PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Repair

Dave Compson
10-14-2007, 10:04 AM
This is not marauder related. I have a stock bose radio in my 91 300zx that needs repair. The deck has issues, and only two of the four bose speakers are working. Do you know (or can your shop) repair places i can sent it to?

I know everybody will just tell me to replace the whole system with aftermarket, but my car is completely stock. So, in the interest of keeping the entire car all original l, i thought i would try to have the system repaired.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

BAD MERC
10-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Bose? I would have replaced it when the car was three days old. It is WAYYYYY cheaper to replace the system. you're dealing with 17 year-old electronics. The system in that car has a DIN head unit which is easily replaceable and all the speakers are likely one of the detrimental factors to the failure of the radio. Since you did not say what was wrong, I can assume (since I have done this for 19 years) that the inferior foam surrounds on the speakers have rotted and fallen off, leaving unsupported speaker cones laying against the inside of the voice coil. This creates a dead short which then wipes out the amplifier and signal source. Some had the amp under the passenger seat, others had each speaker with a built-in amplifier. Of course, I could be wrong.

Dave Compson
10-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Apparently, each speaker has its own bose amp built in. The head unit's tape function dosent work, and it wont fade or balance. You know what... maybe i should just but a nice new head unit, and four nice speakers. Damm, i really wanted to keep it stock for collectors sake.

Thanks for the reply though.

fastblackmerc
10-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Maybe you can take the faceplate off the stock unit and use it to cover the aftermarket faceplate so it looks stock.

BAD MERC
10-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Apparently, each speaker has its own bose amp built in. The head unit's tape function dosent work, and it wont fade or balance. You know what... maybe i should just but a nice new head unit, and four nice speakers. Damm, i really wanted to keep it stock for collectors sake.

Thanks for the reply though.Keep the stock stuff and put it back in for collector status if you sell it. Every piece on my Marauder that is not stock is stored at my house for use if, IF, IF I ever sell it.