PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mild J-MOD with Lidio tune complete. 1-2 still too soft.

fastcar
09-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey gang,

Objective: To improve 1-2 shift under WOT on a car with line pressure maxed out via an SCT tune (Lidio's), without unnecessary harshness during part throttle using transmission modifications only (no computer re-tuning).

It has been stated by some members that the full J-MOD plus a tune that gives maximum line pressure on the 1-2 shift results in an overly harsh, obnoxious shift during light or part throttle.

I have Lidio's tune, and was not satisfied with the 1-2 shift, though he turns up line pressure as high as possible.

I completed the J-MOD as specified in the popular paper circulated here by CRUZTAKER, WITHOUT removing the accumulator springs (for fear of too much harshness at part throttle). Plus, I opened #10 (reverse) a bit, to 5/64 (.078) per Jerry's TCCOA directions (mild setting).

Well, it's done (thanks Zack, Darrin, Sabtaj1 for input) and here are the results in reverse order of inportance:

1. I don't notice any difference in the speed in which reverse engages. 5/64 is too little to notice.

2. 2-3 shift is pretty good. I was reasonably satisfied as it was, but like it even better.

3. 1-2 shift hits a LITTLE bit harder, but not nearly as hard as I would like. I'd say that it is about 30% harder, but I need like 100-200% firmer at WOT. I am really disappointed.

So, perhaps tomorrow, I will try again...

Darrin had stated that the spring was the primary factor in how hard it hits. It seems that my experience confirms his statement.

Sabtaj1 stated that he has a tune (though not Lidio's) and still he loves the way it shifts, even without the springs.

So, I think I will remove the lower 1-2 spring, and remove the 2-3 spring tomorrow, and see how it goes. I hope that it will not hit too hard at part throttle, I'm still a little worried about that...

Question: is there a bottom spring that is softer than stock, in case no spring at all is too much?

The only other option is to open the #2 hole to .125, but based on my first results, I doubt that will be worth anything.

I'll keep everyone posted,

fastcar:burnout:

fastblackmerc
09-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Great 411!! Keep us posted. I'll be doing this to my '04.

sabtaj1
09-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Good write up! I am glad you went through with it. And you thought it was gonna be too hard but yet your dissapointed that its not hard enough?? I was going through my paperwork from when I did the J-mod to mine, I did however open my holes a little larger do to haveing the 3500 stall. Per the link that Zack sent you. I think 2,4 & 5 were .125 and 9,11 were .109
I didnt do hole 10 didnt feel the need for it. To bad you have to tkae the pan off again. I ended up just taking the springs out the first time since it was apart. Since you can always put them back in if you dont like it. I glad you went for it! Wish you were more happy with it, be sure to post your findings with the springs removed! I am interested!!!

fastcar
09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Sab,

Yeah, I'm a little bummed about going in again, and wish I had done as you said the first time. However, there is the good chance that with Lidio's tune I may have shifts that are too hard at part throttle. If this happens, it looks like I will not be able to get around learning how to change SCT computer tune settings...

Marauderjack
09-11-2007, 03:39 AM
There is a good chance that the "soft" 1-2 shift at WOT is actually due to a little wheel spin.....mine is VERY soft at WOT because of spin but hard at part throttle!!!:bows:

My $.02??:cool:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Richy04
09-11-2007, 04:04 AM
I love the 1-2 shift in the Lidio tune.. I know it isnt earth shattering but the ass of the car kinda lurches at part throttle as it hammers into 2nd.. Its pretty cool.. Better than that buttery "leave it to Beaver" shift with the Lincoln Merc tune..

Smokie
09-11-2007, 04:21 AM
I've had a soft 1-2 shift at WOT (not wheelspin) since I went S/C'ed, before (while N/A) my 1-2 would bark tires with a head-snapping shift at WOT.

Here are my attempts to correct problem:

Made contact with Lidio, described problem and purchased from him his recommended 1-2 accumulator spring and washer kit that was expertly installed under Carfixers supervision by a master tranny mechanic while Lidio was on the phone to make sure it was installed correctly.

Results: No change in 1-2 shift, remains soft at WOT.

Next while Lidio was in Florida we hooked up and Lidio kindly agreed to check my car out at no charge and while driving my car tested all relevent parameters with his laptop, my tune is flawles and the car runs great, but my line pressure IS maxed out and my 1-2 at WOT remains a dissapointment.

In conclussion I had done all possible with tuning and 1-2 spring kit to no avail. I remain envious of those folks that report a head snapping, tire melting 1-2 shif at WOT.

As a footnote I would like to add that my car does not dissapoint me I have been able to accomplish numbers at the track and the dyno that clearly indicate that my car (not me) is clearly above the curve in performance when total mods are compared.

fastcar
09-11-2007, 05:15 AM
There is a good chance that the "soft" 1-2 shift at WOT is actually due to a little wheel spin.....mine is VERY soft at WOT because of spin but hard at part throttle!!!:bows:

My $.02??:cool:

Marauderjack:burnout:

You're Supercharged!

fastcar
09-11-2007, 05:16 AM
I love the 1-2 shift in the Lidio tune.. I know it isnt earth shattering but the ass of the car kinda lurches at part throttle as it hammers into 2nd.. Its pretty cool.. Better than that buttery "leave it to Beaver" shift with the Lincoln Merc tune..

