PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive Problem

HBTMD
07-28-2007, 09:06 AM
My 2003 Marauder has only 10,000 miles on it. I am the original owner. About once a month the Overdrive light flickers and I cannont get it into overdrive. The problem is easily resolved by turning off the engine and restarting. (Sort of like Rebooting the computer). The problem is resolved for about a month then crops up again. My local Ford dealer examined the vehicle and they have no idea what the problem is. They have kindly offered to tear apart the entire transmission and look for the problem at an estimated cost of $3,000 or more for labor plus parts.

It sounds more like an electronic problem than a mechanical problem to me. Any recommendations?

HwyCruiser
07-28-2007, 10:10 AM
I agree that this is probably electrical not mechanical. The OD light comes on when you press the OD button on the shifter and the PCM locks out the OD upshift. I'd be looking the switch and the wiring between it and the PCM. By the tone of the dealer I assume your out of any extended warranty. Sounds like they gave you the typical out of warranty response.

sicilianmarquis
07-28-2007, 10:18 AM
+1 on the mechanical

Richy04
07-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Follow the OD button wire to its connector and disconnect it. See if it continues with the flicker and lockout, if its electro-mechanical (loose or rubbing thru) its at the shifter, computer or tranny connector most of the time. Its worth a little investigation on your own.