PDA

View Full Version : Control Arms

Raudermaster
08-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I've been thinking about getting control arms, and Zack doesn't have any more of his (I think since he's no longer here anywa) so Metco is the only other option. How do they compare to Z&M arms? I noticed with Zacks they seem to be a tubular design, and the Metco's somewhat originate from the stock look. I'm assuming they look like stock, but they deliver excellent handling though. Thoughts?

fastblackmerc
08-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I prefer the Metcos.

They look good - bling factor.
They have poly bushings.
The bushing are greasable.
Easy install - don't have to beat out and reuse the stock bushings.

Flame suit on

Raudermaster
08-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Why do the Z&M's need to re-use the stock bushings?

bigmerc'03
08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
call dennis he sells both PHP control arms and metco control arms and both have polly bushings

fastblackmerc
08-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Why do the Z&M's need to re-use the stock bushings?

They aren't sold with bushings. You can't buy just the bushings from FoMoCo, you have to buy the entire control arm to get new bushings. Metco's come with new poly bushings.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-08-2007, 04:35 PM
I assume the Metco's don't change the suspension geometry at all, but are just a much more rigid version of a stock arm, to prevent lateral flexing?

94_302
08-08-2007, 04:42 PM
PHP does not list them on their site but if you call them they may have a few left.

fastblackmerc
08-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I assume the Metco's don't change the suspension geometry at all, but are just a much more rigid version of a stock arm, to prevent lateral flexing?

You Sir are correct!

I believe the Zack arms don't change the geometry either.

Marauderman
08-08-2007, 04:56 PM
You Sir are correct!

I believe the Zack arms don't change the geometry either.

Again.....Correct Sir--Those strong Arm beauties keep the MM locked to the ground the same way---I know--cause my MM wears 'um....whoops...

sicilianmarquis
08-08-2007, 05:41 PM
zack used stock bushings so u have stock comfortabillty, so it feels like a Merc, not a mazda

08-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah I would not use poly in a control arm application either, it does not twist like the stock bushings were designed to, rather it just slides, giving a harsher ride. I weld so I am just going to box in the stock ones. Poly also gets very "ratchety" when not fully lubricated.

Bradley G
08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I did two sets and a third set, sits on my bench, waiting for welding. You don't have to pound them out. A press works great and I'm sure they will survive better.
Yeah I would not use poly in a control arm application either, it does not twist like the stock bushings were designed to, rather it just slides, giving a harsher ride. I weld so I am just going to box in the stock ones. Poly also gets very "ratchety" when not fully lubricated.

08-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one. I have a press, I had to buy one to do gears, and I wonder how I lived without it.

Bradley G
08-08-2007, 08:18 PM
I got the Idea here, two years ago. I liked them so much I made a set for the LSE Too! I also boxed the Watts links for the Marauder. I drilled a slot, to retain the ride height control. Got a set of those, ready to weld too! I know you like that, Mr, "ride Height!" LOL

08-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Can I get Mr. Ride Height put under my name? It would be appropriate.

I really should be replacing the frame rails in my camaro w/ donor rails, if I'm welding anything. The control arms and watts links will have to wait a little bit. Thanks for the good ideas.

magindat
08-09-2007, 04:37 AM
PHP are boxed thick steel with Poly. I have them, I like them. I can't tell the difference between PHP and Metco while driving.

jawz101
08-09-2007, 04:38 AM
I like my PHP's. Plus they're less expensive than the alternatives.

Raudermaster
08-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Can I get Mr. Ride Height put under my name? It would be appropriate.

I really should be replacing the frame rails in my camaro w/ donor rails, if I'm welding anything. The control arms and watts links will have to wait a little bit. Thanks for the good ideas.

You can put that there yourself under your user preferences, I believe it is called User Title or something like that.

fastblackmerc
08-09-2007, 06:11 AM
PHP are boxed thick steel with Poly. I have them, I like them. I can't tell the difference between PHP and Metco while driving.

I don't think there is any noticeable difference using poly bushings vs stock bushings.

Loco1234
08-09-2007, 06:28 AM
I have heard the Z&M actually change the geometry of the rear from its stock postion. That they were designed to not only strengthen but also to roll the rear end forward a degree or 2. If i've heard correctly will allow the rear to bite the ground slightly better when launching off the line....
Which would give an extra incentive to using the Z&M control arms....

fastblackmerc
08-09-2007, 07:22 AM
I have heard the Z&M actually change the geometry of the rear from its stock postion. That they were designed to not only strengthen but also to roll the rear end forward a degree or 2. If i've heard correctly will allow the rear to bite the ground slightly better when launching off the line....

