PDA

View Full Version : Question on kit and tuning

Eric91Z
10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
OK, I have a couple of questions:

1) Those of you that have the FIT kit, did you have an XCal2 prior to this kit?
2) If so, did you re-load the stock tune and use the Diablo tuner with the kit?
3) Can the XCal2 be used for the tuner and save on the kit?
4) If not, can the XCal2 be sold to someone else with the same computer code and gear setup I have?
5) Any recommendations for a tuner, specifically a dyno equiped tuner in the Midwest area?

I am just asking as a new cooling mod may make the Trilogy setup no longer and option. And the FIT kit has always been my next choice. And Lidio has said he doesn't like to tune centrifugal blowers on the Marauder, although I could probably get him to tune it if I installed, but he uses the SCT software for tuning.

Just asking questions, again. I already have 4.10s, so I am good to go there. Just don't want to lose any driveablilty with the car and want to make sure it is tuned correctly AND safely.

And how about an update from you guys with this FIT kit? Something like this:

1) Kit #
2) How long on the car?
3) Self installed or have someone install?
4) Issues (other than eating up tires and using gas)?
5) Tuned by?
6) Supporting modifications?

Like I said, I already have 4.10's, planning on seeing Todd for Kooks long tubes and full 2 1/2" exhaust with x-pipe and high flow cats, already have full Metco and Addco setup. Will be planning on a brake upgrade.

Other than maybe a torque converter, any thing else you would do with the FIT kit? Since the car is no longer a daily driver I have thought of upgrading the kit with the D-1SC and 3 core intercooler, but keep boost in check until the motor is built with a forged lower end. Then pump the boost up and have fun.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? OK, no need to answer the second question as I already know the answer.

magindat
10-03-2007, 10:37 AM

YES
No. the predator extracted the SCT tune as a backup and loaded the tune it contained.
Yes, however 1) It would be unwise to deviate from any given kit. 2) You would have to have the car TOWED to the dyno or you would have to rely on an SCT dealer to give you a 'guesstimate' tune. Summary: you wouldn't be saving anyting.
4) If not, can the XCal2 be sold to someone else with the same computer code and gear setup I have?
If you return the car to stock witht he SCT, you can unlock it with Extreme Tune software downloadable from SCT and sell the tuner.
5) Any recommendations for a tuner, specifically a dyno equiped tuner in the Midwest area?
I'm in SFL

I am just asking as a new cooling mod may make the Trilogy setup no longer and option. And the FIT kit has always been my next choice. And Lidio has said he doesn't like to tune centrifugal blowers on the Marauder, although I could probably get him to tune it if I installed, but he uses the SCT software for tuning.
You wouln't be able to drive the car to his shop after install, but before tuning.

Just asking questions, again. I already have 4.10s, so I am good to go there. Just don't want to lose any driveablilty with the car and want to make sure it is tuned correctly AND safely.
There are many of us here who have the FIT setup in SFL. We rely on Scott Beer formerly of DiabloSport for tuning. Perhaps he could send you a tune?

1) Kit #
2) How long on the car?
2wks
Sunshine State Marauders Centrifugal install team
Gas mileage has improved on my setup.
5) Tuned by?
Scott Beer @ D'Agostino Racing (formerly of DiabloSport)
Are you kidding? Too much to list. See web site in sig.

Like I said, I already have 4.10's, planning on seeing Todd for Kooks long tubes and full 2 1/2" exhaust with x-pipe and high flow cats, already have full Metco and Addco setup. Will be planning on a brake upgrade.
You'll definitely need brakes.

Other than maybe a torque converter, any thing else you would do with the FIT kit? Since the car is no longer a daily driver I have thought of upgrading the kit with the D-1SC and 3 core intercooler, but keep boost in check until the motor is built with a forged lower end. Then pump the boost up and have fun.
If you aren't scared to spend the $$ to upgrade the blower and intercooler, why skimping on the tuner?

Thoughts? Am I crazy? OK, no need to answer the second question as I already know the answer.
If you are, I must be, too. I had to ask lots of Q's B4 I got the FIT kit, too!

