PDA

View Full Version : Line Lock users beware

magindat
10-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I have a Summit line lock. It is actually a rebadged Hurst.

Before you give me any crap I have held both in hand, side by side as we did 3 in one weekend.

It has a o-ring sealed plugged port on the bottom that is apparently there to assemble/service/retain the spring.

A few days ago that o-ring split. Shredded. Sprayed fluid all over the frame and headers. Pedal went to the floor. Very little stopping power. Pumped out about half the reservoir by the time I got 3 blocks home. This o-ring holds pressure even when NOT using the lock.

Thankfully, this happened at my 'Private Track' near home.

It appears to have been a defective or poorly installed o-ring at manufacture. Since the Summit and Hurst are the same, I assume they are manufactured together.

I purchased a new o-ring and reassembled the line lock and all appears fine. I'm just putting this out there for safety awareness.

Blackmobile
10-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I do remember during the install that the nut on top of the solenoid was loose on Gregg's unit ( which was a re badged Hurst unit ) which I tightened. I remember this because the solenoid was able to spin in the heat sink. The solenoid that I got which was an authentic Hurst unit was all tight when I got it. I remembered yours didn't appear to be loose, so tightening didn't seem to be necessary. But it's still a good idea to check the assemblies just in case for the future.

Ed

magindat
10-04-2007, 12:59 PM
I do remember during the install that the nut on top of the solenoid was loose on Gregg's unit ( which was a re badged Hurst unit ) which I tightened. I remember this because the solenoid was able to spin in the heat sink. The solenoid that I got which was an authentic Hurst unit was all tight when I got it. I remembered yours didn't appear to be loose, so tightening didn't seem to be necessary. But it's still a good idea to check the assemblies just in case for the future.

Ed

The top one is supposed to be loose to adjust the angle direction of the lines vs mounting point if needed, then tightened. Not all cars would be a neat 90 like ours (thank you, sir). This was the BOTTOM nut which was not at all loose, but suffered an o-ring blow-out nonetheless.

cyclopsram
10-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Can't the line lock be put in either front or rear brake lines in the split system and thus leave you with one axles worth of brakes...if one half of the reservoir goes dry you still have the other one working?