PDA

View Full Version : Back To N/A.......

Marauderjack
07-23-2007, 01:23 PM
After 20 months (and 64K miles) of ProCharger bliss I was installing my EMP-Stewart water pump and paying very special attention to noises and possible leaks!!:confused::shake:

That's when I heard a semi-grinding noise from the blower but it went away when RPM's increased??:cool4: Now these blowers are pretty noisy at idle due to straight cut gears but this sounded more like a rough bearing...almost like a bad alternator bearing!!:shake:

I took the belt off and spun the blower and it was smooth so I took the intake tube off and spun it from that side....smooth again...Hmmmm???:confused:

I put the belt back on and went for a drive and could hear the bearing type noise now that I was looking for it....boost was great and it performed well!!:beer:

I called ProCharger today and we decided to send it in for a freshening and to see what might be making the noise (BTW....the drain magnet was clean as always). :cool:

I reconnected the intake tube with a bit of back yard engineering and went for a drive.....LAME & S-L-O-W but whatcha expect??:rolleyes:

Stay tuned for updates!!:D

Marauderjack:dunno:

Zack
07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Its probably the idler pulley on the timing cover.
They dont last 64k with a blower.

Marauderjack
07-23-2007, 01:53 PM
When I put the stock belt back on the idlers were very quiet as was the whole engine compartment!!:beer:

I used the ole "Stick-In-Da-Ear" trick to listen to the blower and it appears to be in the gearbox at the input shaft area??:cool:

Thanks for the reply and the idea Zack!!:beer:

Marauderjack:rasta:

O's Fan Rich
07-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Ahhh..better safe than sorry MJ.
I'd imagine it's a good time for some sort of upgrade too...

More is better?

Marauderjack
07-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Ahhh..better safe than sorry MJ.
I'd imagine it's a good time for some sort of upgrade too...

More is better?

Yeppers Rich.....

I felt that it would be to my advantage to get it checked so I don't get stranded in LA (lower Alabama)!!!:rolleyes:

As far as the upgrade I think I'll stay with the P-1SC for now since the motor has a bunch of miles on it. When I build a motor to handle the extra boost I may go to the D-1SC but for now I can spin the 295's all the way into 2nd gear as it is!!:bows::eek:

Marauderjack:burnout:

snowbird
07-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Marauderjack,

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm guessing that Procharger have some kind of procedure to change all bearings and seals when they do this ?

MarauderTJA
07-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Jack. you could get it upgraded to a D1SC and put a larger pulley on it. Then you would be set later on. It is worth the upgrade and cost. The boost comes on much quicker with the D1SC....just a suggestion.

sailsmen
07-23-2007, 07:05 PM
I believe it will drop as much as .5 in the 1/4 w/ the bigger blower.

Marauderjack
07-24-2007, 03:34 AM
Jack. you could get it upgraded to a D1SC and put a larger pulley on it. Then you would be set later on. It is worth the upgrade and cost. The boost comes on much quicker with the D1SC....just a suggestion.

Tom,

I thought about it but my motor has a bunch of miles on it and the P-1SC is just perfect for me on the street...I don't race and .5 seconds either way makes no difference??:confused:

I do plan on keeping the car and will build a new motor and trans when the time comes.....hopefully I can retire her as a "Road Warrior" and have another daily driver. That's when I'll concentrate on her as a HOBBY and make more power....I hope??!!:cool:

Someone mentioned ProCharger's rebuild procedure and they tear it down completely and replace anything that doesn't meet their specs.....seals, gears, bearings, etc.!!:beer: Rebuilds range from $50.00 to around $1500.00 if the impeller and housing are trashed!!:bigcry:

Marauderjack:eek: