PDA

View Full Version : 2007 modding season - meth

snowbird
09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi,

Here’s a few informations about my 2007 enhancement season. It started early in spring with Mosers GB 31T axles, girdle and Auburn 31T change that I already posted about.

METH:

The next step was to repair my methanol kit as the second pump seized for unknown reasons. This time, I contacted Alkycontrol from Florida and ordered a new, purpose built, high capacity pump that should help on the reliability department (no more Snow pumps!). Being about half an inch longer, I had to rethink my set-up since clearance was a big issue ( I did the install at the room left by the battery after moving it to the trunk for handling).

I had to cut and reweld some swivel brass fittings as I was short of about half an inch. My domesticated welder had become very handy in those crazy projects !!. Now, the finished clearance is about 1/16” on the four sides of the pump. I also made a 1 ¼” lower aluminium “pool” to install the pump lower, more in par with the low level reservoir, boosted the gravity capacity feeding with a double T outside the pump with an air connection to the reservoir to prevent starvation under hard acceleration for added protection against possible pump seizing. I calculated that the combined inner diameter directly accessible to the pump, outside the reservoir is now more than enough for a complete boost cycle. The “communicating vase” effect still take effect to help and add meth.

Finally, I also revamped the electronics with HD fuse and connectors for added protection against moisture and Canadian weather on their own “pick-nick table”, stash away bracket.

The finished set-up now can be easily serviced in minutes with pack aside electronics so future problems should be easier to solve. The pump or reservoir can now also serviced independently or as a whole unit with minimal screws and bolts. Here’s a few pics.

FordNut
09-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Nice looking install. What type controller are you using? How long did the Snow Performance pump last?

snowbird
09-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Brian,

The controller is still the stock vacuum operated controller I bought from Snow back in november 2005. I do like it because of simple design, simple to adjust. Beside the reservoir (!), it's the only original part that still works flawlessly from the original kit !!

I've had burn two standard Snow pumps so far. They last about an average of 9 months. I think the Alky ones are better. We'll see.

FordNut
09-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I have the Snow MAF-variable controller and am still on the original pump. I run 50/50 meth/water.
But I only use it occasionally instead of running it constantly.

snowbird
09-16-2007, 05:04 AM
Brian, I run 100% meth as I have only 91 octane available locally and I have to raise the octane rating with meth. Since the vacuum controller work with positive pressure, it doesn't get on it while in vacuum, same occasionaly usage when it counts than yours ! There are 2 knobs to ajust it from 0 to X pounds: The first knob is for onset, and the second one is for full. Mine is ajusted to go on onset at 2 pounds and full not very much further at about 3-4 pounds. Also, in the cockpit, I have 2 gauges and one LED that tell me exactly when it's on and how it is working.

I"m glad your pump still work. The first one I had breaked in the height of the summer, the second one last February (Quebec city in February is pretty far from hot !!) so I don't think it's related with temperature in the engine compartment. When I did my recent upgrade, I did put time to help the flow in and out just in case starvation could have been a factor. I believe the alcool is so corrosive for the inner parts and that the pump break with time, not really with usage which is, anyway, not a lot when you add up all boost cycle, we're talking minutes not hours. But I'm might be wrong.

Julio, from Alkycontrol, told me he unmount all pump and rebuild them to his taste for better alcool resistance prior to put them for sale. All covers sport a very visible silicone bead, proof that he's doin' what he's saying.