PDA

View Full Version : JLT intake

SWOOSH
09-10-2007, 03:14 PM
As some of you know, I completed my first mod on my Marauder (Gears and Tune are next). Anywho, when I lifted the hood the other day, I noticed to things, the elbow on the JLT air intake was rubbing and the place it was rubbing was my hood, now I have a hole in my hood from the rubbing. I am told that it is a bad install. Has anyone else experienced this bad install I speak of, or is it a problem with the product. Hopefully it is the install, because if it is a product, maybe my mods should cease. This is my second bad experience with modding my Marauder; the first was waiting almost a month for rotors (which I didn't even want anymore, because that was way too long to wait for some fancy smancy rotors). Please advise! :help:

fastblackmerc
09-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Just rotate the elbow down and re-clamp it. Make sure the clamp "nut" is not on top of the elbow.

SWOOSH
09-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Okay, thanks, I'll give it a try.

gmtech
09-10-2007, 04:03 PM
i thought it even said it on the JLT website?...mine rubbed a small hole ....doesnt bother me cause i love the sound:banana2:

ctrlraven
09-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah I from what I know it was something that could happen but nothing to really be worried about. I know I haven't been about it, just cut a small section of the hood liner out and glued up some a piece of thick leather and all is good.

I was just talking with Brian "SILVERSURFER03" about it earlier today.

VAmarauder03
09-11-2007, 04:38 AM
You guys mean to tell me theres a hole in your hood ?!?!??!

magindat
09-11-2007, 04:49 AM
You guys mean to tell me theres a hole in your hood ?!?!??!

Yeah, cuz a piece of rubber hose chaffed so badly it wore right through the metal!!! :rolleyes:

Two things. One, rotate the throttle body hose down so the whole thing points more down on an angle. Second, bend a small length of aluminum to reach from the stock airbox mount to the MAF adapter to hold the thing still.

And no, there's not a hole in the hood. It's the hood LINER!!!!

I have a small wear spot in mine as well. I don't care. It's worth it!!!

Pat
09-11-2007, 04:55 AM
The hood insulation liner is what he's referring too I believe.

Mine has done the same thing and I've haven't decided what to do yet.

The problem seems to be that there is a ridge in the metal hood where the insulation liner come in contact with the intake and that's causing a wear spot. I'm thinking of blending that section of the ridge before I buy the Motorspots Marauder hood liner.

For Magindat:

I fabricated the bracket you suggest but for a different reason, however it didn't help the hood liner wear on my car.

Others may have different results

fastblackmerc
09-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Two things. One, rotate the throttle body hose down so the whole thing points more down on an angle. Second, bend a small length of aluminum to reach from the stock airbox mount to the MAF adapter to hold the thing still.

I have a small wear spot in mine as well. I don't care. It's worth it!!!

What Rich said ^^^^^^^!

LordVader
09-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Is this something that JLT has addressed in the past. Just wondering, as this and the XCAL 2 will be my first mods around the end of the year.

VAmarauder03
09-11-2007, 10:24 AM
oh i dont mind the hood liner, i thought you ment the hood lol

ctrlraven
09-11-2007, 10:34 AM
If it keeps doing it I'm going to take a body shop flat tip hammer and bang in the ridge part on the hood that sticks out where the intake hits. I bet after that it won't do it anymore lol.

magindat
09-11-2007, 10:42 AM
I put a large (1-1/4") felt furniture bumper on mine.