PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler placement?

Aren Jay
09-13-2007, 01:15 AM

fastblackmerc
09-13-2007, 03:03 AM
I may not know what I'm talking about but on the FIT website Gallery Corporal Tims' Marauder; has an intercooler down at the bottom.

In snowy climates would this not get plugged up with snow?

Could said intercooler be mounted on top of the engine like the intercoolers on Turbo charged Subaru's?

I realize the hood would require a scoop and cutout but could this be done?

Anything is possible given enough time and $'s.

Marauderjack
09-13-2007, 03:26 AM
Mine is behind the grill....you have either option!!:beer:

I figured the lower mount would get boogered up from parking lot stops and stones from the road??:mad2:

Marauderjack:burnout:

magindat
09-13-2007, 04:51 AM
I have both installed an FIT kit and ordered mine with the IC behind the grille/bumper.

Aren Jay
09-13-2007, 01:05 PM

Breadfan
09-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Wouldn't frozen water cool the air just as well as cool air? Maybe even better? Would be like soaking the IC in ice water.

Anyway it'd melt if it got too hot. :)

Salt, sand, dirt, and other winter road grime don't melt though...

That being said, if the IC's efficiency is compromised, it will affect the temp of the air charge going to the motor. If it gets hotter you may experience issues such as detonation due to the warmer air charge if the IC is not functioning properly.

Joe Walsh
09-13-2007, 01:35 PM
If the intercooler does get plugged up with snow and ice would this cause problems for the Supercharger?

This exact subject has been discussed before...do a search for the thread.

Wouldn't frozen water cool the air just as well as cool air? Maybe even better? Would be like soaking the IC in ice water.

Anyway it'd melt if it got too hot. :)

Salt, sand, dirt, and other winter road grime don't melt though...

That being said, if the IC's efficiency is compromised, it will affect the temp of the air charge going to the motor. If it gets hotter you may experience issues such as detonation due to the warmer air charge if the IC is not functioning properly.

Mike, this is what I thought and posted about in the old thread.

Aren Jay
09-13-2007, 01:41 PM

Joe Walsh
09-13-2007, 01:48 PM
"Procharger Kit Photos" is the thread where the F.I.T. intercooler placement is discussed.

Aren Jay
09-13-2007, 01:59 PM
.............................. .......

Joe Walsh
09-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the link does answer most of my questions.

I do remember hearing about someone mounting the intercooler at the back of the car, has this been explored?

I can't say I've ever seen this done, as any intercooler needs an adequate supply of fresh, cool air moving over it.

Unless you use a water-to-air intercooler with an ice reservoir in the trunk...though that's strictly for drag racing.

Aren Jay
09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
.............................. ..... (http://www.ststurbo.com/home)

HwyCruiser
09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
A turbo is exhaust driven whereas a supercharger is belt driven. I've seen a rear twin turbo setup up close on an import with the intercoolers located aft of the rear wheel wells. I guess you could do a rear twin turbo on a Marauder too, but it's the wrong power adder for this forum.

The mounting options for the ProCharger air-to-air intercooler that comes with the FIT kit is pretty much limited to the area in front of the radiator. I located mine in between the conventional vertical and horizontal mounting positions and is not very noticeable from the front or sides. Airflow is directed through the intercooler via a scoop located right behind the lower air dams. See attached pic.. if it weren't for the "lower grill mod" screening you could see the intercooler through the two inner air dams.