PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference?

cougar9150
09-19-2007, 08:52 PM
I was wondering what is the difference between the 4R70W tranny and the 4R75W found in my car. There are alot of things available that are for the 4R70W such as the Art Carr kit, pan, and this J-Mod procedure (not sure what this actually is :confused:) I keep reading about. Are any of these cross compatible with the 4R75W, or do I need to have specialty work done since it seems as though the parts are either limited or non existent for my tranny. I won't do any of the work myself though since auto tarnies scare me:eek:. Just looking for a little info for future reference.
Also if there are parts available, for my tranny what would be a good starting point? I have a fairly stock 04 that I'm currently starting on suspension mods for it. I want something that will make it feel sportier but without sacrificing too much of the driveability as this is my daily driver. 3:73/4:10 gears will already be in when I start this part of the project so I know that will help with the get up and go part. Any info would be great.

fastcar
09-19-2007, 09:06 PM
My understanding is that the 4R75W is nearly identical to the 4R70W, mainly a name change. The transmissions share all major components, to my knowledge. Try searching 'tccoa jerry' and you should find a site with some good info, and maybe a detailed answer.

I believe you could just go right ahead with the J-MOD which is a separator plate modification, and removal of spring. But, we should get a little more input from our senior transmission experts. Darrin or Zack I know could offer more detail.

fastcar:burnout:

sabtaj1
09-20-2007, 09:39 AM
its pretty much the same. Like fastcar said. Name change. I have a tci deep sump pan for the 4r70w on mine and also did the j-mod. I dont think there is really any difference between the two.

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-20-2007, 10:47 AM
I think they upgraded the torque converter, for faster shifts. Supposedly improved over the 4R70w's.

sweetair
09-20-2007, 11:47 AM
I believe it is a torque diff. 4r70w=4 forward speeds, reverse, 700 lb/ft torque and wide range, the 4r75w has 750 lb/ft. A little beeifer, plus the torque converter is a little higher.

gmtech
09-20-2007, 04:58 PM
4-Fwd speeds...R-RWD...70-torque capacity(series)...W-wide ratio..believe 4R75W is just a name change w/ a higher stall convertor

cougar9150
09-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Okay good as I was hoping. This means I can actually start with the few small things such as the pan. Has anybody installed the Art Carr kit. I had one of his kits in my Cougar before it died and really like how it was over the original interceptor tranny I had. I prefer to bullet proof stuff before I move on to bigger things, so I know this isn't the cost effective route. It just makes me feel safer since it is my daily driver most of the time right now.Thanks for the help.

ImpalaSlayer
09-26-2007, 06:34 PM
thanks for the info even though this isnt my thread ive been wondering the same thing for a while