PDA

View Full Version : i'm crying

marauderray
07-27-2007, 01:39 PM
This is a very depressing story folks...

:depress:

I recently purchased a 04 MM with 59000 miles on it. ITS an amazing machine. I only drove it hard 4 times (1st time - 120, 2nd time - 110, 3rd time 90 somthing, and the last time i did 100.) But the last time i got down in it hard it felt funny when it hit 100 ,after 100 it felt like it wanted to shift into another gear. It didn't feel that the other times i hit it hard. So anyway, A couple days later i was pulling into my girlfriends house and i heard a funny noise. It sounded like a grinding noise. I only heard it once. so i dismissed it. So we went to the next town 40 miles away and i parked to get out. When i got back in and put it in reverse i heard a loud clicking thumpin noise. It was one click thump.... After i backed up i heard the grinding noise again. And this time is was noticeble and here to stay. So i drove the car home careful not to exceed 60mph. I took it to my friends house. He's a ford certified mechanic. He told me it was the transmission. I felt like my someone shot me. lol...

Monday i'll take it to the dealership. hopefully it'll be somthing other than the transmission... somthing cheaper... but i think its the tranny. because when i put it in drive and take my foot off the brake, the car just sits there untill i hit the gas... and now that i think about it, it was doing it a little bit before it started making the grinding noise. Oh yea. I doesn't go in reverse any... well somtimes it does... but not really...
:mad2:

What do yall think...????????????

KillJoy
07-27-2007, 01:41 PM
My Trans died at the Track :D

Where are you located?

KillJoy

KillJoy
07-27-2007, 01:42 PM
No need for the double post.

One's enough ;)

KillJoy

Zack
07-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Where do you live?

KillJoy
07-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Where do you live?

See the OTHER (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37216) post Zack. I asked the SAME question ;)

KillJoy

marauderray
07-27-2007, 01:48 PM
greenwood, ms

Breadfan
07-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Maybe driveshaft vibration from high speeds caused a problem?

RCSignals
07-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Did your friend check the fluid level?

marauderray
07-27-2007, 02:11 PM
i checked the fluid... it looked fine... another thing i just thought about... when i first got it the car, i used to feel vibration from the rear of the car between first and 2nd gear... but i didn't feel it any more after i got my oil changed the first time...

Motorhead350
07-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Transmissions don't break.

KillJoy

^^^^^^ What he said. Hope it's just your rear end or something simple.

marauderray
07-27-2007, 02:16 PM
would the rear end be causing these types of problems. the loud clicking noise... the grinding noise... no reverse.??????????

but like i said... sometimes it grinds somtimes it dont... i hope its minor...

Motorhead350
07-27-2007, 02:33 PM
OK the reverse is another story. Sorry man. :o

rayjay
07-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Did you turn off the OD before mashing the go pedal? Most likely this is on the previous owner and you inherited the problem. Hope its a fairly simple fix.

marauderray
07-27-2007, 02:47 PM
no... i didn't turn the overdrive off... damn... i didn't know i had too...

now i'm really hurt...

sicilianmarquis
07-27-2007, 03:15 PM
you sure you had the overdrive on when you were riding it hard?

KillJoy
07-27-2007, 03:19 PM

now i'm really hurt...

OD Band go bye bye

:(

KillJoy

marauderray
07-27-2007, 03:23 PM
yea... it was on...

marauderray
07-27-2007, 03:27 PM
when thats goes... is that the end of the whole tranny... what do i need to do... give me an idea before i goto the tranny shop

KillJoy
07-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Possibly just a rebuild.

Also look into having the J-Mod done. You can Search for it on this site using the Search Button at the top of the screen.

PERSONALLY, I would not take it to the Dealership. You WILL pay a premium.

Are there any local Speed Shops that specialize in Mustangs?

KillJoy

xopher
07-27-2007, 04:46 PM
...felt like it wanted to shift into another gear. It didn't feel that the other times i hit it hard...
...heard a funny noise. It sounded like a grinding noise. I only heard it once...
...put it in reverse i heard a loud clicking thumpin noise. It was one click thump...
...After i backed up i heard the grinding noise again. And this time is was noticeble and here to stay...
...when i put it in drive and take my foot off the brake, the car just sits there untill i hit the gas...
...and now that i think about it, it was doing it a little bit before it started making the grinding noise. Oh yea. I doesn't go in reverse any...
Sounds like you're already decided it's the tranny, but check one more thing. MANY of the symptoms are identical to occasions when my automatic parking brake release sticks and doesn't release like it should. Check it out before you drop a fat stack on a tranny. Might save you a grand or two.

ChiTownMaraud3r
07-27-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry but doesn't the overdrive prevent wear on the gears of the transmission especially at higher speeds? :confused:

rayjay
07-27-2007, 05:34 PM

now i'm really hurt...

4 times is not going to toast the tranny. Like I said the damage was probably already done. When its fixed, only hammer the throttle after turning the OD off. If the OD is the problem there is a more solid part that you can have installed during the rebuild. You will have to search here to find the part number.

Local Boy
07-29-2007, 09:37 AM
One more point...Not good to manually shift...particularly at high revs....this engauges the OD band...Not a good thing...

ALOHA