My Lidio tune NEVER hit hard at part throttle. Very smooth, which I liked. At WOT it hits a bit firmer, but just nothing like what a yahoo like me desires.

fastcar
09-11-2007, 05:19 AM
I've had a soft 1-2 shift at WOT (not wheelspin) since I went S/C'ed, before (while N/A) my 1-2 would bark tires with a head-snapping shift at WOT.

Here are my attempts to correct problem:

Made contact with Lidio, described problem and purchased from him his recommended 1-2 accumulator spring and washer kit that was expertly installed under Carfixers supervision by a master tranny mechanic while Lidio was on the phone to make sure it was installed correctly.

Results: No change in 1-2 shift, remains soft at WOT.

Next while Lidio was in Florida we hooked up and Lidio kindly agreed to check my car out at no charge and while driving my car tested all relevent parameters with his laptop, my tune is flawles and the car runs great, but my line pressure IS maxed out and my 1-2 at WOT remains a dissapointment.

In conclussion I had done all possible with tuning and 1-2 spring kit to no avail. I remain envious of those folks that report a head snapping, tire melting 1-2 shif at WOT.

As a footnote I would like to add that my car does not dissapoint me I have been able to accomplish numbers at the track and the dyno that clearly indicate that my car (not me) is clearly above the curve in performance when total mods are compared.

Thanks, Smokie. Very interesting story. My car is NA, so, unless my tranny is toast, I should be able to get that head snapping shift. BTW, how did you get that shift in the old days, before you went SC? Thanks,

Zack
09-11-2007, 05:24 AM
You did the Jmod and didnt remove the springs?
What was the point?
All part throttle firmness or lack of can be adjusted via computer tuning.

fastcar
09-11-2007, 05:32 AM
You did the Jmod and didnt remove the springs?
What was the point?
All part throttle firmness or lack of can be adjusted via computer tuning.

Hey Zack. I've read many threads where folks did the j-mod and either re-installed the springs, or never removed them because of part throttle harshness. So, this was my approach.

I have Lidio's tune. How would you go about adjusting it??? Any ideas, folks??? My SCT xcal2 does not let me modify the code, as far as I know...

KillJoy
Zack did the ValveBody work on my Trans. When I got it back, I did not like the 1-2 shift under light throttle. It was too hard. I then had my Tune modified a wee bit (Trans Pressure), and now things are all good.

:up:

KillJoy

Smokie
Thanks, Smokie. Very interesting story. My car is NA, so, unless my tranny is toast, I should be able to get that head snapping shift. BTW, how did you get that shift in the old days, before you went SC? Thanks,

In 2003 I purchased the tune from Dennis Reinhart, he personally loaded it into my PCM, no chip, no handheld tuner...just software.

It took an otherwise bonestock MM. to consistent mid 14's and a head snapping 1-2 at WOT, very good manners at partial throttle, the complete details are in some very old posts and some is in the "my garage" link below.

fastcar
09-11-2007, 05:34 AM
Zack did the ValveBody work on my Trans. When I got it back, I did not like the 1-2 shift under light throttle. It was too hard. I then had my Tune modified a wee bit (Trans Pressure), and now things are all good.

KillJoy

Thanks KillJoy. It would be wonderful if SOMEONE were to elaborate on how they ACTUALLY CHANGE THE TUNE! I see no way of doing it. Is more hardware required? Can you change another person's tune (mine is Lidio's)? Is there a detailed thread or website on how to do this?

Zack
09-11-2007, 05:35 AM
If anyone has a lidio tune on disk, I can make changes for anyone one, free.

Anytime, as much as you want.

fastcar
09-11-2007, 05:40 AM
If anyone has a lidio tune on disk, I can make changes for anyone one, free.

Anytime, as much as you want.

Wow. That sounds awesome. Totally awesome. I really appreciate that, man. Hold on, I'm going to dance :banana2:

One question: How do I get the tune off my xcal2, and on to disk??? I wish I had known this before, I would have maxed out my J-MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KillJoy
09-11-2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks KillJoy. It would be wonderful if SOMEONE were to elaborate on how they ACTUALLY CHANGE THE TUNE! I see no way of doing it. Is more hardware required? Can you change another person's tune (mine is Lidio's)? Is there a detailed thread or website on how to do this?

Ask Zack.... he did mine ;)

KillJoy

Zack
09-11-2007, 06:45 AM
You cant pull the tune from the xcal, but if someone has an xtr or ll3 file from lidio, I can read it and make changes.

ckadiddle
09-11-2007, 11:28 AM
In 2003 I purchased the tune from Dennis Reinhart, he personally loaded it into my PCM, no chip, no handheld tuner...just software.

It took an otherwise bonestock MM. to consistent mid 14's and a head snapping 1-2 at WOT, very good manners at partial throttle, the complete details are in some very old posts and some is in the "my garage" link below.
I have the same experience with xcal2 purchased from Reinhart. Have had it mebbe a couple years now and still the WOT 1-2 shift will bark/spin tires depending on tire/road condition. I am running KDW2 255/55s on the rear. However, only 44000 miles on the Marauder so far. Maybe your tranny is just kinda tired?

Darrin
09-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I offer a spring setup that is a little more agressive for the 1-2. That 2-3 will jump with full line pressure and no spring, but thats the only chlice right now.

Darrin