PDA

View Full Version : Night at the Dragstrip

Smokie
10-05-2002, 01:49 PM
Last night I went with 2 of my sons to Desoto Speedway in Fl. It was what you might call amateur night, you pay $8 to get in and you race whatever you got as many times as you like until it falls apart. My youngest raced his non-american 4 cylinder and won one of two races, he beat an old Mopar from the late sixties and I told him that maybe 4 of the guys cylinders were disconnected !!! Anyway I drove my MM. there also and the second I arrived, instant attention: the guy at the gate in his forties said " First MM. I ever seen except for the internet!! " he stopped traffic while checking out the car and then begged me to run it. Once inside the average age tooked a hell of it plunge maybe about 19-21 and I figured that would be the last look MM. would get. Wrong !!!!! a few of the youngsters did not know what it was but they sure liked it. After a while I got tired of locking and unlocking it so I just left the hood open and the doors and just stood by and answered questions like a proud papa. A few youngsters knew it was an MM. most thought I had some sort of police interceptor and wanted to know how I got my hands on it. No I did not run it !!! I don't feel it has reached it's peak yet and the 200 pounds of junk my wife has in the trunk organizer and a full tank of gas were not going to bring the best out of the MM. So I just left the youngsters wondering what this big, bad police cruiser could do to their rice burners !!! It was a great night !!! I will return !!! (BTW best time of the night was American power !!! Mustang 11.32 and Dodge 11.38)

Grand_Marquis
10-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Interesting. You must have had the time of life standing by your Marauder. :D Have you 'broken-in' to the engine yet?

Larry Vogel
10-05-2002, 09:17 PM
We had 4 New Marauders at one of our local cruises, They all got loads of attention paid to them, and the people that own em all seem to be like us guy's here, car guy's and gal's, nice people.

Smokie
10-06-2002, 05:14 AM
It was a lot fun. As far as is my MM. "broke in yet", not by my standards, it has 1800 miles on it. I'm doing the first oil change at 2000. I bought it with 11 miles on it and the difference in performance, MPG, exhaust sound and shifting pattern and stiffnes continues to noticeably improve. My personal opinion; this 32 valve engine don't hit it's prime until 3000-4000 miles. I know opinions may vary and there are guys that will race it right after the dealer hands them the keys. I'm a patient man.

Grand_Marquis
10-06-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Smokie
there are guys that will race it right after the dealer hands them the keys. I'm a patient man.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Who would do that with a $34k vehicle?!?! :confused: But I bet there are ppl who do that. :(

Logan
10-06-2002, 11:17 AM
I was on the track at about 800 miles... I guess I'm one of those people. :)

Seriously, you think a WOT romp for a quarter mile is going to hurt anything? Think about it, most of us do worse than that on the street...

I'm a big believer in breaking it in how it's going to be driven...But I admit, I DO TRY to take er easy up to 1000miles...

Larry Vogel
10-06-2002, 01:19 PM
There's nothing wrong with short high RPM run's whenever, when it is new, keeps the ridge edge up their on the cyl walls, if ya never run it that ridge can break an upper ring when you decide to.

Smokie
10-06-2002, 01:35 PM
Logan, Actually I agree with you; I could have ran and not hurt a thing. My youngest son was running that night and it was also his birthday, he ran well until clutch problem on third run. That night was about him not me or MM. That is why I didn't run.

BISHOPSS95
10-07-2002, 05:53 AM
Great! Now that you have that out of your system.

Race Me at SSHS2 :D

Smokie
10-07-2002, 07:08 AM
Bishop, that's a good one !!! , actually the one thing that I was hoping to see that night is a stock 95SS run. There weren't any stock or otherwise. There was a 69' Camaro SS running very strong, very low 13's and a new Vette running low 14's. 95% of the cars running were imports. very small, very loud and not very fast.

BISHOPSS95
10-07-2002, 07:22 AM
I will tell you that I am having a hard time finding a complete stock Impala SS. But I can tell you their will be some at the event. Or you can race Me!!!
I am close to stock. Give me a K&N, Headers and exaust and I will give you 100K in miles. I have done nothing internal, stock computer, stock 3.08 rear.

Come on, you know you realy want to..... Kick my A@@.

Thanks

:D

Smokie
10-07-2002, 09:31 AM
Bishop, You are ok!!! You know what; I don't have to go far to find an SS. One of my best friends has a 96' SS pure stock, black, 72k in immaculate condition. I don't think he would race me; or anybody for that matter, he loves that car like a child. (His wife wants him to sell it so she can get a new Mustang) I smell a divorce !!! hahaha.