Answers above in RED.

Eric91Z
10-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Answers above in RED.

Not really looking to "skimp" on the tuner. Just seems that I have one here already why not use it if possible? But I understand the Diablo being used for the kit and that's fine. Would just be nice to sell the XCal2 to get a littel cash back.

As for the upgrades, pricing wise it is more economical to do the upgrades at initial purchase instead of upgrading later. So if I am thinking of more HP long term then why not upgrade to start with and be out ahead - as long as the car is tuned right.

I figure that has to be some kind of tuning available somewhere around here especially since I am only about 3 hours from KC where the kit originates from... ;)

Again, just kicking around ideas and looking for information.

magindat
10-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Got it. Figured that.

If you do the D1SC upgrade, you're gonna need a custom tune anyways. So, might as well figure that cost into you budget.

With my many mods before the kit, I asked for a super-conservative, pig-rich tune. All it had to do was get me back and forth to work for a week and down to Scott's for a dyno. A total of maybe 200 miles without stepping into it over 4K RPM.

Sounds like your REAL mission is to find a super-good tuner near you who understands our WEIGHT issues and go with SCT or Diablo based on waht THAT tuner runs.

Eric91Z
10-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Sounds like your REAL mission is to find a super-good tuner near you who understands our WEIGHT issues and go with SCT or Diablo based on waht THAT tuner runs.

You know this was never something I had thought about until this past weekend talking with Don from Even Flow Cooling. He said he actually likes Mustang Dyno's better as they can be pre-loaded with actual car weight where as DynoJet dynos just have the weight of the rollers which is around 3000 lbs or so. So if your tuner uses a DynoJet and doesn't take in to account that our cars are around 1000 lbs. heaver than the average DynoJet rollers and tune accordingly, it can be off.

Maybe I would look at installing here, putting a base tune in to get it running to load on the trailer, and take it to Lidio since he does know our cars quite well. From what I have read between the 2 sites he would be the most reputable tuner that is relatively close to me here in Iowa. And I have been out there once for him and his crew to work on the Marauder mine as well get out there again since he does know these cars.

magindat
10-03-2007, 11:43 AM
All true. Worse comes to worst, just winch the car onto the trailer and haul it to Lidio. No one said it HAS to run!
Also, I bet a base Vortech kit tune would work. It's a very similar setup making about the same PSI at about the same RPM ranges. You could have one of those sent to you from Reinhart with a rich fuel curve and some timing put in it. Now that I think about it, his non-ic kit tune would probly be rich enough and have REALLY conservative timing. That puts you on SCT, which is good for Lidio AND good for you.
I bet if you called and offered DR a few bucks. he'd send you that tune. Heck, knowin' him, he'd likely send it for nuthin, but I'd send him a few bucks anyways!!!

da'law
10-03-2007, 12:06 PM

1) Kit #
2) How long on the car?
8 Months
Self install
Only one, I chose the under car intercooler system and forgot it was there and bent the scoop when parking it. Otherwise no problems, gas mileage hardly changed (unless my foot is in it) and have been very happy with it and during the self install Greg and Mike were excellent to work with via phone when problems arose during the install.
5) Tuned by?
Used tune that came with kit, finer tuning coming later
4:10, Detroit True-Trac, 31 spline axles, control arms, brakes, sway bars front and rear.

I still have my SCT with a tune from Lidio and was hoping to work with him on reusing it for the FIT kit because I like the way the shift pattern is set up on it when I was N/A.

snowbird
10-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, I went to Lidio as I was having problem with canadian 91 octane fuel. I was having my predator in the trunk and we revirginized it to stock and then went with SCT tuner and software that I, of course, had to buy. A 5 - 6 minutes minutes thing to change from tuner brand. I later sold the Predator tuner used without problem.

True, Lidio is not a fan of centrifugal in Marauders and Procharger. But, he did a great conservative tune with SCT on my car and i'm on it since 1 1/2 years.

I guess anything is doable.