PDA

View Full Version : 2007 modding season - atmospheric intake

snowbird
09-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Atmospheric intake :

Last year, I did all the pressurized piping in aluminium to save weight, added rust protection, silicone remodeling and some relocation to my taste. This year, I had to finish it up with the atmospheric section. This consisted of the bended pipe to the air pump and a filter case for the filter. There was also a cosmetic concern to balance the driver side with a cover to complete the passenger side methanol set-up.

Done with some headache as you will note that I had to cut the radiator hose in 3 with 1 ½” aluminium rings to clear the Lithning MAF that come with the Procharger FIT kit. I went to a part supply store and asked the manager to have access of his inventory of rad hoses to find the correct bends. Another occasion to pass for a lunatic and crazy modder !! He did comply dough and the first bend from the rad is a Chevrolet one !!

The box and cover were made with seventeen parts welded together. A simple design, really.

Now, as far as I’m concerned, the engine compartment is done and my 2007 season as well. Time to drink beerSSS !! Here’s a few pics.

O's Fan Rich
09-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Now you're just giving me ideas..... it's really not fair!:high5::2thumbs::2thumbs:

FordNut
09-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Looks good. 2 suggestions:
1. Get rid of the rubber mounting stud thingies for the OEM airbox. The push-in plugs similar to what holds the underhood insulator on (except smaller size) work good to cover the hole up.
2. Make an aluminum radiator cover to match the airbox cover and H2O system cover.

You've got a nice looking setup.

Pat
09-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Your filter box is outstanding. I did the same thing during the summer season and reduced temperature of the air entering the engine by 25 degrees.

Although my material was less permanent both designs are very similiar. I don't have a supercharger (air pump) so my air filter is at a different angle.

Thanks for the pic's, I'm going to use them, with your permission, to have
a permanent box fabricated.

snowbird
09-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Pat, no problem to use the pics. I post to share. MM.net is great for this and sometimes we get helped, sometimes we help or give ideas to others !! :)

snowbird
09-16-2007, 04:26 AM
Brian, thanks for those suggestions. Next year dough as I,m done this year !!

By the way, I will put the car to sleep in november in a heated garage. I bought a beater car, a 2000 VW Jetta VR6 so the fat cat will be a happy camper for our crazy Canucks winter.

HwyCruiser
09-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Yvon, you should buy yourself a TIG welder and start practicing over the winter... it'll probably be cheaper in the long run. Good stuff.

snowbird
09-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Yvon, you should buy yourself a TIG welder and start practicing over the winter... it'll probably be cheaper in the long run. Good stuff.

Yeaa, I'm starting to get addicted to melted aluminum ... !

Raudermaster
09-18-2007, 11:37 AM
If you made that box available to buy, I'd def buy one.

snowbird
09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Well, I don't think it could be cost effective but I guess it would be easier for you to use the pics and see a local guy to fabricate it.

RCSignals
09-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Interesting design Yvon. Nice work