PDA

View Full Version : Zymol Wax

Ross
07-14-2003, 12:54 PM
I tried Zymol wax this weekend, and have some good and bad things to say about it. All of this is IMHO, of course. Before anyone asks, I tried to make sure that I was doing all of the basics properly: car washed and dried thoroughly; soft, clean cotton towels for removing wax; car cool and parked in shade; etc.
Zymol is a liquid wax that has an oily type substance in it. (More on this later.) It goes on easily, and you can tell even before you buff it off that it is giving a deep, black shine. Taking it off is where the fun comes in. The oily substance is hard to remove. It's like a combination of the hazy residue that waxes usually leave before buffing mixed with an oil. I buffed and buffed, changing to clean towels frequently, and still had trouble picking up all of the oily residue. The instructions say to lightly mist the residue with water and buff, and that helped some, but still didn't get all of the oil off. The next day I went through some heavy rain, and that washed everything off. Another washing and the car looks good, but that oily residue is new to me, and I think I will stay away from using this stuff until I can figure out how to get a clean finish afterwards. I'm looking for a one step wax that doesn't require the 3 step process that some of you more dedicated waxers use! Way back in the old days, I used to really like Rain Dance wax, but I haven't seen that in many years.

WolfeBros
07-14-2003, 01:07 PM
I would say one word. ZAINO
www.zainobros.com

Granted the first application can be time consuming but after that it is the easiest finish I have ever seen to maintain.

Now just like super chargers, motor oils and beer.......there is more than one right answer to his question. Zaino was it for me. Others will have the solution that worked for them. Pick one you like and go with it. Good luck.

TAF
07-14-2003, 01:11 PM
^^^What Sam said.

You know, I understand different preferences...I guess what I don't understand is I've yet to see anyone post here that doesn't RAVE about Zaino...yet some keep trying other things.
No direct offense to your post in particular...I just find it peculiar that with ALL the endorsements (unsolicited, I might add) that you can read here on Zaino...why even try anything else?

I learned about Zaino here...and will never switch after the experiance I've had with it.

Ross
07-14-2003, 01:18 PM
No question that Zaino has a lot of dedicated fans on this site. If I was a young buck in my prime waxing his car, I might go that way. But as I understand it, Zaino is a multi step process, and with a huge car like a MM, I could spend an entire Saturday doing all the steps. Since the finish is still new and doesn't need a lot of cleaning, polishing, etc., I figure there has to be a good one step wax that will keep it looking good with regular use.

Slowpoke
07-14-2003, 01:22 PM
half the fun of waxing a car is waxing the car. Like going to a baseball game. The fun isn't in actually watching the game to see who wins, it's sitting in the sun with some friends and enjoying the outdoors.

Waxing a car is therapuetic (my own car gives me enough therapy, thank you...)

I like the Zaino products and Zaino my car whenever I have the time. It's relaxing and fun to do. The priducts are amazing and work in concert with each other to produce a perfect exterior.

Dr Caleb
07-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by WolfeBros

Now just like super chargers, motor oils and beer.......there is more than one right answer to his question.

No there isn't. The only answer is "YES" :lol:

Originally posted by TAF

I learned about Zaino here...and will never switch after the experiance I've had with it.

I have yet to try Zaino, but I have tried Zymol, and I like it. I've always used Maguires on all my black cars, but like to add Zymol once in a while.

I don't know if you're going to find a clearcoat safe 1 step process Ross. Like the Simonize process of yesteryear that took 2 or 3 strong lads all day to do, and could deflect bullets, paint just isn't the same anymore.

I think all you may find is those "wax as you dry" products, and I don't know if I'd trust them. YMMV.

WolfeBros
07-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Ross I think you may have a misconception about Zaino.
It is easy to use, no hard buffing, polishing ect.......
It wipes on. Dries, wipes off with a cotton towel. Leaves no dust, residue or streaks. Subsequent applications take minutes not hours. I am betting that you put more time in trying to get that Zymol to work than it would have taken to do the Zaino. It was also recommended to me here. And at 51 I have waxed my share of cars. This stuff is easy, it works and it looks great. I understand you asking the question. I don't understand you shooting down the answer. But thats ok. You asked and that is what we are here for. Again good luck.

I saw RainDance advertised in last months Car&Driver for what its worth.

