PDA

View Full Version : Cold Supercharger driving.

Aren Jay
09-11-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm looking for a cold weather supercharged update for my Marauder. It will need to be used daily at cold temperatures -30 or -40. Some said a Trilogy supercharger would be best for these circumstance. Would it?

Which kits would that apply to?

Thank you

D1 CC

2ndMDRebel
09-11-2007, 08:38 PM
This was brought up earlier this year. When it gets real cold I'll just leave the CV parked and take the Montero... dang sure aint riding the Harley... and the wife never lets me drive her Marauder. :mad2:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33239

Marauderjack
09-12-2007, 03:37 AM
The blower is nothing but a gear driven fan that is far less complex than your engine!!:rolleyes:

I don't know about the other blowers but PC uses a "Zero Weight" synthetic oil that flows very well....even in sub-zero temps.....just take it easy until the engine warms up!!:beer:

Compressing air generates heat and engines love cold, dry air......so what could be the problem here??:confused: When the blower is in bypass it still generates heat and will warm the oil even when not in boost!!:beer:

Many piston engine aircraft used super chargers in much colder environments than you describe and survived.....and I'll bet some of the automotive technology came from aircraft??:rolleyes:

Drive it but don't jump on it until warm......I'd worry more about the engine than the blower!!:eek:

Marauderjack:burnout:

SOHCman
09-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Many manufacturers will void your warranty if driven below a certain temperature (like 25 degrees). I'm sure there is an easy way to tell from the pieces left over.

Even when warm I hear it can cause failure of the blower.

Not sure of the details, but someone can probably find a link to the official reason.

I don't think turbos have the same problem, as the exhaust gasses keep the unit nice and toasty.

SOHC

markZ
09-15-2007, 02:22 PM
The only problem you will see with a roots blower is higher boost levels, so if you are tuned to the limits (i.e. lean on fuel and timing is advanced)in warm weather you may run hot or have detenation in cold temps. Colder air has higher density that equals more air the blower will push in the cylinder. I am sure this is the same for any forced air power adder, if I were you and wanting to boost your marauder I would let it sit and buy a beater for the winter especialy with temps that cold.

Aren Jay
10-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Paxton and Vortec both say due to clearance issues in their superchargers not to use them when the engine is cold below 20F. Once the engine is warm it is ok and if you can keep it warm, plugging it in or using a heat blanket it is fine, but I can't always do that.

I was just wondering if a Trilogy or a twin screw super charger would have the clearances so that cold weather starts are possible, then baby it to operating temperature and then use normally. When it is cold all engines get babied till they are warm anyway and if it is very cold it is icy so there would be no blast offs etc...

I asked Wipple if they have any cold use problems and they said they do not.

Do Trilogy Super Chargers have any cold weather sitting and cold starting problems?

As for the cold air, I'm sure that a Cold weather tune could be made to take into account the denser air. Besides which it wouldn't need loads of power until it stops freezing.

I do want a 4-500 BHP Marauder, I just don't want something I can only use 3 months a year.

KillJoy
10-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Paxton and Vortec both say due to clearance issues in their superchargers not to use them when the engine is cold below 20F. Once the engine is warm it is ok and if you can keep it warm, plugging it in or using a heat blanket it is fine, but I can't always do that.

I was just wondering if a Trilogy or a twin screw super charger would have the clearances so that cold weather starts are possible, then baby it to operating temperature and then use normally. When it is cold all engines get babied till they are warm anyway and if it is very cold it is icy so there would be no blast offs etc...

I asked Wipple if they have any cold use problems and they said they do not.

Do Trilogy Super Chargers have any cold weather sitting and cold starting problems?

As for the cold air, I'm sure that a Cold weather tune could be made to take into account the denser air. Besides which it wouldn't need loads of power until it stops freezing.

I do want a 4-500 BHP Marauder, I just don't want something I can only use 3 months a year.

Why not contact Trilogy and ask Jerry Barnes? If it doesn't come from his mouth, IMO, it is just hear-say

1 (313) 582 7101

:up:

KillJoy

Aren Jay
10-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Do you have an email address for him that works?

The posted one on Trilogy Motorsports does not work.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at proxy.trilogyintl.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<jbarnes@trilogyintl.com (jbarnes@trilogyintl.com)>:
Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

jdando
10-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Here is my experience with Trilogy kit #0098.

It has been through two Minnesota winters as my daily driver. It has always started! It sat at the airport for a week in -10F weather and started up okay.

The Eaton supercharger is the same "Roots design" that is used on 1000's of S/C cars from Ford and GM.

Yes -30C is extreme, but I think the Trilogy kit would be fine up there in the Great White North.

jeremy

Bradley G
10-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Two Chicago winters with the Trilogy as a daily driver.
One day it did fail to start @ -8* a few hours later it did start.
Never a problem before or since.
I did not want to go in to work that early, anyway.

Aren Jay
10-20-2007, 09:55 PM
So it sounds like I'm going to have to trilogize myself.

Bradley G
10-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Might want to consider doing the car, 2 :P

RCSignals
10-21-2007, 05:42 PM

As Bradley suggests, do the car first.
Then decide if two more of you is really what you want :D

Aren Jay
10-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Now if I meet the right person a little more seriously, two more of me running around would be just fine.