PDA

View Full Version : MTX Thunder Enclosure

stillprint
09-25-2007, 04:40 PM
John,

I have a MTX Thunder TCE5512XD, 2 12" 5500 Series enclosure. I recently found out that both subs are blown. I am looking for replacements that would work good in the MTX enclosure. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Hershell

rvaldez1
09-25-2007, 08:48 PM
John,

I have a MTX Thunder TCE5512XD, 2 12" 5500 Series enclosure. I recently found out that both subs are blown. I am looking for replacements that would work good in the MTX enclosure. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Hershell

2- mtx 12" 5500 subs.

stillprint
09-25-2007, 09:13 PM
2- mtx 12" 5500 subs.
yea, but since i already blew those, i was thinking could he recommend anything that may be able to hold more power. I was thinking some mtx 7500s, but would they really be a upgrade?

magindat
09-26-2007, 04:34 AM
If you blew 2 5500's on that alpine amp, you have other issues...

Since it's 2 -12's, its likely in the trunk where you can't hear the distortion when the amp is clipping. The speaker coils end up slamming themselves against the pole yoke (back of magnet) when the amp clips and can't tell the speaker what to do.

In a case like this, speakers are more likely to blow with LESS power than with more due to headroom and clipping.

Get 2 new 5500's. A speaker with more power handling isn't gonna help. Match your input level (amp gain) to your deck's output. Play the hardest music you have with the trunk OPEN. Listen for distortion, then back off a notch. Don't ever exceed that setting or you'll blow another set.

Good Luck.

Pops
09-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Rich is correct in his advice. You also have to watch it from cd to cd as some have more bass than others. When playing loud to show your friends turn it up for a few seconds and then take it back down. If you can let me know if you have single or dual voice coils on your speakers I will send you a price on new ones. If you want heavier duty speakers a bigger amp would be in order. Are you using 4 guage power wire and do you have a good ground? This can also make a huge difference in performance.

John

stillprint
09-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Rich is correct in his advice. You also have to watch it from cd to cd as some have more bass than others. When playing loud to show your friends turn it up for a few seconds and then take it back down. If you can let me know if you have single or dual voice coils on your speakers I will send you a price on new ones. If you want heavier duty speakers a bigger amp would be in order. Are you using 4 guage power wire and do you have a good ground? This can also make a huge difference in performance.

John
Thanks John and Magindat. I will definitely take head to your advice to prevent this from happening again. They were both single voice coil 4 ohm speakers, wired into 2 ohms. And yes, I already have the 4 gauge wire, etc..

Thanks again, guys!