PDA

View Full Version : Removing SS Inserts

martyo
08-26-2007, 04:15 PM
I have SS Inserts on my Cobra. They are the stainless ones.

I want to remove them.

How can this be done without damaging the bumper?

BAD MERC
08-26-2007, 04:40 PM
You may need heat and some gentle prying with a plastic pry tool. If you can get some adhesive remover behind there that would greatly assist. Or just get someone to rear-end you, but not a mexican - they don't have insurance. Ever.

Bradley G
08-26-2007, 04:45 PM
fish line 30#, I took the rear badge off with it.

jgc61sr2002
08-26-2007, 04:49 PM
You may need heat and some gentle prying with a plastic pry tool. If you can get some adhesive remover behind there that would greatly assist. Or just get someone to rear-end you, but not a mexican - they don't have insurance. Ever.

Use a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the adhesive.

rvaldez1
08-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Lets not make it racial, I take much offense to that statement.

martyo
08-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys.

I want someone who has actually done the removal to post up. I don't want to hack up a brand new bumper! :D

rvaldez1
08-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys.

I want someone who has actually done the removal to post up. I don't want to hack up a brand new bumper! :D

I would think it is very difficult to get behind the letters given the indentation to the bumper, good luck.

Mills Marauder
08-26-2007, 06:14 PM
use a heat gun it softens the double sided tape. they will come right off. i just painted john neros car a few months ago and had to replace them. don't get the paint super hot it can cause damage.good luck

barry
08-26-2007, 06:21 PM
First you put in the sun an hour or so, then heat up with a hair dryer. Pull a piece of fishing line behind it while hot and soft. Get some adhesive remover and clean it up. DONE. Maybe you should try our new titanium black inserts.
Barry
SS INSERTS

BAD MERC
08-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Easy big fella... just speaking from experience. I drive a wrecker on weekends and see it first-hand.

martyo
08-26-2007, 06:56 PM
First you put in the sun an hour or so, then heat up with a hair dryer. Pull a piece of fishing line behind it while hot and soft. Get some adhesive remover and clean it up. DONE. Maybe you should try our new titanium black inserts.
Barry
SS INSERTS

Thanks Barry!

That is what I was thinking and those were what I wanted to try! Do you have any pictures of what they look like on a Cobra?

I have the SS ones on my Marauder and bought a set for a friend for his as well.

The Cobra I bought came with them, but they are a bit flashy for me (the letters on a Cobra are much thicker than they are on a Marauder, for those that don't know).

Thanks again Barry.

barry
08-26-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't have any good ones yet, we just introduced them. We should have some soon, as they are selling well.

sabtaj1
08-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I wonder how the new black tia finish would look on a black car? wouldnt pop out as much as the polished. I like the stealthy look.

martyo
08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I wonder how the new black tia finish would look on a black car? wouldnt pop out as much as the polished. I like the stealthy look.

That's what I am thinking too.

martyo
08-26-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't have any good ones yet, we just introduced them. We should have some soon, as they are selling well.

Barry do you have a sample of the material I can see in the meantime?

barry
08-27-2007, 06:30 AM
http://www.ssinserts.com/index.php?main_page=product_in fo&cPath=289&products_id=937

Here are samples

magindat
08-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Marty, use denatured alcohol and a TERRY CLOTH rag to remove the adhesive. The denat can also be put in a squirt bottle to be drizzled behind the letter once you get them started to further soften the adhesive.

Denat WILL remove wax, but will NOT harm the clear coat.

barry
08-27-2007, 07:28 AM
http://www.ssinserts.com/index.php?main_page=product_in fo&cPath=289&products_id=937

They are a smokey gray look

Barry

Raudermaster
08-27-2007, 06:14 PM
They're only black? I don't know how black would look on a black MM. Do you plan on producing more colors?

Richy04
09-01-2007, 12:29 PM

I thought it was rather funny.. A quick pointer, You will make it easier thru life by growing a thick skin and you will appear to be more of a man for it.

I think Carlos Mencia had more to say than the poster, begin by writing letters to him, Cheech and Chong and the others who do a much better job of putting down Latinos for a profit I might add.

Now me personally, I would like to see better pictures of the inserts as I cant gauge how they look from the current pictures, which is why I am looking at this thread..

Glenn
09-01-2007, 06:33 PM
$104.00 for SS black inserts - that's crazy!

Glenn

Bradley G
09-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Who said fish line? Hack away!!
Thanks guys.

airborne_mp84
09-05-2007, 05:58 PM
does anyone have any pics of the new blk titanium inserts?

Blackmobile
10-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys.

I just removed a set from another member's MM before it goes to the body shop. I used a very fine screw driver to pry the letters out just a little bit to expose the 3M tape. Then I used another fine tip screw driver to slowly separate the letter from the bumper by picking out the tape inbetween. Just make sure to pry the letters out just enough not to bend them, and in about a half hour or so, they were out. All that needs to be done now is to remove the excess tape and glue from the backside of the letters. The fact that they are SS is in your favor.

ED

magindat
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Soak 'em in acetone, Ed. An old toothbrush will get the junk right off after a short soak.

Hotrauder
10-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Rather than screw with all that I just placed the Gold right on top of the Stainless after using the denatured alcohol. Barry recommended not to do it but they have been on for over a year with absolutely no problem and no one knows the difference. Dennis

merc6
10-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I have the old reflective black ones. Only can tell at night or when sun hits them just right.