be running with those that do 70-75 mph on the highway and know what they are doing rather than those that run at 45-50 mph on I-95 and are clueless. You should have learned this or seen it first hand in Germany.

I find the "timid and clueless" driver far more dangerous on the road than the "so-called" aggressive/confident driver. The timid people are unpredictable, don't signal, change lanes abruptly, drag at 10 mph under the speed limit, feel a need to constantly be on the cell phone because of their personal insecurities, cross 3 lanes of traffic at the last minute to take an exit because their little minds wander, can't keep their vehicle no matter how small between the lines on the road, shortcut turns, roll through stop signs, run the amber/red light and leave you stranded 'cause they have been dragging butt. It really amazes me that any of these people actually passed the driver's test.

But that's just my opinion. :soapbox:

Haggis
07-20-2007, 06:53 AM
I agree. But "Idiot Driver's" account for about 50% of the folks on the roads around here. However, I would rather be running with those that do 70-75 mph on the highway and know what they are doing rather than those that run at 45-50 mph on I-95 and are clueless. You should have learned this or seen it first hand in Germany.

I find the "timid and clueless" driver far more dangerous on the road than the "so-called" aggressive/confident driver. The timid people are unpredictable, don't signal, change lanes abruptly, drag at 10 mph under the speed limit, feel a need to constantly be on the cell phone because of their personal insecurities, cross 3 lanes of traffic at the last minute to take an exit because their little minds wander, can't keep their vehicle no matter how small between the lines on the road, shortcut turns, roll through stop signs, run the amber/red light and leave you stranded 'cause they have been dragging butt. It really amazes me that any of these people actually passed the driver's test.

But that's just my opinion. :soapbox:

But the spped limit is still 55mph, if you are doing 20mph over!(?) The traffic needs to slow down all of it, not just the 50%.