PDA

View Full Version : Trans fluid

magindat
10-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm going to swap out some trans fluid this weekend. I have an Art Carr pan with a plug.

I understand it will drain 4-5 quarts for replacement.

I read here somewhere that someone pulls the the cooler line and idles the car to pump out nearly 8 quarts for replacement. Is this acceptable or in any way damaging to the trans?

I have 7 quarts of Red Line D4 (from 2 power packs). I figure that will be a very good start.

I have about 15K miles on new Castrol from when the tranny was upgraded last year. I'd like to swap out as much as I can with D4 this first go round and then do regular changes with just what will drain.

KillJoy
10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Power is always applied to the TC..... right?

If so, I would not want to drain all of the fluid out while the engine is running.

KillJoy

Zack
10-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Simply crack all of the valve body bolts loose and wait an hour.
You will get appx 10-11 quarts out.

RF Overlord
10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Rich, it's generally recognised as safe to perform the DIY fluid exchange by disconnecting the line from the cooler to the transmission and redirecting it into a large bucket. Start the car and add fluid to the dipstick as it's pumped out until you've replaced the desired amount. This way nothing ever runs dry.

fastblackmerc
10-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Why not buy more Redline and take it to a shop that can power flush it? You supply the fluid. I think it's too risky doing it the cooler line way.

magindat
10-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info. IF this is the case, I'll simply go the 'dilution' route and change as many quarts as will drain every 2nd oil change.

RF Overlord
10-15-2007, 12:54 PM
I'll simply go the 'dilution' route and change as many quarts as will drain every 2nd oil change.That's the way I do it. :up: This is fine if the fluid has been properly looked after since new (or in your case, rebuild).

Zack
10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Just crack the valve body loose rich.
Its the easiest, cheapest, safest way.

magindat
10-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Just crack the valve body loose rich.
Its the easiest, cheapest, safest way.

I agree, Zack, but my lazy arse don't wanna drop the pan.

ts-pa
11-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Zach, will that remove the fluid from the torque converter also? <--Disregard, I read the whole thread again. Question answered.