PDA

View Full Version : Scangauge Mounting

MarauderBoy
09-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I have seen pictures of other members who have mounted the scan gauge in in place of the compass. I prefer this cleaner look and took a quick look at removing the overhead to get at it. I see three screws immediately but guess there are more. Experience tells me I should ask those who have gone before how best to R&R this in order to minimize butchery and broken parts.

Also, can anyone confirm that version II will fit or is it smaller than the compass opening?

Thanks!

fastblackmerc
09-25-2007, 01:22 PM
As soon as I get home I'll look at the overhead console as that is where I plan to mount mine. After I get mine mounted you can send me your console & ScanGauge if you want and I''ll do the marriage of both for a slight fee, with any profits going to MM.net or MCM.com (depending on which site you bought the ScanGauage from).

TheDonk
09-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Yep, 3 screws to remove then just pull down.
6 clips hold it up, but they can be tight.
I use a plastic putty knife to start.
Once it's down 1 cable to unplug.

Sully008
09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I've done this already (followed Zack's footsteps). Getting the console down is the easy part, gutting the compass will require some cojones, though.

I got the Scan Gauge for Christmas from my brother, so...because I have this:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/Sully008/DSCF0157.jpg

I put this in place of the compass:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/Sully008/ScanGauge4.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/Sully008/ScanGauge3.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/Sully008/ScanGauge1.jpg

I forgot my camera this morning so I don't have pics of removal, but here it is in written form:

The easy part is taking down the overhead console. Tthere's one silver Phillips screw @ the front of the console near the windshield, and 2 small black Phillips screws inside the sunglasses holder you will have to take out. From there, just pull down on the console with some force. There's 6 clips that hold it in place, with one electrical connector to remove. The whole thing comes down in one shot.

Note that I did have to extend the wires like Zack did, I added ~12" of length to the cable.

The hard part is the cutting and grinding and test fitting that will need to be done. That, and figuring out how to keep the Lamp buttons active. I actually broke my drivers side button, so I'll have to go back in and fix that eventually. All in all, it took me a couple of hours to do, because I didn't want to rush things. But, it came out pretty good, I can also remove it and use it in other cars with a second cable. It's definately a useful piece, I like the trip functions which shows me how heavy a right foot I have.

FordNut
09-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Does the Mode button do anything? I assume the homelink is lost along with the compass?

fastblackmerc
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Does the Mode button do anything? I assume the homelink is lost along with the compass?

The MODE button is use to calibrate the compass. Since you are removing the compass it will have no use. The HomeLink should still work since it's separate from the compass.

MarauderBoy
09-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I've done this already (followed Zack's footsteps). Getting the console down is the easy part, gutting the compass will require some cojones, though.

The easy part is taking down the overhead console. Tthere's one silver Phillips screw @ the front of the console near the windshield, and 2 small black Phillips screws inside the sunglasses holder you will have to take out. From there, just pull down on the console with some force. There's 6 clips that hold it in place, with one electrical connector to remove. The whole thing comes down in one shot.

Note that I did have to extend the wires like Zack did, I added ~12" of length to the cable.

The hard part is the cutting and grinding and test fitting that will need to be done. That, and figuring out how to keep the Lamp buttons active. I actually broke my drivers side button, so I'll have to go back in and fix that eventually. All in all, it took me a couple of hours to do, because I didn't want to rush things. But, it came out pretty good, I can also remove it and use it in other cars with a second cable. It's definately a useful piece, I like the trip functions which shows me how heavy a right foot I have.

Thanks Mike, this is the installation advice I was looking for. I figured there would be some "force" involved but I always seem to discover the hidden screw when applying persuasion.

Your install looks good and glad that you can use it in other vehicles. Any chance of seeing a night shot?

Mark

FordNut
09-25-2007, 03:40 PM
The MODE button is use to calibrate the compass. Since you are removing the compass it will have no use. The HomeLink should still work since it's separate from the compass.

Cool. Gotta figure out something for that Mode button to do. Can't have a non-functional switch, ya know :)

KillJoy
09-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Cool. Gotta figure out something for that Mode button to do. Can't have a non-functional switch, ya know :)

Line Lock?

Nitrous Arming?

Train Horn?

:D

KillJoy

BruteForce
09-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Line Lock?

Nitrous Arming?

Train Horn?

:D

KillJoy

Ejector seat?

Drewstang
09-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Ejector seat?
My button for that is next to the boost gauge.

A few years ago, I bought a billet lighter from MGW or UPR and it says "EJECT" on it. I put it in place of the stock lighter and it seems to fit in. :burnout:

Sully008
09-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks Mike, this is the installation advice I was looking for. I figured there would be some "force" involved but I always seem to discover the hidden screw when applying persuasion.

Your install looks good and glad that you can use it in other vehicles. Any chance of seeing a night shot?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'll see if I can take some night shots tomorrow. I will warn you, there is some cutting of internals that might you squeemish, but if you're handy with a Dremel, you'll be alright.

Linear Logic
09-26-2007, 09:00 AM
You can always use it as the button you push to activate your cars wings and fly away.

MarauderBoy
09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Well I got the overhead down but started to get remorse about replacing the compass. I'm not sure why because it's not like I even use it. As I'm sitting there debating, I remembered the trick little rearview mirror bracket I got for mounting an Edge controller in my diesel truck. One thing lead to another and I found this (http://www.mgtmotorsports.com/) mount for the MM. Looks like it will work in the MM as well as it does in the truck as the truck has about the same overhead console room as the MM and the Edge appears to be bigger than the SGII.

