PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Smell?

Raudermaster
10-01-2007, 11:59 AM
This is weird, not really sure if my mind thinks this, or if this is the real smell. I got to class one morning, stepped out and smelled something unusual. Naturally I popped the hood. Engine oil was fine, pulled out the tranny dipstick and it had a different smell, not a burnt smell, nor a regular "sweet" smell just kind of in the middle. My tranny shifts fine and nothing seems out of the ordinary, however, there have been incidents where I take OD off, stomp on it to downshift and it seems like the car doesn't pull, but the engine winds out, then shifts into the next gear and takes off. I have the stock T/C in and I don't think it should be doing this. Could my T/C be going or what? It's still under warranty, and I plan on bringing the car in before I store it for winter and am going to have them go through the whole car (before I install the blower.) What do you think?

Raudermaster
10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
No one?....

Tom Doan
10-04-2007, 04:34 AM
Take it in and get the tranny fluid changed.

03mara300b
10-04-2007, 06:04 AM
How many miles are on your fluid ?

ckadiddle
10-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Any other cars parked nearby? I often freak out when I get out of the car in the parking garage at work, then realize it's someone else's vehicle that reeks of coolant etc. I am just a bit paranoid after driving so many leaky crapmobiles in my youth. I will never get used to owning cars that are new enough to rarely leak anything.

Raudermaster
10-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I just turned 28k, assuming the fluid is original and the first owner (I'm the 2nd) didn't have it changed. I purchased the car with 13k on it. Doesn't it say to have it done at 30k? Funny you should mention that ckadiddle, I was stuck behind a crummy old Camaro that reeked of oil and any other fluids you could think of. Perhaps that was the car, and the smell got sucked into my defroster? But can someone explain the "powerless" downshift though that I experience every now and again?

offroadkarter
10-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I just turned 28k, assuming the fluid is original and the first owner (I'm the 2nd) didn't have it changed. I purchased the car with 13k on it. Doesn't it say to have it done at 30k? Funny you should mention that ckadiddle, I was stuck behind a crummy old Camaro that reeked of oil and any other fluids you could think of. Perhaps that was the car, and the smell got sucked into my defroster? But can someone explain the "powerless" downshift though that I experience every now and again?

Your getting a supercharger, might as well get the tranny fluid changed and a 3500 torque converter.

Raudermaster
10-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Converter I can hold off, since I sold one TO get the s/c lol. No, before I put the blower on, I'm bringing it in to get everything checked over before the blower goes on.

03mara300b
10-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I would have the pan dropped ( check for shavings) and have the filter changed. Then have it flushed. Take it to the dealer. Do not take it to one of those quick lube places. It should be around $ 185.00, money well spent.

Raudermaster
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I will have a filter kit installed too. Thing is, it would be going to a GM dealer since that's where I bought it. I wonder if they know enough to use Merc V?

03mara300b
10-05-2007, 05:17 AM
Call and ask a service adviser . If it sounds like bs call another Merc. or Ford dealer and see if you get the same answer. I had a part guy at one dealer tell me a part was not available, called another dealer the part is available.

burt ragio
10-05-2007, 05:46 AM
If the problem is not a slightly cloged filter and dirty fluid with the low milage I would be surprised. Keep us posted.