Ross
07-14-2003, 01:45 PM
I hope I didn't appear to be shooting down anyone's answer. I asked for info, and that's what I'm getting. Having never used Zaino, but seeing a number of posts about the multi step process, I figured it must be like the old stuff where each step means hard rubbing into the finish, and then hard buffing to get it off. If that's what it is, then it's just too much work for my sense of fun. From your post, though, it sounds like I was misinformed, and each step is actually an easy on, easy off step. If that is the case, then I might become a Zaino fan, too. Believe me, I've gotten too much good advice from this board to shoot down anyone's answer. Sorry if my post was taken wrong by anyone. I'll buy the next round.:beer:

tomd
07-14-2003, 01:55 PM
I also just picked up some “Zymol” Cleaner wax swirl remover. The oily stuff you’re taking about also got me REALLY TICKED off!!! :mad2: I decided to try a WET cool towel instead of a spray water bottle going over the part (2’x2’ area) I had waxed, I then dried it using a clean towel, doing this did removed the oily look. It also made it VERY EASY for me and I was smiling again!

I have used ZAINO wax (Z5 & Z2) on my Marauder and it is great but it does not last more then 3 to 5 Automatic car washes and the swirl marks start to reappear. That’s why am NOW trying Zymol am looking for something that will last after going to the car wash or will rub out those stinking swirl marks.

duhtroll
07-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Way back when, I got some armor all teflon wax for a car I bought with that wax / care package (they were cheaper then and though I hated the $500 cost it was worth every penny) and every time I sent in an empty bottle of the stuff they sent me a full one. I had enough to do my wife's cars, too. Two cars later and I am finally no longer able to take advantage of that. Dangit. (they figured out I am no longer driving my 95 dodge)

Anyway, the armor all teflon coating is AWESOME. The only thing I did not like was the white residue I had to wipe off after a few hours (powderlike) once it was totally dry. Also, if one was not careful and got the wax on black plastic textured surfaces, it was hard to remove.

This stuff lasted 6 months or more, especially if I did 2 or 3 good coats. Beautiful shine and kept the paint nice and bright as well as beading water 6 months after I waxed it. I am the type that washes the car with every fill-up in the winter, and about every two weeks in the summer.

Drove through a construction zone and got hot tar on the doors and fenders. No problem, it wiped off easily 2 hours later when I stopped for gas.

True story - I was hauling around some kids for our service learning day. We were painting fire hydrants around the small town where I teach. The next day I found some green hydrant paint on the passenger door of my silver car. After several expletives :mad2: I went inside, got a clean dry rag, and wiped the paint off with very little effort.

I had enough to put a couple coats on the new MM and still love it - gonna have to search out there I can get more. Too bad I will actually have to PAY for it from now on.

Anyway, that's my $500, er $0.02.

-A

TAF
07-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Ross
I hope I didn't appear to be shooting down anyone's answer.

Ross,

Believe me, I didn't take it that way. And maybe I wasn't clear with my post. I just don't understand why anyone would even try anything else with the scores of recommendations here for the Zaino product. It's kinda like if you were going to put a chip in your car, why would you do anything other than a Reinhart chip?

And, yes...you are misinformed if you think the Zaino treatment is an ongoing, regular, long process. The first time, yes...it is a LOT of work. Here it is:
1) wash and dry car with Dawn dishwashing detergent
2) Clay bar the entire surface using z-6 spray or a little, capfull of Zaino wash and water in a spray bottle for a lubricant.
3) Do the entire car in circular motions with the Z-5 to remove any swirl-marks (this step only if you have them, and I bet you do...we all did), let dry and buff off.
4) Do the entire carwith Z-2 (with the drops of ZFX added as the activator) let dry and remove
5) Spray and wipe with Z-6 Gloss Enhancer
6) Repeat step 4 & 5 2 more times.

When I did this last year on Labor Day, it was a total of about 7 hours work from start to finish. I was sceptical, as well. But...that was the ONLY time I've ever done it. Since then, about once a month, I just wash with the Zaino wash (1/2 hour) and dry (45 minutes) and I'll park my car next to anyones and "out-shine" them.

And I would never run my car through an automatic wash with the brushes...but I have run through the 'touchless" kind with no ill effects.

No flame intended directly at you, Ross. You're searching for the best way to keep your car looking good? Well...it's Zaino.

jgc61sr2002
07-14-2003, 08:03 PM
What Todd said. ^^^^:D

schuvwj
07-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Ross
Zymol is a liquid wax that has an oily type substance in it.

The only way I get the oily substance off is with a wet paper towel about an hour after I done waxing.
However this wax lasts for a long time!

Dr Caleb
07-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by schuvwj
The only way I get the oily substance off is with a wet paper towel about an hour after I done waxing.
However this wax lasts for a long time!

A what? :baaa:

You are rubbing your car with a TREE! :uzi:

schuvwj
07-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Dr Caleb
A what? :baaa:

You are rubbing your car with a TREE! :uzi:

Yes a wet one!

Patrick
07-17-2003, 02:32 AM
I havent tried Zanio yet. Butt I still like Eagle One!!! Not wax as you dry but thier wipe as you shine after washing. Then use use thier regular liqiud wax one a month and you should be happy!!! Just my 2 Cents!

Todd check your PM.

Patrick