PDA

View Full Version : HELP Ignition dies when hot 68 LTD

Thomas C Potter
10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I thought I'd be smart and put a Pertronix unit and coil on. Ran fine until it got realy warm (205 deg). I put back the points/coil, runs fine until hot again!!@!#$$%! What should I be looking for?? Any local electrical ace willing to come by, I'll pay.

TP in Fairfax VA

TooManyFords
10-08-2007, 08:23 PM
sounds like the coil is getting too hot.

John

RCSignals
10-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Sounds like it isn't the Pertronix.

You say it died with both the original and pertronix coil? Seems odd they both would be bad and heat sensitive.

Condensers also can do this when overheated, but if it is doing it with the pertronix module as well it probably isn't that.

You could try locating the coil in a less heat sensitive spot.

Are you sure you aren't experiencing vapour lock or having some other fuel delivery problem when hot?

69marquis conv
10-09-2007, 04:35 AM
The next time this happens try to get your hands on the wiring leads going to your ignition switch and see if they're hot. The culprit could be the connection at the switch itself. These old Fords & Mercs in your year range had an issue with excessive resistance building up in that connection, and the age of the connection just makes it worse. Pulling a lot of amps in hot climates will cause it to rear it's ugly head quickly. If you can find a new pigtail to splice in you'll probably solve the problem.