PDA

View Full Version : Warped rotors

magindat
10-08-2007, 07:05 AM
I use Baer Decela Rotors and Akebono Ceramic pads with KVR braided steel lines. I stop.

DAVEREALTOR
10-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I am sick of bouncing down the road with OEM warped rotors. I've read the garage comments available from the past, but am still undecided(except not going back to Ford). Has anyone tried the slotted and drilled rotors from brakeperformance.com?
The lifetime warranty against cracking and warping sounds too good to be true.
Look about the same price as Brembo slotted.
What should I do?

Raudermaster
10-09-2007, 05:09 PM
I have dimipled/slotted rotors that I just got for my birthday, finally installed them this past weekend. So far, so good. Of course, I don't have a lot of hard driving on them yet. A lot of guys here have the Wilwood setup's and seem very pleased with them. Of course, price is a factor with those.

Paul
10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I just put basic oem-style rotors on from Carquest weekend before last, along with wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads (fronts only). smooth braking, quiet operation. bedded them in same day. they replaced kvr cross-drilled rotors and semi-metallic pads. I know this is a step-down, but the cross-drilled had about 50k miles on them (prior owner's upgrade), and I did not like the pedal feel. Perhaps they didn't fade, but they always required a greater degree of force to stop the car - just didn't feel right to me. the downgraded rotors feel like what I expect from brakes.

DAVEREALTOR
10-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Thanks For The Input. I'm Now Torn Between Command Rotors And Those At Brakeperformance.com. Any Other Input From Happy Or Unhappy Users Of These Would Be Great.

99SVT
10-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I have Powerslot slotted rotors and Hawk semi metallic pads. They make a little bit of noise while braking with cold brakes but quiet down as they heat up. Also, the hotter you get them the more they grip, slowing down from highway speeds I have to let off the brakes slightly after the first 20' or I'm pulling myself off the windshield.

ckadiddle
10-11-2007, 08:02 AM
You can see Command rotors going on my MM here:
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/ckadiddle/command%20rotors/

They work well with the Hawk HPS pads that I already had on the car. The front rotors were slightly thicker by a few millimeters than the OEMs wich probably explains why the pedal feels a little better to me. I have driven through the rainy Florida summer, deep puddles etc with no warping so far.

In all honesty, I had not had any trouble from the OEM style rotors as far as warping. I replaced them on a whim when I could get the Commands at a discounted price.

DAVEREALTOR
10-11-2007, 08:20 AM
I've decided to buy the Command rotors. Their customer service rep. tells me that I might be wasting my money if my calipers are "out of parallel". I've got 77,300 miles on the original factory rotors. They were turned at about 40,000 miles and ceramic NAPA pads added, and were smooth for about 11,000 miles, the started the "warp bounce dance" again. I had them turned again at about 57,000 and they are ready to be thrown away. Does that sound like a caliper problem? I don't see any hot spots, but of course the dealer would just like to rebuild the car for about $2000 bucks.
I found rebuilt A1CARDONE calipers at autopartswarehouse for about $71 &55 each, and at NAPA for about $108 &55 EACH. DON'T KNOW ONE FROM THE OTHER.
I'm probably not smart enough to put a kit in the old ones. Seeking more advice.
Thanks

Hadamustang1
10-11-2007, 09:18 AM
I don't know if this would be a upgrade or not. but the price is right

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Marauder-03-04-F-R-DRILL-SLOT-BRAKE-ROTORS-PADS_W0QQitemZ220157373939QQih Z012QQcategoryZ33564QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ctrlraven
10-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I bought some EBC dimpled/slotted rotors from autopartswarehouse.com, they have worked great besides using the EBC green stuff pads which were eating them up cause their was too much metal in them. Switched to Napa pads that Zack recommend and things have been fine ever since.

gmtech
10-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I bought some EBC dimpled/slotted rotors from autopartswarehouse.com, they have worked great besides using the EBC green stuff pads which were eating them up cause their was too much metal in them. Switched to Napa pads that Zack recommend and things have been fine ever since.
so you have no complaints with the ebc rotors?...do you have frnt and rear?

Paul
10-11-2007, 05:38 PM
You may or may not know the calipers have slide pins at either end which must be greased. If the grease is not up to spec, the offending slide will stick, causing uneven pressure application to the rotor and either warping, or feeling like warping. The grease used must be high-temp brake caliper grease - I always use synthetic silicone-based, you can get small packets at any flap.