Zack
09-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Good find Mark, but wont the overhaed console block the scangauge?

rvaldez1
09-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Also, I am not sure as to the weight of the scangauge, but will that be too heavy and cause the mirror to fall off in time?

Zack
09-26-2007, 01:40 PM
It weighs a few ounces

MarauderBoy
09-26-2007, 06:31 PM

I think it will be close - but cool if it works! Hope to get this Friday and let everyone know. It's great in the truck

1stMerc
09-26-2007, 08:23 PM
I think it will be close - but cool if it works! Hope to get this Friday and let everyone know. It's great in the truck

Just ordered one. Looks like it should fit. If not on top figure i can modify to fit under.

Thanks for posting MarauderBoy

chucky
09-30-2007, 04:43 PM
which one did you use I see they have different sizes.

1stMerc
09-30-2007, 06:55 PM
which one did you use I see they have different sizes.

I went for the "univeral" heads one.

chucky
10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
thanks, I just ordered mine.

MarauderBoy
10-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Just ordered one. Looks like it should fit. If not on top figure i can modify to fit under.

Thanks for posting MarauderBoy

Well Zack and 1st Merc were right, it didn't fit on top. At least I didn't like it there. But it does fit on the bottom! I must really be a geek because I think it turned out well...of course, your mileage may vary. The cool thing is that it removes quickly and came with an extra cable so it can be mounted in another vehicle. Total install time - 20 minutes. Reading the manual to understand what it can do - the rest of the night!

Check the gallery for photos. I think they may be too large to post here.

1stMerc
10-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Well Zack and 1st Merc were right, it didn't fit on top. At least I didn't like it there. But it does fit on the bottom! I must really be a geek because I think it turned out well...of course, your mileage may vary. The cool thing is that it removes quickly and came with an extra cable so it can be mounted in another vehicle. Total install time - 20 minutes. Reading the manual to understand what it can do - the rest of the night!

Check the gallery for photos. I think they may be too large to post here.

Looks good MarauderBoy

Mine just came today and preliminary check looks like it will fit up there on top, but like you said may not like it there, will see tomorrow.
After playing around with the gauge over the weekend, i can see a desire to get a second one. So much info with the Xguage programed in.
This mount makes it a doable task. Both slick inventions.

MarauderBoy
10-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Looks good MarauderBoy

Mine just came today and preliminary check looks like it will fit up there on top, but like you said may not like it there, will see tomorrow.
After playing around with the gauge over the weekend, i can see a desire to get a second one. So much info with the Xguage programed in.
This mount makes it a doable task. Both slick inventions.

Funny you should say that as I was thinking the same thing and whether there might be an extended bracket that could mount two on top of each other. On the other hand, I think that might cross the "over the top" line!

Still, it does capture a lot of data...hmmm (*as I sit in the car and ponder possible locations*)

MarauderBoy
10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I played around with the bracket a little more to see if I could get it to mount on top and still view it well. Well whaddayaknow, it does fit well and is much more stealthy.

You now have 2 options, take your pick.

Option 1 BELOW (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/7/5/IMG_0077.jpg) rearview
Option 2 ABOVE (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/7/5/IMG_0091.jpg) rearview

Linear Logic
10-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Above seems a lot safer :P
I do have some of those mounts from MGT in stock by the way.

fastblackmerc
10-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Above seems a lot safer :P
I do have some of those mounts from MGT in stock by the way.

How much for the mount?

1stMerc
10-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I played around with the bracket a little more to see if I could get it to mount on top and still view it well. Well whaddayaknow, it does fit well and is much more stealthy.

You now have 2 options, take your pick.

Option 1 BELOW (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/7/5/IMG_0077.jpg) rearview
Option 2 ABOVE (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/7/5/IMG_0091.jpg) rearview

Cool beans, top does look better.
What were doing sitting at 11xx rpm sitting still?

MarauderBoy
10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Cool beans, top does look better.
What were doing sitting at 11xx rpm sitting still?

That's funny you noticed that! Every time I would hit the button to turn the Scangauge on, it would turn off before I could focus the camera. I started the car so the display would stay on. You're seeing the fast idle from start up.

Thanks for supporting the effort to get it to fit up there, I wouldn't have reconsidered it this morning without you thinking that it was still possible. I like it better too.

I was able to program the horsepower and torque settings in. They're a hoot!:banana:

1stMerc
10-02-2007, 07:19 PM
That's funny you noticed that! Every time I would hit the button to turn the Scangauge on, it would turn off before I could focus the camera. I started the car so the display would stay on. You're seeing the fast idle from start up.

Thanks for supporting the effort to get it to fit up there, I wouldn't have reconsidered it this morning without you thinking that it was still possible. I like it better too.

I was able to program the horsepower and torque settings in. They're a hoot!:banana:

It is fun watching those numbers go up and down while driving. Now just have to find that long stretch of road.

Programmed tranny fluid and cylinder head temps in this morning. Tranny only got as high as 167 with the cooler.

Don't know about you but i got to figure out a way to get another one up there when i get back from Seymour.

ImpalaSlayer
10-02-2007, 07:19 PM
thats sweet man i gota get one of these

BruteForce
10-02-2007, 07:37 PM
How much for the mount?

Cheaper than direct. Send Linear Logic a PM. :D

chucky
10-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Got it mounted this weekend with the universal mirror mount. I ran the wire across the pass side & up, didnt have to remove the mirror either so it was pretty easy the hardest parts fishing the cable up the A pillar
Looks good. I didnt want to alter the car so it works good for me.

1stMerc
10-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Same here, across, down, under and across with junction located glove box opening.