PDA

View Full Version : I think i got old gas problems

kartherma
07-30-2007, 08:43 PM
well only a few of you have followed my FIT install saga...and most have grown uninterested...I might have the record for the longest install...ever.

anyways, it is pretty much all done and now I have two problems.
first one is the gas has sat in that dang thing for the better part of 18 months probably. it was started every now and then until the install started...which I think was july of last year. I pretty much finished last month and the car did start...however very reluctantly and didnt like to stay running.

what do I do?
since there is less than 1/4 tank in the car should i just fill'er up?
thoughts?

thanks!
the other problem I will detail in another thread. it is a bit more complicated and might have an inflamatory affect on the board. (NOT an FIT issue!)

Curt

RCSignals
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
You could siphon put as much as you can, then add some fresh gas.

Do you use 'Stabil' ?

kartherma
07-30-2007, 10:26 PM
well, i have to confess...I am pretty dumb about stuff like Stabil and the like.

I guess I could siphon it out. That will be a real fun trip back to my high school days! just gotta make sure I dont get too agressive! :puke:

RCSignals
07-30-2007, 11:01 PM
You can buy a siphon pump pretty cheap

FordNut
07-31-2007, 05:01 AM
It should be ok to top it off with fresh, premium fuel.

rayjay
07-31-2007, 05:51 AM
It should be ok to top it off with fresh, premium fuel.
+1, I would just drive it easy until you know its running ok. Just a thought, I would be concerned that the siphon hose may stir up accumlated gunk on the bottom of the tank.

larryo340
07-31-2007, 05:57 AM
it's hard if not impossible to get a siphon down these tiny filler necks

ckadiddle
07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Pay a high school kid ten bucks to start the siphoning for ya! ;)

KillJoy
07-31-2007, 08:49 AM
PERSONALLY......

I would baby it to the nearest, high quality, preferrably 94 Octane gas station. Add 2 bottles of STP Fuel Injector Cleaner, and then fill up!

But....that's just me.

:D

KillJoy

RCSignals
07-31-2007, 11:03 AM
it's hard if not impossible to get a siphon down these tiny filler necks

They do make smaller hose :lol:

RCSignals
07-31-2007, 11:06 AM
+1, I would just drive it easy until you know its running ok. Just a thought, I would be concerned that the siphon hose may stir up accumlated gunk on the bottom of the tank.

If the hose will stir up sediment, so will driving over speed bumps etc.

He's likely safe topping up, but if the gas is as old as he 'remembers', it may even be older. Sounds to me like he may already be experiencing problems from it.

kartherma
07-31-2007, 11:20 AM
I found a siphon pump at pepboys for 2 bucks. couldnt get it down into the gas though...must be a hard turn in the pipe or some baffles.
I put 5 gallons in and raised the tank level to 1/2 or so.

she still turns famously but wont start. she seems to catch and cough every now and then.

any ideas?

KillJoy
07-31-2007, 11:22 AM
I found a siphon pump at pepboys for 2 bucks. couldnt get it down into the gas though...must be a hard turn in the pipe or some baffles.
I put 5 gallons in and raised the tank level to 1/2 or so.

she still turns famously but wont start. she seems to catch and cough every now and then.

any ideas?

Did you add any fuel injector cleaner? If not, do so.

You will also need to top that tank off to help dilute that bad gas as well....

KillJoy

larryo340
07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
I know that on my car there is a service port on the fuel rail, I'm not sure if the new cars have them. If it does you could check for fuel pressure. Which brings up the question, do you hear the fuel pump energize ??

kartherma
07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
there is a service connetion on the fuel rail on the drivers side. it has a shroeder (sp?) tire type fitting.
I am solo here with no help. One idea I had was to set up a hose with a fitting to the fuel rail port and run it to a bucket and turn it over to see if I cannot flush the lines out.

Does this sound like a fair ideal or a fairly bad idea?

RCSignals
07-31-2007, 03:40 PM
That doesn't sound like a good idea to do while trying to start the car.

You could check that port for fuel pressure when the car is not running, just be sure to catch any gas.

Have you checked the fuel pump fuse?

musclemerc
07-31-2007, 04:02 PM
don't forget to add some octane boost also add lucas fuel injector treatment

RCSignals
07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Is there such a thing as Octane Boost that really boosts octane?

Bradley G
07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Even with old fuel, the thing should run. Were any modifications, done to the fuel system? Does the FIT kit, supply a different fuel pump?

kartherma
08-01-2007, 08:50 AM
update:
I got me one of those fancy fuel pressure testing rigs. It seems the fuel pump is not even running.
The FIT kit did come with a new fuel pump, but it was the last thing I had to do. I had tried it and the project kicked my bootie. It was in my head to take it down to the auto hobby shop to do it on the lift.
I have resolved to do it from under the car, wish me luck!

be good!
Curt

HwyCruiser
08-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Good luck Curt! It seems odd that the stock pump went T.U. while the car just sat there, but I guess it was sitting for awhile. Hopefully the Walboro pump will prime right up. Jack probably has loads of advice for you on the pump r&r.

kartherma
08-01-2007, 05:10 PM
well, I got the fuel pump replaced. it wasn't that hard really...I think my troubles previously centered around low lighting and a lack of sense of urgency.

Anyways, new pump and she runs famously!

Now I am off to the dealer tech tomorrow to see if i can solve my tune issues. I loaded an aftermarket tune many moons ago and now the stock tune must be corrupted or something. with any luck they can restore the "factory" tune good enough that the predator allows me to load the FIT program.

HwyCruiser
08-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Cool! One more hurdle to clear and you're golden.

Any of you SCT gurus out there know how to fix an xcal that's choking on returning the car to stock?

Bradley G
08-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Kudos, on replacing the fuel pump! Who said, "Fuel pump?" LOL Good Luck! on the tune! John, "Too Many Fords", had that issue, after his FIT install. Wasn't Dennis Rienharts' tune, was it?

kartherma
08-01-2007, 10:14 PM
this was the alternative auto tune. I am going in tomorrow morning to see the "master mechanic" at the ford dealer. He assures me he can reset it.
Now just gotta figure out how to talk him into letting me be there for it instead of in the lobby watching soap operas in spanish (gotta love Yuma)

Bradley G
08-02-2007, 07:27 AM
tell him you will stay out of his way. The shop might be strict, enforcing Insurance policies. Good luck, I know you want it bad, now!

kartherma
08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Update:
been in the shop and got the PCM reprogram. He not only let me in the back shop while he did it, he didnt even charge me for it.

I will follow up in another thread about tuning it with the FIT tune.