Had this problem once with a honda back in the 90's. Had a front brake job at Midas, paid for rebuilt calipers, and after a 1,000 miles it started to feel warped (severe vibration when braking). got the rotors turned again under midas' lifetime warranty, lasted about a 1000 miles, warped feeling again. did this a couple more times before doing some research and finding out about silicone synthetic caliper grease. applied it myself - problem solved. never ever used midas again.

LILALLEYKATT
10-11-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't know if this would be a upgrade or not. but the price is right

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Marauder-03-04-F-R-DRILL-SLOT-BRAKE-ROTORS-PADS_W0QQitemZ220157373939QQih Z012QQcategoryZ33564QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I just put a set of these e-bay rotors on and re-used my NAPA ceramic pads and they are excellent so far. Read the fine print and opt for the $50 upgrade rotors. They came in a box that said Boss on them. Probally something made in China but for less than $300 shipped I rate this up-grade a best buy that will tide me over til I get the Wilwoods.

ctrlraven
10-11-2007, 07:42 PM
so you have no complaints with the ebc rotors?...do you have frnt and rear?
I just have them on the front for right now, no complaints so far and I have about eh 15k + miles on them I guess. I also have the KVR SS lines which made them feel even better after switching from EBC green stuff pads (junk!) to the Napa ceramic pads.

Napa p/n
Fronts: CMX7834

Rears: CMX7835

Sharky
10-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Can anybody recommend a source for the KVR braided brake lines? I can't seem to find them.

RF Overlord
10-17-2007, 04:48 AM
Try Dennis Reinhart.

magindat
10-17-2007, 04:58 AM
Can anybody recommend a source for the KVR braided brake lines? I can't seem to find them.

http://reinhartautomotive.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=12345&Product_Code=MM-SSBL&Category_Code=9

http://reinhartautomotive.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/RPE%20Brake%20Lines%201.jpg

MarauderMark
10-17-2007, 05:01 AM
I got rotors drilled and slotted w/ pads that i purchased from irotors on ebay.Other than having the fronts cut once these look and drive with no problems.i also still have my originals(rotors n pads) that were taken off @ about 43k and they still have about another 50/70k left on em.

Fronts ...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/487000-487999/487512_98_full.jpg

Rear...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/487000-487999/487512_97_full.jpg
I do have a lead foot but i glide to a stop and always have 1 full car length between me and the car in front.
I have 56k on it now...

Bigdough
10-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback about the Ebay rotors. Looks like Im going this route, for the price it looks like they cant be beat.

ctrlraven
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Price isn't everything, remember that.

MarauderMark
10-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Price isn't everything, remember that.

Ahh young$ter..with $o much enthu$ia$m.I remember tho$e day$.:D

Bigdough
10-17-2007, 10:58 AM
HAHA, yea I know.

I really want a BBK, but since they are pretty expensive and I will be needing some new brakes here soon, I thought Id try out the Ebay rotors, since they look nicer than stock and according to a couple people already, function just as well as the stockers.

ctrlraven
10-17-2007, 11:26 AM
HAHA, yea I know.

I really want a BBK, but since they are pretty expensive and I will be needing some new brakes here soon, I thought Id try out the Ebay rotors, since they look nicer than stock and according to a couple people already, function just as well as the stockers.

Don't buy brakes that are going to function as well as stock ones, buy something to stop you faster lol.

Yeah I want a BBK too but since I run the 16" steel wheels for winter use that is way out of the question of happening. I'd have to wait for my MM to become a spring-fall only car.

Sharky
10-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Try Dennis Reinhart.

http://reinhartautomotive.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=12345&Product_Code=MM-SSBL&Category_Code=9

*smacks forehead* Thanks guys - I didn't remember seeing them in the Grand Marquis department, and it didn't occur to me to look under Marauder. I'm assuming they would fit the MGM (?).

MarauderMark
10-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Ahh young$ter..with $o much enthu$ia$m.I remember tho$e day$.:D

Man if i had the money i would buy wildwoods totaly awsome system..
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/cgi-bin/brakes/cginews.pl?record=11

DeadVic
10-23-2007, 07:46 AM
I just did the command upgrade Friday. I broke them in Friday night and then abused them Saturday. I love the fact they don't really fade after repeated hard, high speed stops. I ran three 125MPH emergency stops, back to back, and no problems so far.