I don't think the Z&M control arms change the pinion angle at all. They are the same length as stock.

Raudermaster
08-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Well, I'd love a set of Z&M's, unfortunately Zack is no longer here, nor probably doesn't have any to begin with. I sent PHP an email, no response, looks like I'll end up with Metco's.

94_302
08-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Call PHP that is the best way to get in touch with them.

Richy04
08-09-2007, 09:33 AM
anyone have a phone number, email,website or address for PHP? Tnx Richy

KillJoy
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
In the beginning, there were two design of the Z&M Control Arms. Once was stock geometry, the other, improved goemetry.

Too much BS and debate caused the improved geometry to be discontinued.

The last run or 2 of the Z&M CA's are STOCK GEOMETRY. They reused you OEM Bushings for ride comfort.

I am sure, if there were enough interest, there would be another run on these CA's.

GOSH!

:D

KillJoy

KillJoy
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Call Rainhart. He is the vendor here who sells them.

KillJoy

Raudermaster
08-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Scratch the Metco's! I just got an email back from them, they have a few sets left, and I just bought one of them. Awesome, I can't wait to get them.

Loco1234
08-09-2007, 09:40 AM
I thaught the Z&M had an improved Geometry...
I have a set of those on my marauder...

I thaught I remeber hearing from Zack that they adjust the sngle of the rear for improved traction....(just slightly) more bite....

KillJoy
08-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I thaught the Z&M had an improved Geometry...
I have a set of those on my marauder...

I thaught I remeber hearing from Zack that they adjust the sngle of the rear for improved traction....(just slightly) more bite....

Once again...IN THE BEGINNING, there were two options. You might have a set from THAT run....

KillJoy

08-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Killjoy, thank you for setting the record straight here (Even if you have to repeat yourself to do it!)

94_302
08-09-2007, 10:17 AM

http://www.paulshp.com/

fastblackmerc
08-09-2007, 10:21 AM

I don't think the Z&M control arms change the pinion angle at all. They are the same length as stock.

08-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Are we really still going over this? Did anyone bother reading Killjoy's explanation? Guess not.

Maybe I need to turn the volume up for the hard o hearin?

In the beginning, there were two design of the Z&M Control Arms. Once was stock geometry, the other, improved goemetry.

Too much BS and debate caused the improved geometry to be discontinued.

Wow, that actually let me make it that big.

RCSignals
08-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Killjoy is right.

A search will bring it all up for anyone interested. The altered length arms actually moved the pinion angle closer to zero.

But it doesn't matter, since the arms made in the last couple of production runs have all been made stock length.

RF Overlord
08-09-2007, 10:54 AM
If anyone is still interested in the Z&M control arms, send Zack a PM...I don't know if he has any left from the last GB, but if so, I'm sure he'd be happy to sell them. I have them on both cars and they make a very noticeable improvement in cornering. The Blackbird has them along with the ADDCO sway bar upgrade (which I had done first) and I think the arms make a bigger difference. I'm not even going to bother with the sway bar upgrade on the Silver car...

08-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Maybe I should make adjustable arms so I could set my pinion angle, mmyyessss....

RCSignals
08-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Maybe I should make adjustable arms so I could set my pinion angle, mmyyessss....

That's been suggested before. Tubular steel adjustable CA exist for Mustangs. The '05 and newer Mustang tubular aftermarket arms look very much like the Z+M but i don't know the dimentions.

08-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I have a mig, so it wouldn't be hard to make something. I should go into production ... mm okay maybe not.

RCSignals
08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
or you could alter an set of Z+M arms

Zack
08-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Did someone say control arms?
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/4/0/4/DSC02845.JPG

08-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh no!! Welcome back.

Raudermaster
08-09-2007, 12:14 PM
It's good to have him back.

sabtaj1
08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
someone was just looking for a set of stockers! Now I know who is hoarding them up. LOL.

Richy04
08-09-2007, 02:12 PM
How much are the PHP control arms? Tnx Richy

Raudermaster
08-09-2007, 02:36 PM
PM sent Rich.

BLACKMARAUDER04
08-09-2007, 05:00 PM
The Z&m's Don't Need To Be Greesed. Thaty Is Why I Chose Them.

Zack
08-09-2007, 05:50 PM
The Z&m's Don't Need To Be Greesed. Thaty Is Why I Chose Them.

My company favors slightly more educated folks like yourself :D