PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging

MarauderBoy
10-04-2002, 03:25 PM
I had a chance to talk with Rick at Kenny Brown today as I was interested in what they may be doing to the MM. He mentioned that they have two in right now getting prototype Vortech superchargers. I asked if there was any intent to have a roots version as well. Rick mentioned that the current limiting factor is the intake and that prevented them from looking at the roots version right now. He did say the the Vortech was specifically designed to bring the power up sooner than traditionally available via centrifugal blowers and would be at full boost by 5000 rpm's. He had no dyno numbers yet.

I was disappointed to hear that they weren't working on a roots type but encouraged about their centrifugal development. Lastly, Rick said that they were woking on trans mods as well.

mensrea
10-04-2002, 10:19 PM
One of the Marauder's is mine and all I can say is I CAN'T WAIT.

Even Allen Engine Design is staying away from the 4V motors, the vortech should be fine. Kenny has some great mods in mind, trust me that when I get it back I will post an indepth review here and am willing to answer any questions. Or... give Rich a call and ask away.

03 Merc
10-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Mensrea,

Thanks for being the "beta" site as we say in the geek world... I am waiting to see the results as well as supercharging is the route I intend to take. I just saw that Sean Hyland Motorsports now has a Marauder package teaser ad on their site but has not posted the details..

BTW when I had my 01 Cobra I never did see a roots type kit for the 32V 4.6 from the after market. I think hood issues had a lot to do with that decision... The Vortech and ATI kits I saw on Cobras were awesome...you had better order new tires now BTW..:D :D

b4z
10-05-2002, 06:50 AM
The Marauder does need a supercharger, but I am concerned how the aluminum block will handle the power.
The '03 Cobra has an iron block for this very reason.
Didn't Car and driver blow up 3 or 4 engines when they modded a Crown Vic several years ago?

03 Merc
10-05-2002, 07:01 AM
b4z,

The Cobra owners have been supercharging sucessfully for a while... If you mix a supercharger and nitrous is when you have a death wish..:)

Seriously, if you don't over do it the motor will be fine. The only reason I am waiting is the intake plumbing on the Marauder is reversed compared to the Mustang. I want to see a couple of solutions for this before I jump in the pool... that and I have to get approval from the "Minister of Finance":rolleyes:

cutt
10-05-2002, 02:37 PM
i think kenne bell has the best roots blower out for the mustang 4.6 32v.i dont think he has anything on the MM

mensrea
10-06-2002, 11:40 AM
I couldn't find anything for the 4V 4.6s, even on Kenne Bell's site. Superchargersonline said he only makes it for the 96.

Did you find one?

Larry Vogel
10-06-2002, 01:22 PM
The guy's at Mercury already have a root's type blower on a Marauder, ie. the M/M conv and their was one at the Woodward Cruise.

mensrea
10-06-2002, 01:47 PM
The ones you mention are either the 5.4 or a 4.6 2V motor.

Here's a link that mentions the marauder convertible is a SOHC design.

Review of the marauder convertible (http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/48983/page003.html)

I have been unable to find any 4V roots type blowers, and I have looked around.

In 1999 Ford updated the 4.6L 4V engine package to the Tumble-Port design and in the process significantly altered the fuel system. The new returnless single flow fuel delivery system created unique fuel issues when supercharging. This is why there are so few 4V blowers out there.

If you dig you will find that the only roots type blowers are either for the 2V 4.6 or the older cobra motors.

If I am wrong please let me know, because I would prefer roots.

03 Merc
10-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Mensrea,

I don't think you will find it...as I mentioned above I never saw a roots type for the 01 Cobra either.. I have yet to see one in my current research as well...

Larry Vogel
10-06-2002, 05:34 PM
The picture of one is on ----www.superford.org----- 2003 Marauder 4dr

reg. name of Hack Goby, # 1288 look in the Woodward Cruise photo's.
Theirs 2 or three pictures, don't know for sure but think they are Eaton units.

03 Merc
10-07-2002, 04:22 AM
I saw those photos but they are currently factory "unobtainium" one offs that you cannot purchase.... I have not been able to locate a roots type in my digging around... and I have been told they aren't available, by people who should know.. but it is just a question of time I suspect before someone brings one to market...

Leadfoot
10-07-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by 03 Merc
The Cobra owners have been supercharging sucessfully for a while... If you mix a supercharger and nitrous is when you have a death wish..:)

Seriously, if you don't over do it the motor will be fine

A supercharger or nitrous alone will kill the motor if you are not careful. If you avoid detonation, you should be "fine." Alternative Auto here in MI claims to have 700 hp on these engines with the stock internals with no problems. http://www.alternativeauto.com/

Someone posted awhile back on http://www.corral.net asking about how long do supercharged engines last. Most reported 10,000 - 30,000 miles so far without problems. Others reported only a few thousand miles. I think the ones with low miles were hardcore racers or had bad luck with tuners.

If you find a talented tuner or stick with a complete kit, you should not have too much to worry about. If you are trying to squeeze every bit of hp out, you might get too aggressive and break something.