PDA

View Full Version : I broke something :(

CRZYBIKER
07-22-2007, 09:59 AM
I did a search, found some decent information on what I MAY have broken, but some of my transmission's symptoms are a little unique. I am hoping someone can give me a good idea of what is wrong so I can resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Car: 03 A
Mileage: 65K
Trans serviced approximately 10K miles ago
Lidio tune

It happened taking off from a dead stop at W.O.T. The car accelerated good until it hit the 1-2 shift point, then it bounced off the revv limiter, no more drive gear. I pulled over, turned overdrive off and was able to drive it home. I checked the fluid, good, clean, full.

Current symptoms (overdrive on)

1) will not go into reverse
2) sometimes will go into first when fluttering the gas.
3) will shift from first to second (at an unusually high R.P.M)
4) If I do not keep accelerating in second it will fall in and out of gear
5) No third gear or overdrive

Overdrive off:
1) will shift 1-2, but at a very high R.P.M with a lot of hesitation
2) will shift into third fine
3) have reverse

I am sick to my stomach, guess I should not have been playing around so much. I appreciate any and all feedback, I am hoping it is something easy, but that may be a little too optimistic.

Local Boy
07-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Have you been "manually shifting" that thing, at WOT?...

ALOHA

CRZYBIKER
07-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I have manually shifted, however never under acceleration.

Logan
07-22-2007, 11:24 AM
It's dead. Head for the tranny shop for a rebuild before you completely destroy it beyond repair...

MACFORD88
07-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Maybe Direct Clutchs And Sungear.known For 4r70ws.

Local Boy
07-22-2007, 12:23 PM
When ever you manually shift...you engage the OD band...After a few of those...it's just a matter of time before you have said problems...

Good luck on the re-build...

ALOHA

max454
07-22-2007, 01:11 PM
is there a warning sign before this happens.
shifted manuelly myself a couple of times before reading this board about the problem. Seems to be working fine for now..

Local Boy
07-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Let me first clarify ... I'm not an expert on transmissions...nor do I work on them...Therefore, all the information that I "pass on" is obtained from this site...particularly from individuals (Zack and others)who know how to build them and whom I trust to know what they are talking about...

If you type in "manually shift" into the search button...you can read the posts from which I 'am refering...

From what I understand...two things come to mind:

1. As I have said...manually shifting our cars engages the OD band...Do this often enough (at high revs) and you will surely reduce the life of your trans.

2. Whenever, you intend to "punch it"...you should have your OD "OFF"...You do not want your OD to come on while at WOT...Two mistakes the original poster presumably made...

As for your question...I'm sure there are "warning signs" of some sort...
But can not be specific...again because I do not work on them...

That question would be better answered by those who build and work on them...Ask Zack...That guy knows his stuff....

Sorry, I can't be of more help...

ALOHA

CRZYBIKER
07-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I am taking it to a highly recommended shop tomorrow, hopefully it will not be too bad.

ctrlraven
07-22-2007, 08:34 PM
I've always noticed that when reverse goes out in a automatic transmission its only a matter where the rest of the gears are going to fail and leave you sitting on the side of the road.

Logan
07-23-2007, 06:06 AM
If you have to get it rebuilt, spend a bit extra and have it rebuilt properly with an Art Carr kit or something so it doesn't blow up on you again..

magindat
07-23-2007, 06:46 AM
I agree, get Art Carr parts for it.

Badger
07-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Ummmm...I think something went ka-tung on mine this afternoon.
OD off and not even a drop pedal acceleration. Notice it takes more revs to get going from stop.
I've been noticing a thunk sound from the front end and have it in several times trying to find the noise. This morning I noticed it thunked into gear much louder then normal.

Anyone know of a tranny shop in the DC Northern VA area that can look at it/rebuild it bullet proof?

merc
07-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Ummmm...I think something went ka-tung on mine this afternoon.
OD off and not even a drop pedal acceleration. Notice it takes more revs to get going from stop.
I've been noticing a thunk sound from the front end and have it in several times trying to find the noise. This morning I noticed it thunked into gear much louder then normal.

Anyone know of a tranny shop in the DC Northern VA area that can look at it/rebuild it bullet proof?

Sherman just had his trans re-build for a good price in Northern VA. I will ask him what's the name of the shop. The turn around time was good also.

Badger
07-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Merc...please do. I contacted Randy via cell phone already. When the car is in park I hear the dreaded whining/hydarulic cavitation noise. Level seems fine...smell is okay. Something definitly went ka-tung. It's an 04. Been noticing a shifting sound in first at low speed. Wonder if it's a solenoid. Engine definity seems to rev higher without the torque.

CRZYBIKER
07-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Well,
Got mine resolved and will be able to pick it up tomorrow. Rear clutch shell weld broke. The shop I took it to is well known by seasoned auto pro friends I have and it seems like the guy really knows his stuff. I asked him to quote me for the rebuild and a higher stall converter. I called today and he said he was done but wanted to ‘tweak it’ a little more to further firm up the shifts above and beyond what the Lidio tune does. He said he hand made a higher stall converter for me with extra strong brazing so it will be tough. He said they looked at the “hot spots” where my driving style was wearing the most and beefed up those areas. He asked for one more day of “tweaking” so he can get the shifts where I would really like it. He kind of sounded like a kid in a candy store, I think he just wants to drive my car one day longer J.

Pat
07-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Justin,

Great news about your car's tranny getting fixed. After you drive it awhile and everything works OK post up on how the converter feels, new shift feeling and the name of this shop. We might avail ourselves of his services in the ArkLATex.

Thanks,

CRZYBIKER
07-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Will do Pat, Thanks for the post. I feel terrible for not making any events this year, but so far 2007 is one thing after another for me.